Turbo fiends - clutch question

KKtrips

OK so guys with turbo cars.. I am trying to rack my brain back 7+years ago when I was a mechanic and trying to figure something out.

I replaced the clutch on my BX last night. Went for a drive and it feels like it is slipping when on boost in 3rd and it feels super light compared to the last one. (I hope like fuck they haven't sold me an underspec non turbo one even though I asked for a heavy duty sucker) I thought it may have just been me at 11pm being all daft but driving to work today it did the same thing...

Do turbo clutches need some bedding in period? I can't recall doing too many turbo clutches back in the day that needed to be bed in.. So something tells me that this is not a "she'll come right" issue and that there is a problem here..

If it is a fault with the clutch then how much of a right do I have to go back and tell them to fix it even though I fitted the clutch and did all the labour and got the clutch and flywheel machining done for trade price.

I REALLY am not keen to pull it out again.. I would rather detune it with no turbo or push it off a cliff than pull that box out again..

I'm hoping its a bedding in period - or I need to thrash the clutch to get it broken in... (but my mind doubts this very much)

FWIW the , pressure plate and release bearing clutch were replaced, flywheel machined and I also replaced the rear main seal.

Clutch and flywheel machining was from the same place..

was there a step in the flywheel that has now been machined out?
There was a step when I took it off and was still there when I put it back in - whether its the same height as before I cannot say I bothered to measure..

I must say this exact thing crossed my mind also and 99% eliminated it as these guys are one of two places in Wellington city that machine flywheels and most probably the more reputable one of the two so would be inclined to believe they got it right

(the 1% I didn't eliminate is basic human error)

If anything is a cock up I'm more inclined to believe that the pressure plate is wrong as the pedal is soooooo light.

I was under the impression that clutches needed to be bedded in...I know the clutch in my Levin got progressively harder/firmer as it racked up k's.

Come to think of it, all 3 of the cars I have done heavy duty/paddle clutches in have been the same...quite soft initially, then gradually got bitier

All the heavy duty clutchs Ive had be it kevlor full face organic or even puck clutchs they take 1000km to wear in take it up through the revs stay away from redline lots of start stop traffic etc dont slip it to much and also you should only ever get clutch smell once when you start

or possibly too thin a clutch disc

you mean thick don't you? I've had discs too thick that have come right after wearing abit as plate springs feel heavier further you get from over-centre

cross hatch patterned the flywheel? no big accidental slips that might have glazed it?

Replaced Rover 620TI Clutch about a week ago as Yowzer has mentioned, No slip period. Not even under full boost. I've seen Peugeot clutches slip slightly when new before. But only very lightly and only for the first few Km.

And Yowzer the clutch took ages to bleed because both the Master Cylinder and slave were new and dry to begin with.

Also very common for clutches too feel quite light new, especially in the European cars I've experienced...

No hydraulics to bleed on a Cit - even though everything else is hydraulic - strangely the clutch is cable...

So anyway - this evening I cruised along in 4th on the motorway with 3 people in the car and nailed it and it didn't really flare up in revs like I was expecting it to as a slipping clutch would do. It did increase speed however..

I'm actually starting to think I'm tripping balls and the kick I'm expecting to get me in the pants for third gear just is never going to be there.. Cos I then drove it in anger up my hill again and I'm not sure I noticed the slipping as bad...

It has a definite turbo "thrust" feel in 1st and 2nd but 3rd - 5th just has the steady rev increase, albeit quickly. It just doesn't have the sensation of increasing speed like I get in 1st and 2nd.

Bloody hard to describe - guess I just need someone who has a mind for these things to come and drive it then punch me in the balls and tell me its fine...

GAH!

Said Rover was exactly as you describe that KK, felt the turbo 'kick' as it punched the torque in during 1st and 2nd but 3rd through 5th were noticeably less exciting but still plenty of power behind them.

Wow both Englishman and Frenchman would be turning in their graves to hear these two cars being compared.