Beachlanders Toyota Ke70 Corolla Wagon

Picked this up the other week with help from Todd (driftnmaz).
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg
Its got a 3a which is running quite rough at the moment, with a 4 speed t50 (3rds fucked). The high tech rubbish bag is because we cant get the window into its tracks (hopefully fix it this weekend) The clutch is fucked and its got a lockie in it. Has a bit of rust, which has just been bogged up for now. Plans are to get it wofed and regoed ASAP, then attempt to drift with the 3a, slam, wheels and after ive gotten used to it im going to be dropping a 4age in. When i do the 4age im going to do all the rust properly.
It came with a SHIT load of spares, which i still havent gotten through.
Discuss here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35283

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Boring picture less update.

Due to other commitments and shit weather (the joys of not having a garage) progress on this has been slow/havent touched it in a month or so. Had a bit of trouble with the wiring to start off with, and lost a bit of motivation.

Picked up a radiator for it on friday, and was going to sort out mounting it today but my friend called a good mate of his and he came round, ripped the loom out and got stuck in. A shit load tidier now, but not quite finished.

Its now turning over, but has no spark. We think it may have something to do with the alarm that has been wired in in the old car, as it was spliced into the whole loom. But some progress is good progress..i think.

Discussion for those that like to discuss. //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=33618

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, today was Hori Dori.

After a fuck around with getting a trailer ended up being quite late but that was sweet.

Found out i cant drive for shit, but will hopefully improve with more practice.

And the car handles like shit. Sooooo much axel tramp, but that was expected as i havent done anything to the rear suspension.

Couldn't hold a drift for more than a few seconds as the car just straightened out. Needs a shit load of work before the next drift day but i am picking up some reset leaves next week off this car

1427b_zps2730f4f7.jpeg

Although car didn't handle well and my driving is sub average, still had a blast and can't wait to get out there again.

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=33618

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a diff from a people mover/Estima from Pick a Part the other week.

Excuse the photos taken from Mr Potato Camera

photo_zps669412c2.jpg

Finally got a moment at work to get grinder happy

photo1_zpsa4e623a9.jpg

Todd will be welding the mounts on to suit my car, and i will probably have to get it shortened, as its 150mm wider than standard. And redrill the axels.

On a sad note, after a quick measure, i dont think my MK3s will fit over the brakes :( but will wait and see when they get here.

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=33618

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some doors and a new boot lid for this, as the windows cant go up in my old ones, and there is a massive dent in my old boot lid. Only cost me a box of beers, but there is a shit load of rust in the passenger door, and a fair amount in the boot and drivers door. However, i now have doors which i can wind the windows up in, so its not all bad. May take the guts out of the passenger door and put it in my old one, cause its not really worth repairing.

Oh and they are red.

Excuse the shit photos.

photo_zpsab6f8b85.jpg

photo1_zps1c2db75e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After a shit start to the day with trailer problems and a few other things, got down to Meremere for a drift day. Spent a few hours and with a lot of help from a few people, got it running right at around 2 30. The new leaf springs have helped heaps but there is still a little bit of axel tramp at times, although i can now throw it round and it will drift/ swing os, a lot easier. Need to get more confident with my driving and do a few more things to the car, but i am a happy man.

Also i hit the wall, but its only cosmetic so not bothered/will leave as is.

photo4_zpsbd7e029b.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest beachlander

Picked up my wheels yesterday

photo8_zpsd3fca995.jpg

photo9_zps51f2bc03.jpg

But couldn't bolt them on because my studs aren't long enough as you can see

photo10_zps1535ace2.jpg

Would i need longer studs or different types of wheel nuts? As there is a bit of room around the stud, just doesnt stick out far enough for my current nuts, which are quite thick

Discussion here for any ideas to the above problem: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=33618

• 1 month later...

Took the wagon to the Keto Drift day yesterday

spacer.gifIMG_5890_zps5ccd0e23.jpg

Was working late the night before putting the knuckles and LCAs out of Todds Te71 into this, and had to do an alignment when i got to Mere Mere, but that was all good.

Borrowed a pair of A3As from a mate and spent the rest of the day trying out the new knuckles and trying to get my confidence up a bit, still need to work on that haha.

There was a little bit of carnage though, with the castle nut that holds the knuckle onto the LCA somehow snapping the split pin and unwinding itself, causing an embarrassing drive back to the pits. Then after that was fixed, the next run i snapped an axel which ended my day. And while loading it onto the trailer, spotted some coolant at the bottom of the radiator, which i traced back to a hole in the radiator, unsure how it got there but will have to get a new one now.

All in all a good day, with a fair few improvements to the car planned now.

Discussion thread here ://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=33618

• 4 weeks later...

Had a think about what i wanted to do with the wagon after the anzac day keto day.
Was always going to be upgrading the diff and gearbox, and now that i have pretty much everything i need, i will be getting underway with that, just need to pick my diff up.
Wasn't going to do this for a while, but have had another 4age since before i got the car. Was going to wait for quite a while before i put it in, but changed my mind and will be putting it in in the next couple of weeks. The head is the one KPR built. 
These are the specs on it.
4age Bigport bottom end factory, fully rebuilt
4age Smallport Head 
Underbucket shim conversion 
Kelford 314 degree 10mm lift intake cam 
Kelford 308 degree 9.35mm lift exhaust cam
Kelford KVS101-16 Racing Valve Springs
Driven performance Adjustable cam gears
Also got the ecu and loom off NicT. Its a megasquirt and has a running tune so i can get it going then take it to a dyno, or might even give tuning a bit of a go.
So yea, ripped the old 4age and gearbox out and sold it,now im going to get stuck into giving the engine bay a good clean up, might aso get todd to move the steering rack forward. Will see.
Oh and will be putting my twin headlight setup on and widening the riversides. 
Going to be broke for a while i can tell icon_thumbup.gif

So today at work i had nothing to do so decided to have a good look at the manifold for the ITBs for the first time.

Was pretty stocked because i got the manifold and throttle bodies for $100. 

photo17_zps7d853caa.jpg

This is it here, not a very good photo of the manifold itself but meh.

Some of the welds are pretty ugly, and there was a layer of silicon over the top of it, peeled it off and found a crack smack bang in the middle of the weld. Which is annoying because i cant weld alloy, nor have a welder at work that can do it anyway.

Also the side which bolts to the head wasn't machined very well. It looks like they used a 10mm end mill and tried going over the whole thing, as you can see.

photo19_zps33bc8531.jpg

And it was also not square, so chucked it on the mill and went at it.

photo18_zpsde9f49ae.jpg

Ran out of time to finish it today but i had taken about 0.25mm off and it still wasn't square. 

Still unsure if ill use this manifold but will finish the machining tomorrow and make a call.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the front end off today to start fitting my quad headlight set up.

photo21_zps28c82699.jpg

Will be taking everything out of the engine bay to paint it and fix some rust spots ive found.

Also decided to make a new stainless intake manifold for a bit of shits and giggles, anyone have the dimensions for the intake side of the head on a small port 4age?

Discussion here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33618-beachlanders-2dr-corolla-wagon/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Jesus, dragged this fucker from the depths. 

So finally got the corolla out to our new place at Orere Point
spacer.gifphoto3_zpsf2f920c5.jpg
Towed it with the Crown. Slow, but went like a champ.
After a big night on saturday, got out there and ripped out the front struts and engine crossmember.
Crossmember is going to Todd to move the steering rack forward, and i need to machine the spring perches off so i can chuck some coilover sleeves on.
No pics, couldnt be fucked.