Bullitt's Lotus

Bullitt

What battery did you replace it with by the way? Another Odyssey or something like a Bosch battery for the application?

Its badged as a Repco one but who makes it I'm not sure. Repco has about three different ranges of batteries and this was the top one in the appropriate size. $191 worth. Will think about something abit more premium next time but for now itll likely use itself up sitting in the garage so decided against wasting another Odyssey like Stanley appears to have.

Refresh it over winter?

Oh fuck me I LOLed (no offence meant).

So did I :lol:

Fitted personalised plates. I've had these for a long time now so some people who have known me a long time might remember them, though theyve never been on a oldschool style car as all the ones Ive owned had black plates.

24062012212.jpg

Next issue is the Passengers door mirror decided to part company with the car on Sunday.

27062012222.jpg

I could fix it but theyre pretty cheap so I'll just buy a new one. Either way itd have to be repainted as you can see the scratches in the photo from where it bounced down the road.

That's an unusual failure Paul, never seen one go like that before, without a hit anyway. What's actually broken? The die-cast bit where the mirror swivels from?

The mirror is just off a Rover Metro, so cheap enough, only the silver bit is painted, and textured black off the Metro, they can be swapped over.

My guess is that someone's walked into it in the garage in the past and cracked it and fatigue has taken over from there.

The metal is ok, its just broken the plastic lugs, you can place it back on the car and it looks fine but it wont mount properly without glueing it back together which seems more hassle than its worth.

Yeah I knew its off a metro, I already have a new one on its way.

I did lightly bump it enough that it was pointing at the ground by the rear wheel when I was putting in the battery but Ill likely do that hundreds of times over the coming years and it should stand up to more than that. I suspect your right its had a bigger bump in the past.

Its badged as a Repco one but who makes it I'm not sure. Repco has about three different ranges of batteries and this was the top one in the appropriate size. $191 worth. Will think about something abit more premium next time but for now itll likely use itself up sitting in the garage so decided against wasting another Odyssey like Stanley appears to have.

Its a Century battery, they're good.

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress Paul? I hope you've been at least using it :)

Oh and one thing that should definitely go on the shopping list are a set of upper shock mounts. Your car being a post '98 car has a 160mm/160mm ride height, 4WD spec. The other brackets bring it back to the 140mm/140mm of the early cars. That's still plenty high enough, not low just looks and performs a bit better :)

New mirror is sitting in bits waiting to go to be painted.

Had it out yesterday after work for the first time in 3 weeks. Only did about 20 miles but it was all on interesting roads and good fun.

I knew mine was higher but I hadn't got to the detail of why that was. Is on the list to sort once my house costs abate somewhat.

• 1 year later...

Not too much of an update to this.  I fixed the mirror from the post above and upgraded to better toelinks.  Other than that I've now done 5,000ks pretty trouble free in 18 months so its not getting much use but I expected that.

In other news I decided my Peugeot wasn't too practical due to my house/trailer/dog owning status so I've just bought this:

1468731_10152116642623343_1439428861_n.j

2004 VZ Commodore SS.  5.7l LS1 with 250kw or maybe a little bit more due to a Remus exhaust.  Is quite different to anything I've ever owned before but its a bit of a laugh so far.

• Like 1