1962 Suzuki MA50 (Suzuki Selpet)

jtkp61

292387_207024402760172_471674817_n.jpg

This is my Suzuki Ma50, also called a Suzuki Selpet.

Bought it earlier on in the year, a friend of mine (fliboi) has rebuilt the engine for me - just needs to get wired up.

I am unsure of what colour to paint it as of yet.

I am looking at maybe going red?

549051_208365572626055_372755192_n.jpg

I am actually having trouble finding out what spark plug I need, does anyone know?

Found one but the thread is too long - would it still work if we used washers or similar to space it up?

Does anyone know anyone who has one of these? Would be keen to find out how many of the same bikes are out there.

I will get some better photos on the weekend of it.

Nah get a new plug, they're like $6 from repco. You can google spark plug codes to see what they mean.

Here's NGK

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/techn ... g-code.htm

If the thread diameter is 14mm and your current thread length is 3/4" (just guessing, this is common, measure before you try) I would guess something like a NGK B6HS might suit.

6 is a good heat range to start with. If the plug fouls alot get a hotter plug (B5HS) if it burns away get a cooler plug (B7HS)

Paint looks good as is.

ngk_sparkplug_symbol_key.gif

try looking on japanese ngk or denso spark plug seach machines(choose japan as your region) they seem to show bikes that are not on the usa/global sites. problem is the seaches come back in a mix of japanese and fucked up english

edit: http://www.denso.co.jp/cgi-bin/plug/mcp ... c=50&FF=30

if your bike isn't on there then probably one of those bikes has the same engine anyway so yeh.

we tried the b6hs from my v50 and i hit the piston, tried the plug from my weedeater and even that hit the piston.

this bike must have a crazy compression ratio cause the compression chamber is fucking tiny! but will try what you suggested.

cj8 is 14mm, kaykaykernal. edit: the cJ stands for 14mm. In ngk the first letter ie B stands for 14mm.

i think you may be geting confused with different plug brands codes.

take you head to a lawnmowershop they will have something that will work

Boom cheers SecksyKirk- I thought I recalled the CJ8 being 14mm but when I (stupidly) cross referenced a Champion to the NGK plug chart it looked like I had ballsed up - hence I put up B6S as a better option..

the weedeater plug may of been a cj7 which does have a bit longer reach than the cj8. threaded bit is same length tho.

edit: i bet that b6s is the plug to try tho. I recockon a flathead lawnmower plug would fit good like a b4lm. Might be a bit hot tho...im running a b2lm in my tecumseh twostroke velobike. Hot as can be haha

the good thing about working at supecheap is that we can come in and turn our stock of plugs upside down,

we also came to the conclusion and purchased a b6s. its shallow as hell and should be the right heat plug. :D

weedeater was a cj7 for what its worth.

/i should stop stealing jacks thunder

Thanks for your help guys, what Josh (fliboi) said pretty much. Sussed out that the B6S should ideally be the right size.

Hopefully getting it wired up next few weeks and ideally should be on the road! Can't wait.

Anybody ever seen one of these bikes the same before? keen to how many there are in the country.

cubastreet- The paint looks alot better in the photos is peeling and really rough in person.