Alex's better work stories CF Bedford

Willdat?

Your best strategy now is to move on and learn from the exercise.

I'd smash out something from UJs quick smart before this customer loses any more money.

Learn what? The system we have works perfectly. I want to know why it cant be used. Customer wont lose money because if we have to remedy it my boss will pay.

We were told from the start by don hoff that its good and to go ahead with it. He has over seen it from the very beginning when I was holding two bevel boxes in my hands. Now we are told by a committee who not even seen it or driven it that 'two bevel boxes are not allowed' but with no real reason why. This sucks. Big time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the outside looking in it looks kind of simple really. The Certifiers you showed it to thought it was a good idea but did not inform you that it probably wouldn't pass as its not a legal mod. 

Its not really the committees fault as said above its not legal so I think the blame needs to be redirected to the guys that have been advising you it would pass.

Such a shitty situation to be in though.

Yeah it sucks. Its going to come down to our word against Don's. Which is not a nice position to be in because he has been really good with us. But he obviously was not aware of the ruling about bevel boxes either.  It makes for a stickier situation than when sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Its Justin who we have been dealing with when putting it through the committee.

You have not come across as blunt Clint. Those are all fair comments and I realise that no one on here would want to be in the same position as me nor wish it upon anyone else. 

• Like 2

I would look in to WW2 era armoured cars as alot of them had very strange steering box and sometimes more then one and they can be made road legal in NZ. My dad is in military vehicle club and there is some very strange designs that are road legal.

It probably isn't much help at this point, but one of the roles of the TAC is to assess whether or not something that normally isn't allowed, can "due to unusual or special circumstances" be used safely.

So, while it is a rule book, it is not absolute.

This stuff is in section 2.10 btw.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just waiting. We have submitted a review along with help from one of the certifiers. They have asked another certifier who drove it what it was like steering wise and he commented that irt was just like driving a car and you wouldnt know any different. Big thumbs up basically.  Even Tony Johnstone, head honcho at lvvta, had looked over it ages back and only commented then to check that it still self centers. 

We feel hopeful but just waiting.

• 6 months later...

The techy crew in Wellington want to see it in person after good support from couple of certifiers. So we getting it all done then take it over. I've worked out an alternative system for steering but would hate to have to do it. It's been long enough already.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hiya and cheers. the hatch was made by one of old boys at that workplace while I was away on holiday. He did a great job. As for the paint job.. not sure on cost but it would not have been cheap. There was a shit load of prep work and a lot of paint on there.  You can always message the painter- Shane at Custom Colours, Nelson. he has a face book page here... (copy and paste url into search bar?)

https://www.facebook.com/Custom-Colours-Nelson-727054040699835/?ref=br_rs

Alex