Campylobactors S2A Land Rover

turns out the engine in the series one was/is a 173. 

Whipped some shit off it and it's definitely had a recent rebuild. bores are a wee bit glazed looking and had a bit of greasy carbon on the piston tops. 

I imagine the glazing comes from running low load high RPM as is often done when doing road driving in old series landys. Once I get it together I'll chuck a decent trailer on the thing and give it a good pull up through vinegar hill and shit. Didn't blow any smoke so I reckon it'll come right. Not really any evidence of blowby etc from the underside so we'll see. 

+.50mm pistons and new bearings, alloy timing gears etc. 

cam looks a bit worn so will bin that

head hadn't really had a birthday - needed new exhaust valves and springs are a bit soft, guides are a bit pooey. I blame the carbon on this . 

gave the head to ol' jim and he's taking forever.... he's giving the ports a bit of a clean up/deshrouding the valves, sorting the springs/exh valves etc

He's also built up a late red 202 carb for it or some shit. 

need to order a camshaft. I don't want a 'regrind' so will prolly get one smashed out of a new billet off auckland camshaft services. lpg/towing 'high torque' type should free up a few neddys and make it happier to sit at high rpm lol.

will order a new alternator closer to the time of engine fitment (100A one from ashdowns) and a few other bits and pieces.

I was reluctant to use the 173 when I found it wasn't what it was meant to be but they're not that far down on power compared to a 186, plus I was always happy with the amount of power the 186 made, just it was getting tired and the cam thrust plate etc i think is worn causing camshaft walk/unable to get the timing nice so it pinks like fuck. should go good once it's in. 

Need to replace the input shaft bearing in the trans too so I haven't been using the thing for the last couple of months until I get the cylinder head back and can proceed with the engine swap. 

I stripped the series one of anything decent (fuck all) and sold the wheels/tyres to a joker that'll be using them on his farm landy (10km commute to his cowshed on closed roads then paddock work etc) which recovered the cost of the vehicle. 

rest went to scrap - chassis broke in half when they forklifted it off my trailer. lolz. 

6167_10154137822335348_22817087156325599

• Like 4

also, ran a vin decoder and confirmed that it definitely was a factory 2600cc 6. all the signs pointed to this anyways. 

347 Model: Land Rover, Series IIA   Body type: Basic   Wheel base: 109in   Engine: 6-cylinder   Model years: 1966-1971   Destination: Completely knocked down (CKD), right-hand drive (RHD) 0J996 Serial number D Design: Three significant design modifications  

Suffix used from April 1967 till March 1968

• Like 1

oh yeah I chucked those widened s1 steelz and crossply muds on for a lol. 

looked pretty staunch. 

same width as the ones I roll now and I didn't really want the extra offset making the steering even cuntier so I didn't run with them. plus the tyres were cracked and i didn't want them esploding on me

750r16 radials on stock LWB rims. 

ljcbfkpr.t2x.jpg

750-16 crossply wranglers on widened SWB series one rims.

hlxnt5hk.yzj.jpg

• Like 5

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...