CAD drawing library

Spencer

Mikeys option is probably good for this situation but for future in my opinion just get that draftsight program which is free,

you can open up the dxf/dwg and check it, make sure all layers are turned on, visibile and not frozen. I think type "layers" into the cmd line.

If you still have trouble then you can send it to someone here and we can check it

I've downloaded DraftSight now and I can see that it will be handy in the future, but the file that I have created outside of the program doesn't seem to be usable.

Would somebody be able to have a looksie at my file to see if they can convert it into something the laser cutter guy can use? PM me with your email address, and I'll send my file in a couple of formats.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll offer drawing up basic stuff in solidworks as I use it everyday at work. especially if toyota related. can save as .dxf .dwg etc. but need to supply decent enough sketches or scans to work from.

I can also host files if requested. had my current website up since 2004.

must PM me!

Some pics of parts i've drawn for myself http://toycrazy.net/...y/parts/engine/

Garrett flange drawings can be found here. Click on the turbo and each one has pdf drawings of the flange sizes etc.

http://www.turbobyga...t/turbochargers

www.dropbox.com is a file sharing site we've started using at work. So simple and no bullshit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Esky_addict

Hi fellas ive drawn some stuff up on draftsight to be cut out at work on our water cutter. All lines were joined by snapping them but when transferred to works drawing program there are some lines that arent joined up. Anybody know if thats from draftsight or works shitty program?

Cheers

Guest retep130

its likely your shitty drawing skills without knowing any more info

if you can make a region in draftsight out of the cutout then it is all linked, otherwise it is not. Type in 'region' then select all the lines that make the cutout

• 3 weeks later...

just wondering if someone can help me out. spent an hour or so after work today drawing up blacktop ITB flange - is such a gay shape with not a lot of reference points etc but think I am pretty close. Has anyone got either a scan or a dxf/dwg/.sldprt of one that has been cut and is reasonably close?

had to hold gasket up to screen and squint through one eye to try get the splines/radii right.. not ideal

also would like to check my 2zz flange I drew (drew it off a crappy thermal gasket) but doubt anyone on here would have one.. :P

hey spence would be super keen to have a geez at the touring car drawing! is it hosted somewhere or can it be compressed enough to be sent??

yeah sucks arse trying to draw it.. only solution I have thought of is printing 1:1 scale and comparing & making adjustments till its close.

same with positioning of holes etc, realy easy to be 1-2mm out when they aren't lined up with something to refer to.

printing on a home printer and checking for accuracy is a bad good idea, home printers are super inaccurate. Only printers that can do good 1:1's are high end large printers, even fancy photocopiers are trash.

If you dont have a super printer to use from a engineer or something, then your best bet is just to measure the shit out of what you are wanting to make, its not so bad with something like a manifold gasket because you can measure from every hole which can give you many points of reference. Plus if you are confident that all the ports/bolts are at the same height(ie level) then thats another thing that will help

Browse the acl website fornthebgasket. They have pictures you can load into your drawing programming. You'll have to stretch it and measure a few points until its right, but it should give you something to go by....

And you can laser cut samples out of acrylic for fuck all normally if you want to see how your drawing skills worked out...

Can used that way to do my bike carb manifold and it was fairly average. Though it helped heaps to get the outside contours to be the same(ish).

It also helped as a sanity check to say you have your measurements right when you type them all in etc.

Diagram drawings from gasket manufacturers like ACL are either super good or super rubbish. If the image on the website comes from the source file that was used to make the dies then it's great. I presume that they probably aren't though so this is a stupid post.

If you want to check how (in)accurate your printer is draw up a 100x100 square with a 10mm grid and then measure it up with your calipers. I used to print sub-mm accuracte circuit board designs with a standard laser printer by doing that and then scaling to suit. That technique will be more than good enough for any flanges etc.

• Like 1