CatatonicChimp's 1977 Trabant 601

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here I was thinking of shaving it off again :P

Its definitely a different sound (more tinny) to a more standard 4stroke/v8 etc but its a lot louder in real life...

Getting it running was a lot easier than expected... spent 20-30mins degreasing and cleaning the carb, despite me emptying it yesterday, it still had a lot of residual oil from storage... put it back together, chuck the old spark plugs in, thinking they weren't going to do anything... and omg it started...

Sehr gut!

really looking forward to seeing this rolling around the eastern suburbs.

it would be great to know more about how you organised purchase/export/shipping, and costs...

I think someone now needs to bring in a Barkas B1000 to match it. would an east german 2 stroke van qualify for the vagoneers?

You might not have seen http://www.trabicustomiser.com ... hours of fun.

here's one I made earlier :)

8060534005_8fcc7cbdb5_o.png

trabi hosted on http://www.flickr.com

Yeah I've had a play with the trabicustomizer...

J1iVU.png

But my plan is to keep it stock as much as possible... a few little mod cons hidden away... ie stereo and rear demister... the rest original...

Costs... yeah it will be a while before I openly talk about the cost... I think this comment about MG's does it best at the moment... "if you aren't spending more than it's "book value" is, then you aren't doing it right."

Shipping was a little difficult and costly.. it took a lot of time for them to come back with final quotes, especially since I had a time limit to pick it up by... and the quote didn't exactly = the final amount I paid.

I will say this though.. If I was to do it again, I would spend more money on a car that runs/registered, that I could have been driven to the shippers, ie Rotterdam or southampton in the UK, then one that doesn't. The cost of Rollon Rolloff shipping is much cheaper... and there is so many stupid hidden costs to container shipping a car... and MAF were bastards... fumigation costs and cleaning costs were just stupid...

A Barkas B1000 would be awesome by the way.... If anyone wants one, contact the IFA UK mailing list (google it (its a yahoo mailing list)), someone might be able to scout one out for you.

On a serious note, what products to people recommend for cleaning a fuel tank... mine has some rust particles at the bottom that I want to clean out, now that I have it empty...

• 2 weeks later...

has it been said whats in the coffee tin?

I opened the coffee tin last night... its a bit disappointing to be honest... all that was there was some interior card clips and some springs... oh and two old sparkplugs... there was also a little document in german....

Finally got the engine out tonight... the engine was been held in place by the two starter motor screws and they didn't really want to move... the first allen key got stuck, its handle was too large to fit between the screw and the starter motor, the second key wasn't long enough so I couldn't get enough leverage on it.. ended up cutting an allen key in half, and sticking it in a 10mm socket + extension to clear the clutch leaver, at first I couldn't move it with the socket wrench, but the torque wrench at max made short work of it with a satisfyingly loud snap, at first I thought something had sheared, but it worked perfectly fine... after a few minutes shifting the engine around to clear the transmission, I picked it up and put it down on the bench... (only weights about 30-40kgs.)

PEkzUl.jpg

Q55KDl.jpg

Edited by CatatonicChimp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been given a contact to get my brake master cylinder rebuilt.. but its in Porirua, and I don't have a lot of time at the moment to drive out there to drop it off and pick it up. Can anyone recommend someone in the more central wellington area?

I have the rebuild kit, just no idea how to do, and I don't want to risk screwing it up as its a long wait to get a new part, and I don't want it to fail when driving. 

Auto Brake and Clutch in Martin Sq WEllington city (off taranaki st near the Z servo)

also, love your work on this thing man. All of my hats are off to you!

Will give them a call,

I am making steady progress with it atm... lots of little things to do like small screw/bold missing here and there.

Hopefully I can tackle a bunch of the big things this weekend... need to connect the engine manifold and exhaust, torque down the cylinder heads.. connect the new electronic ignition etc... finish the wiring (its a bloody mess). etc etc

Cheers

A.