AllTorque's 1970 Buick Sportwagon

AllTorque

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can bog over 2 part epoxy just fine, if you are buying a modern filler like evercoat etc it does not trap moisture and the data sheets say its fine to use on bare metal. Just epoxy prime it after you have done the work don't drag it out and leave metal and filler open to the world for ages.

Either filler on bare metal or over epoxy primer, then seal it up with epoxy. If you use any single stage paints I will stab you, rattle cans go in the bin.

• Like 1

The market and information is all fucked up for the hobbyist car painter. The professional grade manufacturers really don't want you using their shit, you will most likely use it wrong and its kind of a dangerous good. The parts stores can't really fork out 2 part paint to every retard so they sell cans of paint technology from years ago, there is no system, no real data sheets its crap. Add all that up and you have a toilet of information. Go watch what a body restoration guy will use, all 2 part products that we mention on old school twice a week. You can do everything with 2 part epoxy primer, seal metal, seal your bog (under and over) , you can wet coat it, you can brush it on,  it doesn't sand very well but you can block out for a top coat on it if you wish. It doesn't have isocyanates like Urethane paint so its not deadly. It is the staple tool in doing any body work on a car.

Etch primer is old as fuck, it doesn't seal anything, you do not bog on it. throw it in the bin.

• Thanks 1

+1 for Spencer's advice. That's what I've been doing and have not had any issues yet. Another tip I was told, and have used, is when prepping for bog over epoxy, scratch up the bare metal with an old file or something before applying the epoxy so it gives the metal a rough surface to help the bog bond. It gave me peace of mind if nothing else. Some epoxys you can apply and then bog straight over the next day without any prep between which can be a bonus.

• Like 1