Yowzers Turbo Deezz Wagon of Smoke

Yowzer

Since there's been a bit of interest in this car, and I am doing a lot more to it than I had initially planned, I figured it could have its own thread.

DSC01908.JPG

What you are looking at is a 1990 LS136 Crown wagon. Base spec as. It's basically a 120 series with an updated interior.

Originally fitted with the mighty 2L 2.4Ltr diesel engine, it made a staggering 86HP. When I bought it, it had been refitted with the 2.8Ltr 3L. 94HP. Holey fuck was it SLOW!!!

So I put a turbo on it.

As taken from my MS65 thread

Bought it in auckland, drove it to Napier, slept in it, bought a turbo for it, ran a bearing in it, mashed it in a garage and left it for a decent amount of time. But as Wagnats is fast approaching I decided that it is probably a good idea to try and get the bastard back on the road again.

20122010096.JPG

The current 3L, with a shattared bearing.

20122010095.JPG

New engine block, awaiting a head

20122010097.JPG

Turbo. Yah

20122010098.JPG

Ain't EFI, would much per the D-TURBO pipe that the non efi models had.

Engine is almost ready to be pulled out, and onwards to the fun job of dismantling and slapping parts on the new block.

Should be fun

More news on the grey whale.

Hopefully I'll have the engine back in the hole and running by the weekend. Not too sure what I'm gonna do about the exhaust yet though

15012011114.JPG

There's some shitty 3L diesel blocks, ya know, just chillin..

More importantly however is this

17012011115.JPG

Which is an almost assembled engine. Awaiting a few final parts and that bastard can start vomiting thick black smoke all over everyone!

Yeah.

Here is a fully assembled 3L-T, awaiting installation.

24012011116.JPG

And mostly installed.

24012011118.JPG

Right, the plan was to have this thing running for Wagnats. Which it sort of was..

However the fuel pump decided to be a major faggot, and did a very poor job of putting fuel in the engine. The result was a 1200rpm readline with a lot of coughing and spluttering.

After ignoring the car for a few weeks, I figured it was about time I actually swapped the pump with my known good one.

So I did.

14022011120.JPG

Yup, car finally runs, and it runs fucking fine!

I haven't yet played with the boost or fuel, but it still has a noticeable increase in power. Once I install the pyro and boost gauges, I should be able to tweak it to a bloody good state.

14022011119.JPG

'Till next time.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up lopping a bit much off the front springs, and 2" blocks didn't drop the rear enough to level the car out. I then removed a leaf from each side to see what happens.

Doing shit in my tiny garage is pretty difficult though

DSC02092.jpg

Lolleaves

DSC02093.jpg

Before

DSC02094.jpg

After

DSC02096.jpg

Haven't got an overall pic of the car at the moment, as everything I've done on it has been at night.

Another problem, the factory radiator is not really up to the task of keeping a turbo engine with way too tweaked up fuel cool.. Especially when towing.

Fortunately I obtained a nice fat alloy radiator.

DSC02111.jpg

Look at that motherfucker. It's a bit grubby from suffering an engine fire, but undamaged.

Factory on left, alloy on right

DSC02110.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

Just sitting there at the moment, need to tig on some new mounts.

Also got a trans cooler

DSC02113.jpg

Pulled out the AC condenser

DSC02112.jpg

And whipped out the turbo coz it's fucked

DSC02117.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

Variable Vane turbo from a 1KD Hilux

DSC02118.jpg

Pretty keen to slap that on, but don't have the time/skills to build a manifold for it. Probably just gonna rebuild the CT20 in the mean time.

Not pictured is the Subaru water intercooler I'm gonna attach.

Oh yeah, unusual glowplug failure I had a while back

15062012280.jpg

15062012281.jpg

Figure that one out.

Keen to see how you figure w2a intercooler setup.

I may be owning something 2.4t soon and was keen to do the same thing

The piping is gonna be pretty shit with the CT20 but I'm sure I can make it work.

Hey Si, you had a spare CT20? Any idea what state it's in? The compressor blades on mine look to be a bit damaged.

Keen to see how you figure w2a intercooler setup.

I may be owning something 2.4t soon and was keen to do the same thing

The piping is gonna be pretty hit with the CT20 but I'm sure I can make it work.

Hey Si, you had a spare CT20? Any idea what state it's in? The compressor blades on mine look to be a bit damaged.

It made funny noises on van, but I suspect that was because 95% of the bolts/nuts were loose and it was discharging boosts out all crevices.

I'll have a look when I get home and report back, I could prob just reply in 20 minutes but I want to reply now SO SHAME.

Rotate the intake so its facing towards the strut tower and fit intercooler on the passengers side of engine?

Yeah gonna try that, probably will have to get creative with the wastegate actuator mounting but I should be able to come up with something

flag 1kd turbo and install twin turbos plllleeeeaassseee/just coz.

think we needa see this on a dyno....

I freeboosted it up to 25PSI on the CT20 without anything popping, the 1KD turbo does 20 from factory quite happily, dunno where a CT20 loses efficiency but in reality it probably ain't that great above 10.

• 1 month later...

Been chipping away at this over the past few days. New turbo is on, exhaust has been chopped off, and new radiator mounts haggedly chopped from some alloy box section and JB welded to the radiator.

Got some Criz alloys too. They need a hell of a polish and some new tires though.

DSC02176.jpg

Still need new rear shocks, modify the bump stops, flush the trans and mount the intercooler.

• 5 months later...
Guest japawagons

Hijack.

I've been doing a ton of work on this for Yowzee so he can finally get one of his whips back on the road. (Read : Useless).

But in reality I enjoy spending other poeples money and working on cars way too much. It's actually becoming an issue.

Anyway photo's. Not really too much to see. But race is on for Nats.

dscf7919q.jpg

dscf7913d.jpg

dscf7915.jpg

dscf7917l.jpg

dscf7918.jpg

And this photo was on image Shack and I cracked up so insta-share.

citroen006dl9.jpg

So that's the intercooler water circuit mounted and done. Just need to wire the relay circuit in. New tryes which have dropped a few more MM's which is always good.

Just waiting on a few bits and pieces so I can do the air ducting and 3" Exhaust set up.

• Like 3