CatatonicChimp's 1977 Trabant 601

Currently sitting in a Shipping Container in Rotterdam, should be arriving in NZ some around the start of September

yFnYB.jpg

mhhas.jpg

Z3CJs.jpg

Build Post: //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?uid=15033&f=17&t=34902&start=0

Found her on mobile.de while in Germany, the owner spoke no English, so it was an interesting email conversation via google translator and then even more awkward conversation when I went to look at her. she has been in storage for the last 20 years, (since 1993) a few things need to be fixed before she can get back on the road, some light rust that will have to be dealt with before registration, the brakes are shot so will need to be redone, paint will probably need to be in order, as well as new seals, wheels etc, and I need to find some wing mirrors.

Engine and interior are in excellent condition, although the engine needs to be flushed before i can confirm that, as its been stored with oil in the cylinders. considering I saw a few other rust bucket trabant engines start on first go, I am not concerned about this one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are cheap ones, yes, but they are getting more expensive as they are becoming collectors items, and it's getting harder to find ones without lots of work required. I looked at a few trabants before getting this one, one of the others I looked at was advertised for the same price and looked ok in the photos. But as I was proding the door sill for rust my finger just went straight through, and that was just the start of that cars problems. Another on eBay was in good condition, no rust and current Tüv (German Wof) ended up going for over 2000€

I'll post more photos next weekend when I am back in NZ, I have more on my hdd, but my iPad refuses to read them.

The Auckland Trabant was at galaxy of cars last year. It's in tidy condition and got a surprisingly high amount of interest, though most of it was with a bit of a smirk, as you might imagine.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a couple of questions...

- Does anyone have experience shipping parts from europe, any recommendations? there is a set of new trabant rims on ebay that I would like to get, but I would need to organise my own shipping.

- I have a list of entry certifiers, does anyone have any experience, good/bad reviews... or any others that are not on my list?

• Vehicle Safety Systems: 120 Hutt Park Road, Lower Hutt
    Vehicle Testing Station Ltd: 17-21 Rutherford Street, Lower Hutt
    VINZ: 15-19 Parliament Street, Lower Hutt
    VTNZ Lower Hutt: 25 Brunswick Street, Lower Hutt
    Wellington Vehicle Compliance Ltd: 17-21 Rutherford Street, Lower Hutt

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Update:

The Car is currently somewhere in the Indian Ocean on the "MSC Veronique" between Mauritius and Sydney, expected arrival on the 31st of this month in Sydney, and then transfer to another boat arriving in Wellington on the 6th of September.

I now have a garage to put it in when it arrives, but I am starting to look for bits and pieces I'll need to start restoring it.

Most of the replacement parts I'll need have to come from Germany, and I'll have to wait till it arrives and finish the strip down before I do the actual order, as shipping costs are not very pretty.

Before I start the strip down I want to at least try to get the engine running, and for that I need a few things.

6Volt Car Battery, does anyone know of a place in welly (pref in the city) that sells them, or a good place online to buy? I tried my local mechanic/auto electrician but they don't have any.

Axel stands, any recommendations? or alternatives? The car only weights in a 780kgs so they don't have to be the heavy duty stands. Or should I just go to supercheap/repco?

Apparently this is a difficult item to get hold of, transmission oil: HLP-68 / ISO-VG-68

Anyone know where to source it from, I only need a few litres of it..

Cheers

Andrew