Motoroche's HK Monaro

kyteler

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HK monaro bonnet has a cool shape without tunnelrams.

I regret to inform you a 304 is not an option sorry.

186s are more fun that they get credit for and can go quite well. If it was a numbers matching 6cyl car I'd stick to it.

But a cammy 327 would be awesome. They cost fuck all to pull down and rebuild so may as well do that and get it nice and shined up before it goes in.

Is the 186 floorshift?

I don't work for Avon city ford.

A hot 327 with my AFR heads and roller set up should do the trick.

The car is a factory GTS 186s manual so it has the floor shift.

I think most had the old opel manual box in them standard but mine has got a Aussie 4 speed fitted (m20) now.

The thing with the HK is that they have a very shallow tunnel and you can't fit in a gearbox like a T5 or T56 unless you cut the tunnel.

A common mod is to weld in a HQ tunnel. I'm not to keen to chop this one up so I think I will use a supper T10, (Richmond, Jerico) type gearbox.

Only problem then is no overdrive which equals hight cruise rev's with a low ratio diff.

Sweet car, glad you joined, not too far away at all!

Redline tyres, Widened 14's. 4spd 327, keep it simple & clean as mentioned above!

Oh yeah redline tyres - they set off classic 60's aussie muscle something delightfully fierce...

The panel beater has just been around and is keen to start on it asap, so that's good news. Just need to decide if I want him to do the hole lot or just the rear quarters. I'm thinking the hole lot done would be nice especially as he thinks he could have it all done and painted within 3 months.

That straight cut cam gear set was in my 400 that I had in my HZ ute. You are right it was noisy as hell and I ended up removing it and the alloy heads when I sold it. It was interesting at wof time as the engine noise was over the decibel limit and the exhaust was not so it passed. The law only talked about exhaust noise apparently.

The panel beater has just been around and is keen to start on it asap, so that's good news. Just need to decide if I want him to do the hole lot or just the rear quarters. I'm thinking the hole lot done would be nice especially as he thinks he could have it all done and painted within 3 months.

oldschool needs to have a like button. come have a look at my hatch if ya ever need to, otherwise it is in very very good hands. he is all about doing it the right way and making everything work. fucks him off when people dont take the extra effort to make body lines work, and/or use bog instead of a hammer and dolly.

oldschool needs to have a like button. come have a look at my hatch if ya ever need to, otherwise it is in very very good hands. he is all about doing it the right way and making everything work. fucks him off when people dont take the extra effort to make body lines work, and/or use bog instead of a hammer and dolly.

That's good to know, and he's in Christchurch?... I've lost count of how many beaters I've heard that bog up instead of proper panel work, a mate of mine in oz spent 10k on a resto panel and paint to find that 18 months later bubbles appeared from under layers of bog, had to do it all again..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HQ V8 mounts with a spacer, gearbox mount for whatever box he's gonna run unless he stayed with the muncie which should just be a bellhousing swap to SBC bellhousing. Longer starter motor cable, maybe v8 engine loom. v8 radiator (dont think holden V8 ones fit either), exhausts, and any driveshaft swaps/mods to suit trans. Also maybe V8 front springs as the SBC will be heavier

• 1 month later...