ta63-1uzze

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

nope.

base current is the low pulse setting, it works on ac or dc.

pulse width and frequency are also ac or dc, that diagram never goes negative.

clean width is the % time spent in the negative (electrode positive irl) when you're on ac.

Thats impossible or you will not have an ac wave. You are correct in saying base current is the low pulse setting but when switched to ac it will go negative and yes the clean width is the time spent negative. When in dc mode it will not go negative neither will it hit 0 amps but the wave will float above the y axis  but be square wave dc when pulse welding.

the base current is how far the square wave shoots back the other way. also known as the cleaning part of the wave. basically how much current is needed in the -ve section of the wave to clean the surface. pulse frequency is how quickly the wave alternates between +ve and -ve the pulse duty is how long the wave will sit in the +ve or -ve region basically squeeses or stretches the peak current in or out. clean area with is basically a frequency setting where the lower you set it the wider the arc will spread and clean more of the area around the weld crank it up and the arc will narrow but have less cleaning effect in the -ve region.

Cheers

this is the bit you have mixed up.

say you set the peak current to 100a and the base current to 40%.

on dc it pulses between 100a and 40a.

on ac it pulses between 100a ac and 40a ac, not 100A+ and 40a-.

the diagram doesn't show -ve voltage anywhere, just the high and low current.

this is the bit you have mixed up.

say you set the peak current to 100a and the base current to 40%.

on dc it pulses between 100a and 40a.

on ac it pulses between 100a ac and 40a ac, not 100A+ and 40a-.

the diagram doesn't show -ve voltage anywhere, just the high and low current.

just a novice but I thought it changed the negative or positive bias of the ac. so it would crank more amps on one than the other as he said.

How else does it affect cleaning?

Not taking a dig just genuinely confused

Also try the rule of 33 for pulse tig; 33% base current, 33 pps, 33% duty cycle. It works real good on mine.

will try this out when i get home tomorrow. sounds like a good plan. i don't think i had it right last time i tried using

so far i don't feel like i have got the beed of coins effect the rest of the welds on the radiator has, almost like mine are shallow and much to close together. when i look through the insider of the pipe the penetration is very deep, almost like it should be the other way round like the weld is upside down .

i think my foot control overrides any setting on the machine, cause if i set the power low i can still apply huge amount with the foot controller. 

and i am having trouble with finishing the weld , like its almost like a crater at the end, i have tried to slow down with the pedal and i have tried to add heaps of filler at the end but that isnt halping at all . 

if i set the down slope will this help even when using the foot controller ?

i havnt had time this week to play around with the welder allot, but hopefully tomorrow i will get some hours in

sounds like you're using too much power. you want just enough amps to get a weldpool.

also keep the tungsten as close to the work as possible. just high enough that when you add filler rod it doesn't end up on the tungsten.

for pedal shouldn't make the machine go higher than the peak amps setting on the machine so something's wrong there

well I am not winning guys and it is starting to bug me , I am not sure if its me or maybe the possibility of me having a faulty machine. I don't want to blame my tools but its starting to look like its faulty.

I wish I could video what its doing so I could ask you guys for help . but I don't have the equipment to do so

it wont establish an arc on pulse . I have tried allot of setting , I have scoured the internet for help and tried to problem solve this fault .

I have tried the 33 33 33 idea with no luck at all.

I have increased and decreased gas flow, changed tungsten's from 1.6 to 2.4 , I have tried to increases the base amperage and even wound the peek amp up to where it should just about blow a holes in seconds.

if I turn the pulse off , I have found I can make a weld and easily establish an arc, but under no circumstances on pulse can I even get it to puddle .

im not sure , and now I am doubting the quality of this machine now . sigh.  :( :( :( :(

this hasn't been much fun , the mig I bought was amazing and such a great experience learning how to use it , I am struggling with this machine 

yay got some success tonight,. I went over all the basic shit again, and I thought what have I changed since trying this pulse setting annnnnnnnnnnd , dud tungsten . got a fresh tungsten and wham problem has gone, go figure ay :) . finally, it only took the whole day to figure this shit out. so tomorrow I will be getting in some hours.

this shit is exhausting but I am so freeking happy that its not the machine !

On the foot pedal note

Some good machines you can set the max current and foot pedal gives you from zero to that.

On my machine the pedal gives you zero to machines max regardless of dial setting.

It's just the way it was made.

yeah i mucked around with mine today and it has full power at the pedal , the knob is redundant when the pedal is plugged in .

i have had a look at a friends machine this morning when i was trying to diagnose my issues, and its got a dial on the pedal its self (from factory), i may look at fitting one to my pedal later on if i find it annoying having full power but at this stage its not been a huge issue 

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna drag this up....

The IRD were good to me so I went and splashed out on a AC/DC/pulse unit like that posted above, even got an owner bottle and a new helmet. Had 20min playing in the shed and man I am hooked, having so much control of the weld pool over what I am used to with MIG is incredible. Had a play on some panel steel and like how you can have such a small, concentrated pool with the pulse setting. I can safely say I'll only be using the MIG for quick and dirty jobs in the future and look forward to improving the skills

tig is great for control and mig is also great each are great which is why I have both, each has there plus's but all I really have to say is "weldingtipsandtricks.com "

has helped so much , I've watched some videos so many times,