South Island West Coast Road Trip - Wanaka New Years

Had no idea where to post this, so just put it here.

The misses and I are going on a road trip over the new years break,

Plan is really lose with no dead lines apart from getting back to Picton for the ferry on the 5th Jan 2013

So heres what ive got, Note that nothing is booked (apart from ferry tickets), and every thing will be on the cheap as were not made of coin

Thursday 27th Dec board the Ferry at 7AM

Drive to Nelson along the "coastal" route, staying in Nelson for the first night

Friday 28th Dec Drive to Westport, via the Buller Gorge, Stay there for the night

Saturday 29th dec Drive to Frans Josef Glacier, sweet hot pools and sites, stay there

Sunday 31st Dec Drive to Wanaka, set up camp, Party, vomit

Monday 1st First hang over of the new year

2nd Maybe stay another day

3rd "Fill in the Blank" no real plans just head back up the island

4th

5th be back in Picton for ferry!

Thats the "plan" anyway, havent booked any places to stay, i know its busy season so should maybe book small towns like Frans Josef etc

But yeah anyway i just thought id mention the trip, as i know there has been mention of peeps wanting to do a South Island New Years roadie and more the merrier, ever if its just meet you up in Wanaka for new years, do your own roadie down.

Tickets on blue bridge were $440 for car plus 2 return. talk to KK he may be able to do you a inter islander deal

if no ones in, it was gona be that way anyhow, if some GCs are keen then that would be the shit!!!

Cheers for reading

26-31 December is when the Greymouth Rodders have their run and show, so you'll probably come across a bunch of them on the road

aw yeah rad, ive run into this in the past, but forgot when it was, sweet cheers

you should also add that when you say feb the 5th you mean jan the 5th

I am considering this

as discussed would be awesome for the dub

aw yup yup, changed that, yeah man would be sweet! bit of coin for the ferry but i recon itll be the tits!

if you can do it right you can stay at all the doc camping sites..$5 a night is epic,have a maori shower at the franz hot pools, the river as you get to wanaka(arthurstown i think it is)...the river there is mint and right next to the doc camping site...

• 1 month later...

I am doing the same sort of road trip next month for MoPars in Gore.

Here is my plans.

16th October Tuesday: Auckland to Hawkes Bay.

17th October Wednesday: Hawkes Bay to Blenheim

18th October Thursday: Blenheim to CHCH

19th October Friday: CHCH to Gore

20th October Saturday: Mopars in Gore day 1

21st October Sunday: Mopars in Gore day 2

22nd October Monday: Gore to franz josef

23rd October Tuesday: franz josef to Nelson

24th October Wednesday: Nelson to Picton

25th October Thursday: Picton to Taupo

26th October Friday: Taupo to Auckland

Mig.jpg

may i suggest if u have a extra half hour or so head up from greymouth to Westport then back through buller gorge . its 1-1.30 hours grey to westport then 15 minutes to the junction towards murchison where its a hour to Reefton from grey and about 30 mins to the junction.

coast road to Westport from Grey is a great drive. i do it everyday in a courier van

We are doing the Gore to Invercargil run on Saturday as part of the MoPars in Gore activities. I won't be leaving for the west coast till monday so I sort of need to return to Gore :)

I did the same trip but in reverse in 2010 after the MoPars in Nelson show. We has like 11 of us doing the round trip and 7 of them were Valiant Chargers.

On the 2010 trip we did the westport to grey road. Awesome bit of road. We also went out to Collingwood via the Takaka Hill, that was probably my favourite bit of the south island. back in 2010 we had a few more days to do it so we could take a lot more scenic routes. We came down the west coast and we went out via the scenic route through Te Anau, Manapouri and Riverton.

This year I will probably add in the greymouth to westport road because I am only travelling up the coast with one other car and they live in West port. We will leave Gore on the Monday morning this stay at franz josef. then on tuesday I will follow the others to Westport before staying in Nelson for the night.

Here is a shot of us at Bluff and Manapouri. Mine is the yellow Charger.

P1020285.jpg

P1020220.jpg

If you haven't travelled over Arthurs Pass from Chch to Hokitika then I implore you to do so. (I would say going Hok - Chc would be a little more taxing but still pretty sweet) It's stunning!! Also stop at Death Corner and check out the view.. Have a big stick on board to chase off the Keas..

If you haven't travelled over Arthurs Pass from Chch to Hokitika then I implore you to do so. (I would say going Hok - Chc would be a little more taxing but still pretty sweet) It's stunning!! Also stop at Death Corner and check out the view.. Have a big stick on board to chase off the Keas..

yes

yes

I'm still shuddering thinking about the sound of those devil birds scratching on the roof of the car. If you hate birds, I would not recommend Death Corner.