1976 Mazda 121 Ma turbo (efi at least)

yetchh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So inspired by the list K-trips had made I did this..

IMAG1181_zpsf682869d.jpg

and realised just how much I have to finish, famous last words in the first post.. luckily most of it is small shit but there are still a few things to add to it that have forgotten...

like a drive shaft loop.. dang

*edit.. and an intercooler.. the tiny rx7 one I have isn't really up to the task

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

scored myself a fairly good 121 bumper today, dont have to deal with the 929 one any more.. as well as another good bonnet.. . sto ked.. 

IMAG1247_zpsd97db05f.jpg

IMAG1248_zps673c6d88.jpg

and If there is anyone here who is looking for 121/rx5 parts, the guy who recently sold the red 121 on on the tard has a shed full of parts for these..

• 1 month later...

Did a bit today, the gf has taken the family to Golden Bay for the week.. means I finally have some time.

did some wiring haha,

IMAG1490_zps7b413a15.jpg

installed p/s lines, although my pump is off an rx5 so the high pressure line is 50mm short..

IMAG1491_zps97947aa1.jpg

installed alt and associated pulley..

IMAG1492_zpsa719f909.jpg

painted and installed p/s pump

IMAG1496_zps1ae1e998.jpg

IMAG1498_zps48f53551.jpg

maybe I should chrome the main pulley..

IMAG1499_zpsc7d5b7f5.jpg

drive shaft painted and ready to install, although somewhere between taking it it off and now I've misplaced the rubber mounting bushes.. cant even remember what they look like

IMAG1495_zps7261d337.jpg

Fuck all crossed of the list really, but hey, better than nothing..

looking more motorish,

IMAG1500_zps87344905.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, first pictureless update.. story of my life, things have slowed up a bit as shits been busy, EQC repairs etc plus other shit that for some reason I take on then regret.*sigh.. on a brighter note, scored some 121/rx5 standard alloys just in case for some reason. And I hate running short of cash half way through a build, kind of demoralising, def don't want to sell one the stable to keep up with progress.. dunno if its like it for all of you other car hoarders/addicts but once every month or so I get a small hounding from particular parts of the family about selling cars to finish cars and buy a house etc etc whatever fucking boring.. so much for family support hahaha.. Anyway, once all the craziness has subsided somewhat I'm gonna try to get back on track, especially with wiring the link up, could need a hand for that one.. realistically about 60% throught the build, lots of small things to get me there.. chur

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Took a backwards step today..

IMAG0225_zpseirshurz.jpg

IMAG0227_zpsanf40clc.jpg

Well.. it wasn't all backwards, just decided to can the turbo for now and just get it legit.. doing my head in just sitting it the garage when I just want to be able to drive it. This is the donor engine I bought for the flywheel in 2012 for $60. Looks to have had a rebuild and the oil is nice and clean, fingers crossed it runs well. The only other major I have to do is paint the good panels I have for it, I'm debating whether or not just to throw them on as is, but as the rest of the car looks pretty clean maybe I'll just rattle can them satin black.. 

Well it runs.. Took me a bit to figure out which wires to short for the neutral switch, and also where the dizzy wire was, puff of blue and of it went. Also a battery that sat in storage since 01 initially held no charge but today for some reason was good. Now the fuel pump doesn't work, gah..

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel pump fixed, was an old kill switch that bit the bullet, reconnected it at the loom, then fuel line from the tank was blocked, then needle and seat jammed, now runs think the carbs a bit fagged tho, sometimes just stops then struggles to start, might try the other one tho I think a good tune up is in order. Leaks oil from what I would say is a stuffed cork rocker cover gasket so have to find one of those. Initially blew smoke from idle, tho took it for a few runs round the block and it seems to have cleared somewhat. Clutch looses pressure after a few gear changes, will look into a new master cyl seal. clutch throw out makes a small racket, knew I should've changed it.. meh.. Has a clunk from the left rear for some reason, must be the shock, can't think what else..  thank god for rough east side roads, brings my attention to a badly needed wheel alignment (and the clunk).. stupidly bought a secondhand alt without checking my parts, found two in there one in almost new condition (douche).. aaaand.. thats about it for now, put the new(old) front on, looks quite badass with mismatched panels.. will snap a couple of pics tomorrow..

• Like 2

Couple of pics with the better front on..

IMAG0276_zpsypq5atoe.jpg

IMAG0278_zpsqochy5ly.jpg

IMAG0277_zpslhb2eogl.jpg

shit fits a whole lot better now, although I'll have to space the nose cone out a bit as for some reason it sits back about 4mm therefore the guards poke out on either side and the bonnet is very close to the wiper cowling.. 

• Like 3

Got good bumper on, the filler panels a bit dented from some previous prang but as it's the only one I have someone who is good at dolly work might have to put their hand up.. renewed blown bulbs and a new set of h4 globes.. put a seal kit through the clutch maste/slave, hone etc. Still seems to be at the end of its travel?? Shouldn't lose pressure anyway.. New set of points/plugs and timing... Bump stops cut/shaped and custom dirted, just need to fit em.. Bit more to finish, hopefully tomorrow

installed b/stop.. looks fairly old

IMAG0295_zpsqjaykdo0.jpg

found the reason the drivers seat wobbled, luckily I had a couple of good spares to repair.. just the passengers to do.

IMAG0297_zpsebc649r3.jpg

IMAG0298_zps7wk4u7l6.jpg

how they should look,

IMAG0299_zps18bpqbx3.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. thats a fail. Not too, bad rear trailing arm bush, idler arm bush, headlight alignment, front tyres on wrong rotation, was going to make me get a repair cert for underseal front and rear but I told him its been there for at least 13 years as it was only applied to hide the white after the car was painted so he said he'd wave that one.

The one biggie is I have to prove(in writing) that the engine was available in that model which it was, but not until the next year, I think as long as I can show the effort made to prove this he will let me pass as he was saying that he would google it but reckons he's been banned for too much time on the tard, could I possibly get a letter from mazda stating this or would they not be bothered? or just find the releveant (wiki?) info on the web..

• Like 1

Well, been a bit of a fuck around but I think I have everything ready for a recheck. Went to Mazda this morning and picked up my confirmation letter, the guy was awesome.. said if they give me any shit they can talk to him in person, top bloke.. Went to ltsa to get confirmation of the engine and they guy reckoned the should pass me based on the letter from Mazda, and the head inspector was being a douche as carjam get all their info from ltsa anyway..

Got all my bushes sorted, rears are from a 626 but they don't make the front trailing arm bushes any more so I had to buy some over size ones and machine them to size.. Which resulted in spider webs.. now sitting in a massive line waiting for a recheck.. doesn't do much for nerves..

• Like 9