Campylobactors S2A Land Rover

• 10 months later...

I grabbed this thing yesterday. Slammed spare carb on it, which leaves the linkages not working so well (don't match up and 90degree adaptor doesn't have the same stud pattern as new carb)

Made up some mounts which utilise a Kubota throttle cable, and hook to the landrover linkage on the firewall on the carb side.

Sorted the wiring out a bit as water had got to it a little and she fired up like a champ. 

Don't have choke hooked up but meh. warms up pretty quick.

Need to waterblast engine so I can see timing marks and shit properly, and pull dizzy to bits and check points etc. carb seems to work nicely, but she's backfiring back through the carb at low revs. once on song it's lush though. Have burnt up all the old fuel and put 10 litres of fresh shit in and still seems to have the issue.

Once that's sorted, and I give the brakes and clutch hydraulics a bit of a tickle, a maori wheel alignment and maybe look at swapping in a better set of front leaves if I can be arsed it'll be all over the place.dic

SO lol to drive. couldn't get it stuck at the old man's place today (granted he lives on a completely flat bit of lands but there's a couple of drains and dirtpiles to play on)

discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/38706-campylobacters-campylandrover/

• Like 5

So this evening I donned my best Guinness t-shirt, pompom hat, gumboots and stroked my beard lovingly, then dug the landy out of the back yard.

Took FOREVER to fire up, ran like balls, and was again backfiring back through the carb and generally couldn't keep the thing running.

tweaked the dizzy round to retard the timing by about 30 degrees which smoothened it out, stopped the backfiring, makes it start and run like a champ. Very pleased I don't have to muck with futher tuning of carb etc. Will double check with timing light when I steamclean the block to get rid of concrete spec mud covering everything/tuniung by ear never did me wrong before.

have removed the muffler which has blown to bits as it vents on the deck floor which maybe isn't ideal. will cut up workmate's scrap silvia sidepipe up and tack something together that'll sort that out and quieten it down a little.

• Like 5

another pictureless update. 

hopefully this weekend coming will have some pics hah. 

fixed original exhaust but trimmed it down a bit. nice and quiet now.

retimed it again. 

mucked with mixtures again. 

now runs like a champ

checked out the brakes. needs rear shoes, and front shoe coming up. cylinders are fine. master cylinder is buggered though (jamming) so will fix that. 

clutch hydraulics - still not sure. probably needs a master cylinder. 

wheel alignment - seems to have a bent pitman arm or something. tierod is wound right in and still toes out hard. fixed it the hori way by bending it with a come along winch. hah!

still thinking of doing front springs - right hand one has a broken centrebolt and two broken leaves. lolz. might keep my eyes out for a pair of parabolics. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so yeah, slammed a thermostat in this thing on sat as it ran colder than a witch's tit and subsequently was a bag of arseholes.

also checked all the diff, trans, and front hub oils. was a fair bit of water in the front diff but the drain plug shrouds are all smashed up which means I couldn't get the bungs undone. just flushed all the old oil out by putting a bit of hose into each cavity as deep as I could and pumping new oil in. messy but sorted.

after the river escapade the brakes had stuck on, and the clutch rusted solid to the flywheel which made getting it out of the lockup interesting.

Need to give the brakes a bit of a birthday now. today a wheel cylinder or something has ruptured and letting fluid out. clutch hydraulics need a tutu with as well.

Went and said gidday to the gcsb on the way to a mission this morning

1098413_10151887584370348_696491377_n.jp

then caught up with ol' mate pee-dubz and we went for a bit of a hoon slash reccy for some exercises he's got to organise or something out at the raumai bombing range.

was a sweet op to go for a cruise/look at an area that's usually restricted az.

1186022_10151887589725348_297341913_n.jp

A-Framing that distance behind a similarly weighted swb vehicle was a bit sketch at times. the fact that all the rubber has fallen out of the leaf spring bushes right through means the old land rover gets a bit of a wiggle on now and then.

running crossply SAT's at 5psi on forestry roads makes anything over 30mph with everything that's worn out is pretty interesting too. roffle

so will start to get some bits together and give the old girl a bit more of a birthday over the next whenever. hoping to pick up some front springs from donmcdazzle at some stage as this is one of the main things that holds her back offroad now. little suspension from how sagged the fronts are means any decent crossaxle articulation spots just leave it cast. plus yesterday whilst doing the oils I noticed another leaf on in the left hand pack is broken so only a matter of time 'til it shits the bed primetime

pretty impressed with how much useable grunt the 202 has. hammer down over a fairly decent loosely packed dune today was childs play. awesome

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

lol. 

so went for another huge hoon in this in the weekend. 

smelt weird when I got back to the end/my parents place. 

a-framed it home. more burny oil stank. 

flipped some shit to bits and found a fairly rooted pair of front wheel bearings on one side. 

other side seems ok but haven't pulled it to bits. 

will order some new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and front wheel bearings tomorrow. hopefully not too spendy!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

choice. so did front cylinders and shoes. put original front shoes on rear (linings were falling off rears) and rebuilt rear cylinders.

needs another bleed but may need to pressure bleed it/backward bleed. we'll see. 

anyways, used this thing to haul some logs out of a yuck as gully for firewood yesterday. went like a champ although doesn't like 50% diesel in it's fuel. hah

might hit the beach sometime this weekend

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Radiator was leaky/rotten and it almost completely chernobyled on my wedding day but two big fat cubes of "BRIAX SEALWELL" sealed the leaks as they appeared on the day (was a few decent geysers but let it cool down for a few min, and it'd seal and off we went. hilarious!)

Got the radiator recored with a 3 cores deep truck item on the original tanks. $$$$ but well worth it IMO.

new water pump, thermostat that wasn't jammed open and new radiator hoses (still trying to source a top one that sits nicely actually, gah!) and we're motoring again. 

somehow the new core made the fan quieter? PHYSICS! 

Still trying to decide whether to go for an electric item or what to do. 

noticed this whilst underneath doing radiator stuff. looks like it was like it pre-revin although I didn't notice it when I was checking all the spring bushes and stuff.

zyxrbvux.mxs.jpg

that's the front eye on teh front left spring. eek. 

I want to put parabolics in the front at least though so i'm looking for a reasonably priced pair of those at the moment. 

still rolling it. probably shouldn't. bangs like a dunny door in a tornado when you're on rough ground so I shal take it easy hah. 

Probably explains some of the excessive wandering tendencies! 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't come across any parabolics that I'm keen on the price of, and for my useage I'm reading mixed reviews so I'm gonna run with stockers for now. 

whipped front springs out tonight. 

These run a bit of a weird swining shackle at the rear of the spring - the top part has a thread cut on one plate, which I guess can preload the shackle plates against the chassis bush, then a locknut over top. Once I had the springs out (very easy - was frightened the bolts would be frozen inside the bush crush tubes) I couldn't move the swinging shackle wth even a big bar. Whomever recently replaced the bushes in the rearward end of the spring must've done it up with a rattle gun far too tightly. Probably didn't help the uncompliance of the front suspension! 

She rides like the only suspension comes from the tyres. Much worse than my last rover. 

12190855_10153994590950348_2711374107170

left hand side of the front axle was able to walk by a good 1.5" which is pretty dangerous in all honesty. Made it pretty hard to hold in a straight line when coupled with a fairly sloppy steering box. 

There's also a fair ridge in the underside of most of the leaves where the next one down slides against it and a bit of rust heave. I'll tidy that up, maybe add some uhmw tape to aid in frictionless win, modify the leaf clamps to have bolts in the top rather than the folded over type and taper the ends of the leaves. May whip one leaf out to add to the ride quality as well and go from there. 

The bolt type clamps is purely for futureness - easy to pop the bolt off and let the diff hang down and spread the leaves to fire motorcycle chain wax in or something if they need a bit of a lube up.

Have had a couple of new main leaves made up by archers in rotorua (6mm stock rather than 3/16" coz they don't carry the 3/16" anymore)

Hoping to have them all back in by the weekend. 

Need to get a couple of centrebolts and a couple of new flap discs for the grinder and I'm good to go. 

after that, I still need to replace the brake master cylinder, and then move on to the rear springs - they're an afterthought which seems to have been built to take a seriously heavy amount of weight and they don't move much at all. plus the thing's jacked a good 3 or so inches from original so I'm pretty keen to sort that to make it a bit morecomfy. I'll never want to put a tonne of shit in the back so there's no point leaving them as they are. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

oh jesus. 

What've I done? 

qpnr1lnm.pxy.jpg
cmfxpn4g.p1l.jpg

bh5gqwni.fw0.jpg

Blake hooked me up with the dealz on this. 
1953 series one 80". 
80s are apparently super SUPER rare now, and this one's an ex army one which is pretty cool.

His mate Dazza's old man has had this in his backyard for about 20 years. last wof was 1995/96? 

anyways, sorted a deal and collected it tonight. left a trailer of rust from wanganui (literally, this thing is rainin' rust from teh chassis) 

everything's fucked. engine is a 186 holden that'd had a full rebuild and covered about 6000miles on CNG before parked. 
Run a few times since then but whatevz
Pretty much that's all I want from it. Will do a few bits and pieces on it then slot it into the 109 when I get to the end of the clutch in that thing's life (slips a little now and then now so will prolly be toward winter next year)

has widened steels and super lush (albeit perished a little) 750-16 crossply wranglers. must've been some super rowdy tyres back in the day. 

hilarious! 
  • Like 7

had a fettle with series one tonight..

filled it with water. jumper leads on 20+ year old battery. picked up the piece of firewall that's fallen down that contains ignition switch and gauges (wasn't expecting much) turned key on and push starter button. 

turr rurrr rurrrr. 

let it wind over a bit to splash oil round.

no spark. points grubby and dead coil. sorted that. 

big hole in fuel tank (rust) so just squirted a whole lot of crc down the carb, then brake cleaner in the float chamber breather tube thing. 

turr rurr rurrr vrrommm!!!

runs pretty good. started on 5cyl then promptly picked up number six. only a small puff of smoke from the crc i reckon. mean. seems to run a lot quieter than the engine in my good one. 

whipped three plugs out once it'd run a few minutes and did a compression check. 165-170 on all three. I'm happy with that. 

while it's out of this thing coz it's easy:

- whip the head off and get ol' mate jim to give it a lick with the die grinder. 

-smash a bit nicer cam at it to give a little more pep and new lifters 

-play with the dizzy

-metal timing gears if not already fitted (this engine was rebuilt and only had a few thousand miles on it apparently so maybe it already has them. was quite whiney up front compared to others) 

-check bigends and oil pump. 

-chuck a new water pump etc on and give it a pretty basic tidy up.

pretty hilarious. the gearbox crossmember pretty much broke away completely from the chassis while all this was going on. i'm pretty much not gonna try cut a lap round the block in this one haha.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

whipped the engine out just now

raemk4qs.r04.jpg

so much rust falling off in the process. I swept underneath three times already hah. 

plan now is get engine degreased, onto the engine stand and whip head off and give it to ol' mate g-man for a tickle up
bit flasher camshaft
check bigend and main bearings
few other new bits and pieces then slot it into my 109 with a new clutch. 
cheeee
  • Like 6