CatatonicChimp's 1977 Trabant 601

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say it was packed by a imbecile, in all other cases I've been really impressed with their packing. There was a lot of support in there, the images look shitty because I removed all the extra packing before I got deep enough to ply the glass out. But yes improvements could have been made in their packing, a bit more thorough support at the ends around the corners to protect it if it was thrown and it landed on a corner... basically looking at the box, its landed on something and the corner made a tear through the outer layer of the box and became exposed.

Anyway still waiting to hear back with confirmation that they are shipping a new windscreen... I asked another vendor and it would cost 220euro just for just the shipping.. although that is with a full wooden frame built into the package.

I wouldn't say it was packed by a imbecile, in all other cases I've been really impressed with their packing. There was a lot of support in there, the images look shitty because I removed all the extra packing before I got deep enough to ply the glass out. But yes improvements could have been made in their packing, a bit more thorough support at the ends around the corners to protect it if it was thrown and it landed on a corner... basically looking at the box, its landed on something and the corner made a tear through the outer layer of the box and became exposed.

Anyway still waiting to hear back with confirmation that they are shipping a new windscreen... I asked another vendor and it would cost 220euro just for just the shipping.. although that is with a full wooden frame built into the package.

Call Franz at Autoglas Steiger and ask him how much to get one in for you. http://www.autoglas-stieger.co.nz/about-us/

He is a major supplier for a lot of the glass companies like Smith and Smith, also is an absolute GC and he worked all over Europe with windscreens so has all the contacts. 

At the very worst I'm sure if you can send a windscreen to one of his suppliers then they could crate it up with his order and get it here. But that would probably take 3-4 months.

If all that doesn't suit you then there is a company in Auckland that will make windscreens using your broken one as a template (so don't smash it up just yet)

I gave Autoglas Steiger a call this arvo, the guy I talked to was going to check with Franz, but haven't heard back yet, I'll follow up tomorrow if I don't hear anything...

Yeah no way I am going to throw it away yet... The guys at sharps autoglass wanted to check it out and see if they have anything that matches its curve and have one cut to size... but otherwise yeah will look at the guys in auckland for a custom job if need be... just depends on costs :)

Cheers

C.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Highs and lows today....

The VW is no longer pissing its coolant all over the ground. Although my wallet is a lot lighter as a result, the other upside is no more buses to get to work. 

But a few things need to be sorted with the Trabi already.. just after it arrived at the entry cert... Centre brake light isn't certified... Shit... 

$50 + for to replace it with something shitty because almost everything certified is meant to run on 12v, unless you go for the crappy looking one and replace the 12v bulb with a 6v bulb... yay.... feel the sarcasm. 

$300-500~ for translation of original registration... this sucks... just waiting to hear back if I can do a selective translation.... I can translate 90% of the stuff on there without a problem, but of course it has to be certified... :salute:  stupid LTNZ... 

Add to the fact that MAF screwed up... we can't find the car in Landata... although I think I may have a reason why... the put the wrong fricking VIN on the documentation.

They also said they would have to strip the interior, which I am kinda annoyed about, considering that it has a full repair cert... what do you expect to see behind the panels.. 

This is proving to be a little more difficult then I though... I thought I was on top of it all.. but now I feel like a complete noob....  of which I am... but now I feel ass about it...

Rant Over.. 

also as of Thursday the car is 37 years and 1 month old... I missed its birthday last month :( 

Still no luck with NZTA or IVS.... they can't find any record of the car... seriously there is only maybe 5 in the country at most, and I've given them all the forms about when it came in, shipping codes, container codes, MAF documentation etc... 

I do know the car was inspected by IVS because it had a pink IVS inspection sticker on it along with the NZTA sticker saying it has rust.. but apparently they never entered the details in the system... which seems contradictory to the inspection guidelines... 

Apparently that sticker should have been enough to tell me to go pay them for inspection services. yet there was no info on the sticker to that effect, or invoice with the paperwork when the car was delivered, and the fact that the freight forwarder had already charged me for the NZTA inspection already. 

So my two lines of enquiry are currently a) did Taurus (the freight forwarder actually pay the inspection bill)

or b. did IVS just screw up the filing of the paperwork. I am leaning towards b at the moment. 

EIther way I feel like one of them should be footing the bill for the screw up.. 

But the end result looks like I will have to cough up another $144 if I want the car registered this century...  :?

Nuts! I overheard someone mention a Trabant at work the other day at the office and wondered if it was about your car (I started work at IVS this week, different part of the company though - Timber testing). Hopefully you get it sorted :)

Yeah I really hope so...well it will get sorted its just a question over who ends up paying for it. 

I am sure IVS does a good job, but in cases like this where things slip through the gap, I am so far not impressed with the service. 

There was no invoice or details on that stickers that mention you have to ring up and pay for the inspection service. This is on top of the fact it should have already been paid for by the Shipping company. I am pretty sure the shipping company did the right thing, its just unfortunate that they don't have access to specific invoices between their depot and IVS for the inspection service costs as it apparently paid in a bulk sum. Otherwise I could hold it over IVS' head... 

ifpla.jpg

7AVAU.jpg

Thankfully the inspection issues have been sorted, IVS managed to come up with a solution that works for both of us, so they will be doing an inspection in the next week or so when I take the car to get the brakes fixed. I am just waiting on the new brake parts from Germany to replace the parts that got contaminated by the brake fluid when the slave cylinder failed. . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

WOW!!!!!!!!

so it turns out im not the only person mentally retarded  ambitious enough to attempt getting one of these automotive icons as far away from its ritefull home as possible :-D

My friend told me about this thread after he learned what im doing. 

Hopefully your little Blue Limousine will have a Papyrusweiß  Kombi brother joining the family 

Ive sent you a PM mate. Would be wicked to talk to you and pick your brain.