yetchh 121

cubastreet

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers.. yeah its pretty sweet, the only one I've ever seen with black interior. Not sure if its classed as a series one as def has some small differences from the latter years, gonna give it a clean today and maybe go pick up the engine/box and diff..

build thread..

https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33436-1976-mazda-121-mat-resurection/&

Nah, the original put a leg out of bed after 8k redlining. That motor is from some parts that we picked up(I'll keep it for a spare block just in case), the auto out of the silver 121 I just sold. This car originally came with and rx5 5 speed which is going back in along with a genuine rx5 diff, not sure if its lsd or not, never checked..

She looks awesome from 5 or so meters hahaha, from half a meter you can start to see "issues" but I dont think I'll worry about paint for a few years or till it really starts to look shit, which ever comes first..

Nice! 12 years in storage, now that's an effort for a 121!

Guess these things have increased in value recently. About 6 years ago I could not get $500 for a 121 and an original RX-5 (less motor and had auto box)

Your right about the interior, I have had a few 121s and an RX-5 over the years. Every one I have seen has either been maroon, shit green or dark blue.

Dumbest thing is their unique stud pattern.

Here is a picture of the brother to my old car on the Wellington dock when it first arrived (one number in license different):

rx5a.jpg

And how it ended up, prior to being crushed as above, could not sell :(

ja2112.jpg

But this = best RX-5 ever

6235900349_f4d5e432d1_o.jpg

• Like 1

Crushed? bugger, that may have happened to my silver one if I didn't sell it, stripped of course.. how long ago did you crush them?

The red rx5 looks pretty sick, I can't understand why people don't like them, the driving positions awesome, they handle better than pretty much all of the previous mazdas, they do look top heavy with standard rims on tho. As for the stud pattern, it does tend to make new alloys out of reach but steel wheels can have stud patterns changed pretty easy, I've even had my minilites slotted to fit and then slotted back to standard (dunno if that's possible anymore).. who knows..

Crushed just after they were advertised and no takers, so 6 ish years ago.

From what I can remember about 121s/RX-5s they have the same floor plan as RX-4 and body styling was specifically designed for American market.

Americans didn't like them at all and they were a major flop with frig all sales.

Didn't help they are about 100kg heavier than an RX-4 and the ol' rotary engine rep was already in ruins due to their heavy gas consumption/oil crisis.

Way to many of these things have been dumped/ crushed/ split for parts or left to rust. Getting so hard to find parts now. Im on the hunt for a mint pair of headlight surrunds. If anyone has some spare. Your 121 looks awsum. Good too see other peopke appreciate them.

Crushed just after they were advertised and no takers, so 6 ish years ago.

From what I can remember about 121s/RX-5s they have the same floor plan as RX-4 and body styling was specifically designed for American market.

Americans didn't like them at all and they were a major flop with frig all sales.

Didn't help they are about 100kg heavier than an RX-4 and the ol' rotary engine rep was already in ruins due to their heavy gas consumption/oil crisis.

yeah, apparently tho the japs loved them, prob is that americans had a taste for autos and Rx5+rotary+auto=slow... that make two cars I now own that flopped.. shame about your other two, I still think they're hard to sell now but in saying that I just got 600 for one with a dead reg so maybe things are on the up..

Way to many of these things have been dumped/ crushed/ split for parts or left to rust. Getting so hard to find parts now. Im on the hunt for a mint pair of headlight surrunds. If anyone has some spare. Your 121 looks awsum. Good too see other peopke appreciate them.

Cheers bro, as a matter of fact I have a pair of nos surrounds direct from japan, but they are def for keeps although I'm thinking about maybe taking a mould for them so I don't have to use them