AllTorque's 1970 Buick Sportwagon

AllTorque

Replaced all the dash bulbs, fit new headlight switch, wired in the back light on the aftermarket temp gauge too. All working mint now, including the dimmer function built into the switch.

Next job while it was apart was to figure out why the horn didn't work from the button. Ever since I have had it there has been a switch under the dash and some extra wire running to the horns.

First I had to find the horn relay. It was all the way over here. Held in by this bolt.

pe1swtqb.ail.jpg

Whipped it open for a quick look. Seemed all good.

tw32s35i.v5j.jpg

The relay wasn't plugged in. This must be the problem, plugged it in and still no horn. The key buzzer works now tho. What a noise. Ended up removing the wire for the key buzzer.

Relay wiring for reference.

jt4nc2av.qj2.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next step was to check the horn ring. Got the steering column apart.

nztpqf22.qhr.jpg

There's the problem. Wire to the horn button has been pulled off the horn ring.

us3nff2g.g1s.jpg

Closed up the gap an soldered the wire back on.

We have a horn. Great success!

Other jobs done while I was there were, get the cig lighter cleaned up so it works better, removed aftermarket wiring that goes no where, WD40 down the speedo cable to try to loose a squeak, reconnected the link to the gear position display, and move up all the wires that were dangling.

Discuss Here

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I found both the inner headlights were blown. All the headlights were still sealed beam. The light output has always been pretty rubbish, so now is a good time for an upgrade.

I managed to find these semi sealed lamps on trade me from seller '2dmanx' that are still the old style, domed lens. Most of the new stuff has a clear flat lens and the reflector does all the work. They probably work better, but just don't look right.

rzwh2qgl.2bn.jpeg

Picked up some 100w bulbs, in yellow for lols. They put out a huge amount of heat, so I'll probably put normal bulbs in before they wreck the reflectors.

oy0l2bnn.b2p.jpeg

Moved the working old sealed beam to the inner, high beam position.

j0dfzgxu.yqw.jpeg

Edit: I just realised that last pic is of the old lamps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I took this to Hawkes Boes. Bloody dash lights died again. They flick on for a bit if you wiggle the switch. I guess I should have got the $25 headlight switch from RockAuto instead of the $10.

Headlights were amazing on the night time drive up. Especially the high beams. So that's nice.

Pics taken by some special people.

figsnvo1.hmg.jpg

swaqbwze.x0v.jpg

2oomdsso.tzx.jpg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...