Slam Crank Pulley back to the engine.

LingLing

This probably again sounds dumb.

It seems to be very straight forward job.

But I can't put the Crank pulley back on, without smashing it.

Are you suppose to heat treat it or something?

how else do you put the crank pulley back on the engine?

Suck balls.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you get if off? should slide on or at worst go on with a few taps with a rubber mallet. Any big blows should be avoided as the crank pulley has a harmonic balancer that can be damaged and the thrust bearings wont like being belted to much

Are the mating surfaces clean?

Is the keyway sitting in its slot correctly? ie the top of the keyway should be parallel with the nose of the crankshaft.

If the answer to both of those is yes then you should be able to wiggle it gently onto the front of the snout and then whack it gently on with your hand.

Use a leather hammer if you have to - but very gentle taps at most.

Once it is half on you should be able to insert the crankshaft pully bolt and wind it on till it goes home and then torque up the crankshaft bolt to spec..

edit - what Spence said

Well, Last night pulled out garage to make the burger meet, noticed the battery charger light is on. Then found alternator belt off, when I was trying to fit the belt, I couldn't find the crankpulley to put the belt on. Luckily I found the pulley resting on the underbody panel.

Bought the bolt today should fit. also new belt as last one missing One Track out of 5.

Right, I will clean both surfaces,make sure I got the slots right and hammer it carefully.

Will report back.

yeah usually due to crankshaft bolt working its way loose, but by the time the crank pulley has flown off there would be sure damage to the crank key-way, which is probably why the pulley is hesitant to go back on again.

my old ae92 fxgt did this....

make sure you have the spacer washer thing that goes on before the pulley. otherwies the pulleys wont be aligned and you will chew through a shit load of belts...

mine dropped the pulley in the middle of nowhere at 3am...lost the pulley,bolt etc..

only realised the belt eating issue was the sapcer was we went to a toyota wrecker and asked them why it would have happened..

it is expected of a high revving engine, i used to thrash the panties off mine,7200rpm everywhere....

Ok, it's In, Not exactly in position, But can't take them off by hand now.

2rqnj9j.jpg

used small hammer with rags wrapped around.

shouldn't be much force applied at all.

Now, Should I keep slamming it then put the bolt on or?

I am worried now, How would I take it off in the future to change the timing belt or something??

it sounds to me the reason it fell off is because you opened the bonnet. this exercise seems to be a bit beyond you. you should probably get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to do up the crank pulley properly, then you will know for next time

Forgot to take the spanner/ratchet off while I started the engine.
That would be the reason for sure..

Once it is all the way on then put a couple of dots of locktite on the thread and do the bolt up to the correct spec or if you don't have a torque wrench then that do it up FUCKING tight..

You will need to stop the engine from turning while you do it up - most probably pay to have someone to put it into 5th gear and then they can put the brakes on hard while you do it up.

PS Brad those chunks missing are fine as long as there are no sharp edges hanging over the belt running area - which is normally not the case..