Matt's Rotary Anglia

mattj

running 2015, I think I got the geometry all sorted today, TCA's and tie rods need to be the same length and run parallel to each other so once that is defined it is just a matter of adjusting the steering arms to suit.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, its all good yep a bend would sort it but seeing as the rest of it will be machined then I should be able to just start with a thicker piece of steel and machine it to suit. Gotta grab another couple of dimensions then will finish up the design on Monday

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

I have just joined old school. I have a back burner similar project running 4AGZE after change in direction from BEAMS 3SGE etc. looking at 5 link rear end. Have Mk 2 cortina front struts with BC adjustable grafted on and camber plates etc. mk2 TCAs. FD RX7 alloy 4 pots and Renault discs. Changed also to 114.3. Rear end will be narrowed AE86 Toyota. Also bought Milton steering arms and keen to get involved with some custom cnc ones. Design of arm critical as need to clear callipers but keep standard geometry. I am in Wellington. Regards. Phil. 0274421968

• Like 1

outa interest did you model it up with the Milton ones from the uk? you would hope they would be right. looking at ur model it looks right. the tcas must be in line with the steering arms otherwise they are on a diff angle as they move the lengths will be different. looking good thou. im pretty sure when I did the conversion using the 315 struts I used the 315 arms didn't have any bump steer issues thou I wouldn't recommend using those now etheir I think modding some Anglia ones would be the way to go as you said.

your getting there now. bet you cant wait till its done!!!

• Like 1

outa interest did you model it up with the Milton ones from the uk? you would hope they would be right. looking at ur model it looks right. the tcas must be in line with the steering arms otherwise they are on a diff angle as they move the lengths will be different. looking good thou. im pretty sure when I did the conversion using the 315 struts I used the 315 arms didn't have any bump steer issues thou I wouldn't recommend using those now etheir I think modding some Anglia ones would be the way to go as you said.

your getting there now. bet you cant wait till its done!!!

Hey Rusty, yeah I did model the Milton ones and they weren't right with the geometry I have. I am going to assume that their ones are designed to work with the shorter tca's that they sell as I agree that you would expect them to be right.

And yes can't wait to get it going, it has been far to long in the garage (actually 5 different garages since I started) but it seems like I am actually getting close now

• Like 2

sweet as it will be worth it when you get there!!!! certainly seems like the mk2 cortina conversion is not a just bolt it in and press play.

Outa interest those pics of the blue 105e when you 1st got it. how had that been lowered?

Cheers rusty

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah the fact that they didn't have a load rating or brand or anything that could be used to identify them was the problem. There were other issues with the hubs and axles that related to the different stud pattern

Basically getting the new rims in the 4 x 108 stud pattern meant I could sort the other issues

• Like 1

Nah the problem is that the axles are cast and they don't like you welding to a casting, they didn't even like the locator that was welded on the old ones to locate the rotor even though if the weld was to fail it wouldn't be a major, they reckoned that the heat introduced to the casting could cause other problems.

There are a few things that I disagree with but at least we can modify our cars so it could be worse, I just have to suck it up a bit

I'd love to get some clarification on this subject. I was talking to Diffs R Us recently and they said they often welded and re-drilled axle flanges and if done properly there should be no certification issues.

Enjoying your thread by the way, great fabrication skills and I'm  green with envy re your access to a 3 D printer!

Yeah you know I reckon it might have been a different story if I had proof of where it had been done and they were known by the certifier, as it happened I didn't really have anything like that.

And the key there is 'if its done properly'

I can see it from the certifiers point of view anyway, I wouldn't want to put my name to something when there is no proof that it has been done right.

The 3D printing is something that I have wanted to do for ages but this is the first real application that I have found. It is very cool though.