P5 Landau rescue..

yetchh

Discussion thread - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34426

Ok so after a small push ive got one car to put up here, i started this while i was still in oz but had to put it all on hold otherwise my repair certifier would have made me pull it all apart which i didnt relish.. so this is a cut and paste from fordforums.com.au and also on aussiecoupes.net, enjoy.. thomas

Fast forward to aug 07 and i could not believe how much things had changed in the price department.. like 300% increase in price i pretty much consigned myself to never owning a coupe in good cond.. so i bought my xc wagon (which my missus christened goldie) as i needed a car for work, not the best choice as i only get around 4-5kms per liter, then after around 2 years of watching things come and go on the coupe market.. my landau came up on ebay. i watched it for a while with a few bids pushing it to the 6k mark where it stayed for about 80% of the auction.. at the time i was up in St Arnud shooting and i ummd and ahhd about it before coming home to find that it was still at the 6k mark with 5hrs to go, i set myself a max bid of 8k and sniped it in the last 4 seconds and somehow managed to buy myself a clapped out piece of craap for 7800..

I had bought it sight unseen and those of you who know, you can never really tell whats goin on in the photos unless they are close up.. this thing is seriously stuffed as you'll see, with some major rust problems going on, it might have been a bit of a non bargain but i am happy that i am now on the ford coupe ladder, albeit on the groung still but at least i'm holding the sides .. its matching numbers but the engine doesnt turn over at all, i have no idea why just yet but i hope its not termina, i just scored mysel a fairly mint roof for $620 and the guy also has a couple of rear 1/4s to sell me when i'm ready(youll see why) but i a bit piissed at myself for letting a fairly mint parcel shelf go by on ebay for $610.. sorry about the long intro, i just thought its better with a little history then you get why i bought this car.. anyway heres some photos to start

on the trailer at the sellers place

05052009138.jpg

back at mine after only being able to load it backwards and wobbling the trailer all the way home

Picture009.jpg

Picture024.jpg

proud new owner :$

Picture020.jpg

and the rust

IMG_0015-2.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

i think i might have discovered the reason for the warranty void stamp on the vin.. as you can see its clearly had something done to the rear 1/4s as there is a weld line from one side to the other on both sides

IMG_0020-1.jpg

you can also see where theyve lapped the new panel

IMG_0021-1.jpg

new roof on goldie

IMG_0006-1.jpg

the area in which i hope to start a massive job soon

IMG_0009-1.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

so that brings it up to date.. i have yet to get myself a welder but have a friend who is an engineer and can get me one cost.. hopefully give me some tips too.. the funny thing is ive buying up tools for the last 6 months and everything is shiney new.. i wonder how long that'll last..

ohh.. the other thing is that i have given myself till late 2011 then i'm going back to NZ to live the good life in Christchurch, both the fords will be going back with me and maybe the pig (landcruiser).. cheers for reading.. thomas

• Like 3

2nd instalment..

this next post is the last update i made on ford forums.. again, C&P.. cheers, thomas

ok i have an update to my progress, after deliberating for the last few weeks ive decided to go the whole hog and strip her right back to make sure all the rust is completely eliminated, not only strip her but also separate her into her three major components, body structure, floor pan/firewall and engine sub frame.. this will allow me to repair all the rust spots and and proof against further attacks also, i will be able to replace other panels within these separate components with more ease than if they were together .. i may also be relocating the body to a better environment for this procedure.. anyway.. heres a couple of pics, cheers, thomas

say hello to my little friend..

DSCF3910.jpg

parcel shelf awesomeness

DSCF3901.jpg

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3905.jpg

DSCF4010.jpg

DSCF4037-1.jpg

DSCF4038.jpg

DSCF4015.jpg

garage is starting to fill up

DSCF4039.jpg

so that is pretty much where i'm at, just waiting on some parts from another FF members and then i can get right into it which i am seriously itching to do, but not only that, i had set myself a 2 year time frame before i shift back to nz.. now its the end of this year, so i have even less time with which to finish. hopefully if i dont get stuffed around too much this wont be a problem.. anyway, cheers for reading... and wish me luck, cheers, thomas

• Like 1

3rd

Question one.. have you had a look at the history of the car?

:raiseeyes: I mean REALLY looked into the history..

Ok, perhaps i can pose this question to you to generate a train of thought... I am still stuck on the photos with the rear 1/4s and the weld lines.. the exact same on both sides you say?

Have a look at the profile of the car, taking into consideration the weld line and angle of it... i dont know about you but the words convertable test mule come to mind?? Since the tags (?) are stamped warranty void, wouldnt this mean something was VERY wrong of changed from factory?

yeah, ive delved a little into it, but ford doesnt have any information on it apart form the vin, year etc.. there is some writing on the back of the panels

DSCF4028.jpg

which a couple of people have indicated could be referring to a place called lyon bros motors/bodyworks in eltham.. as for the convertable idea, the welds tell me that it was the bottom of the rear quarters that have been replaced as they've brazed them on where as everything above that line is spot welded, theres also no evidence of any other repairs to the body frame, i suspect it was just damaged in the factory or something, for them to put what looks to me like a factory stamp on the vin plate.. its all a bit of a mystery.. anyway, thanks for the welcome fellaz, and i'll try to keep regular updates comin in

• Like 1

4th

update time.. c&p again from ff's

okay.. heres an update with a fairly different looking car.. for the better i might say.. theres a lot of pics but it gives you a good idea of what i have to do to her.. for some reason the blasters did all the plenum and a pillars when i said dont but also didnt do the underside of the new roof or the inside of the frame for it.. no matter i'm very very happy with the $1000 it cost me, would definitely recommend doing this as i gives you an awesome start and good idea of what to do to finish your pride and joy.. anyway.. hope you enjoy the pics

DSCF4108.jpg

DSCF4107.jpg

swiss cheese..

DSCF4111.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

this shows the major damage to the original panels.. not sure if i'll even use them

DSCF4116.jpg

DSCF4117.jpg

DSCF4118.jpg

DSCF4119.jpg

the good panels.. no rust in rear quarters either, one has a small amount of dimpling as you can see

DSCF4120.jpg

DSCF4121.jpg

6th

shame this is scrap.. came out awesome..

DSCF4136.jpg

and now the photos of what i have to fix.. pretty easy i think..

DSCF4134.jpg

DSCF4133.jpg

DSCF4132.jpg

DSCF4131.jpg

DSCF4130.jpg

DSCF4128.jpg

DSCF4127.jpg

DSCF4126.jpg

DSCF4125.jpg

inside the passenger sill..

DSCF4166.jpg

DSCF4165.jpg

DSCF4164.jpg

DSCF4162.jpg

DSCF4163.jpg

drivers sill..

DSCF4160.jpg

DSCF4159.jpg

DSCF4158.jpg

overall now that its clean.. i'm happy with my decision to keep the structure together, the sand blasting has really shown just how good the rest of the car is and when i get my p5 cut blasted and and on, i'll be a long way to having it finished.. way excited..

• Like 1

7th

heres the pics i promised, not much, but the drilling might easier as you'll see.. 28 down, 472 to go

heres some shots of the garage and how much room i now have, should get better once the new additions are dismantled

DSCF4172.jpg

DSCF4177.jpg

DSCF4178.jpg

DSCF4175.jpg

DSCF4204.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

the small amount of rust in the p5 section, pretty easy fix once its apart, well, easier than mine anyway

DSCF4182.jpg

DSCF4181.jpg

DSCF4201.jpg

good floor

DSCF4200.jpg

DSCF4210.jpg

DSCF4202.jpg

DSCF4201.jpg

rust free donor floor.. only really using the three main panels from this, the two side panels and the tail light panel

and a couple of patch pieces..

DSCF4196.jpg

DSCF4197.jpg

DSCF4198.jpg

DSCF4199.jpg

and finally some ford consistancy for ya..

top panel is from the landau, bottom is p5.. think the guy spot welding the p5 was in a big hurry.. only did half the welds

the landau has...

DSCF4211.jpg

DSCF4214.jpg

DSCF4179.jpg

this shot shows the insert that is drilled compared to the one that isnt.. the undrilled insert is wrong, its a right hand side one

in back to front

DSCF4180.jpg

as i said, not much but you get the idea..

• Like 1

8th

got some pics for ya, nothing special, but progress...

DSCF4216-1.jpg

close up of some rust..

DSCF4222-1.jpg

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4218-1.jpg

main rust in lower plenum panel

DSCF4223.jpg

DSCF4226-1.jpg

lower panel off

DSCF4227.jpg

DSCF4229.jpg

right a pillar off

DSCF4239.jpg

DSCF4241.jpg

floor in half

DSCF4242.jpg

floor off

DSCF4244.jpg

stuff to get acid dipped or sand blasted

DSCF4367.jpg

start on donor rear floor

DSCF4370.jpg

some spot welds drilled

DSCF4372-1.jpg

there you have it, not much.. thanks

• Like 1

whoops, this ones out of place...

ok i have a small update.. scored myself the quarters that go with the roof, he also has a screen and a fuel tank that i can have for free so i'm a very happy chappy.. also should have the beams to span the carport tomorrow (everything going to plan) so that theoretically means i can get the roof on and properly start the process within the week.... theoretically....

heres a couple of pics.. got some new tires for goldie too

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg]image

IMG_0005.jpg

• Like 1

ok... heres a few more out of place.. theyre from a different forum...

well today i started to pull apart my piece of iron ore on wheels.. started in the boot area and took the bumper and lights etc off..

some piccies

boot lid must be the only rust free piece in the whole car

DSCF3773.jpg

least i can re-use the gas tank

DSCF3774.jpg

DSCF3779.jpg

rusty rear caliper

DSCF3778.jpg

tank out

DSCF3780.jpg

just a little rust in here' date=' not too bad

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/yetchh/DSCF3781.jpg[/img]

DSCF3784.jpg

• Like 1

pulled the dash out on thursday.. at least the mice made good use of the car..

DSCF3813.jpg

last registered in 1985

DSCF3818.jpg

storing everything is a bit of a mission, lucky i have a bit of space in the roof..

DSCF3811.jpg

DSCF3812.jpg

and to day i pulled the old donk (my first v8) which was actually a lot easier than i imagined it to be, got home with the hoist at about 2 and had it out by 345, easy az.. except when i took the pan of the fmx to drain it it pretty much exploded everywhere, seems it was full of water mayo and trans fluid which explains why it was hard to push and shift gears, also i only got about 2 ltrs of oil out of the engine, hopefully its just a seized crank and not rusty bores..

DSCF3826.jpg

DSCF3830.jpg

DSCF3832.jpg

DSCF3833.jpg

DSCF3834.jpg

• Like 1

pulled the engine apart to day.. not all bad news..

thats one well cooked engine

DSCF3837.jpg

jerky stick any one

DSCF3842.jpg

the bores all looked pretty good

DSCF3844.jpg

except for this one, which explains why i couldnt turn it over.. cant get this piston out either

DSCF3846.jpg

DSCF3843.jpg

DSCF3851.jpg

he must have got this engine bloody hot, i'm surprised theres not more damage

DSCF3852.jpg

DSCF3855.jpg

does anyone know what it costs to have a block cleaned and prepped.. bored, line honed etc?

• Like 1

took the heater out the other day, got some rust pics..

passenger side..

DSCF3880.jpg

DSCF3878.jpg

DSCF3879.jpg

DSCF3882.jpg

passenger floor..

DSCF3885.jpg

drivers side..

DSCF3883.jpg

DSCF3887.jpg

DSCF3888.jpg

DSCF3884.jpg

on sat i'll be finishing the last of the tasks the i have to perform on goldie (reco front suspension and brakes) so i can finally fill the rest of my space up with bits.. i will also be purchasing my mig this week and start drilling some welds out...

i think the best option is for me to try and purchase a rust free XB front cut with which to replace all of the rusty ones in my landau.. wish me luck.. cheers, thomas

ok, so thats a bit arse about face but you get the general idea.. etch primed is how it sits in my garage under a tarp, but thaks to the shitty salty air out here its already getting surface rust.. and nothing will be happening on it until i finish all my other cars which, by comparison, are a fucken small walk in the park.. struggling to find any sort of decent parts back here in nz which cuts me up a bit too, so if anyone knows anybody who is wrecking any of the xa xb xc series sedans or coupes could they let me know.. chur, thomas

• Like 1

• 9 years later...