10 5's velobike

mark105

so i decided to build one of these things also. found a 8hp honda side valve on trademe which i then acquired for cheaps

this is it

IMG_20120513_180105.jpg

GC i brought it off even dropped it of to me from te puke. got it cheap as it would start but not run when warm. as soon as i turned the fuel tap on there was fuel pissing every where, took carb of and both little tin floats had holes in them so the float bowl was never shutting. bit of solder later and problem solved. cleaned the black as spark plug up and away it went.

the only interesting thing so far is to get 8hp out of a side valve means its 298cc!! and huge. so just as well i got some pretty thick walled tube of Chris (thanks man) to build a frame. i am also going to make it direct drive due to lack of pull start as it is was broken and thrown out prier to me getting the engine and run starting is now mandatory. though i will likely steal petes idea of hand brake tensioner so i have some means of dis engaging drive.

hope to build some kind of a frame this week.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
not if its a freehub

Freehubs lock up when spun clockwise - if thats a freehub then it will be one going fast backwards bike..

TL:DR.. engine AND wheel are round the wrong way..

edit - I just noticed its a motorbike wheel and hence there will be no freehub - they are both still around the wrong way though..

depends if kirks 'wrong way' was referring to rotational direction or driveshaft end in relation to rear wheel sprocket

engine runs clockwise so pto needs to be on other side is what i ment

sproket on wheel can be on either side depending on how you conect it to the engine

edit: when i say clockwise i mean from the pull start/flywheel side. Honda says 'counterclockwise from the pto side'. Altho maybe you could buy these old things in backwards running form. used to be able to buy a few engines like that.

Yeah so Ten Fizz must've had a long day at work and I'm pretty sure my brain is just underdeveloped.

The engine is very clearly just mounted backwards...

Pretty sure he's planning on flipping the engine and rear wheel and still running a jack shaft regardless..