fiberglass body repairs VS welding

theshrew

as the title says, ive started pulling my car apart more and more... and oh god is it in a sorry state :( so much rust, ive cut out most of it, and the worst was in the rear, behind the bumper (on a 1980 cressida). so as its so close to the gas tank im a bit worried to weld near it, as id rather not die in a ball of flames, so im wondering if i could use fiberglass to replace the rusty panels? ive made up a few bumpers back in the day, but that was for a silvia, so its a bit different, im just wondering what the pros and cons are and if any ones done it before and can give some advice? or even advice about welding so close to the gas tank? much thanks!!!

^^^sorry about that! cheers for the advice, seems like a simple answer i guess! but im still interested to know if there are any pros to using fiberglass instead of welding, ive heard some people say its better, but i just want other peoples thoughts?

^^^sorry about that! cheers for the advice, seems like a simple answer i guess! but im still interested to know if there are any pros to using fiberglass instead of welding, ive heard some people say its better, but i just want other peoples thoughts?

Some people also think just putting bog over rust is a better :lol: Cutting out the rust and replacing it with new metal is the best solution. In my opinion, but i'm sure many others share that view.

empty the gas tank, take the cap off and stuff a wet rag into the hole, cover any lines etc with wet rags and you'll be sweet

edit: Beaten

your better off with a completely full tank, vapours are more flammable than the gas itself

Whip the tank out. It's too dangerous, and because someone got away with it doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who didn't. If it does go, it's you, your car and your garage gone. Plus, if your car's rusty the tank may be too so it's a great time to treat and repaint it.