Andre's vauxhall magnum into Firenza droopsnoot project

yoeddynz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably missing something here/not hip to what i'm looking at but I much prefer the nose that is currently on there? But then I have always been a fan of them there vauxhalls

*prepares to be flamed/educated* lol :)

funny that, because when I look at the Zakspeed capri's I think of them more like a top fuel drag car, less car more 'car facade'.

I guess I just find it hard to see the original 'car' in a space framed racer than I do in a car which still has at least most of it's body panels.

Although, that said I've been giving alot of thought to adding alot of drag racing ideas into my own project, like a space framed front end and rear end. I've got it sitting on that frame now and seems like if I was ever going to do it, now is the time to tube up the front and rear and add sheet metal afterwards. I've even been on the look out for a 'jenny', got an automated search going on tardme too. I know I'm going to make the nose cone removable via 4 or 6 bolts, I've even marked the shell out for it with vivid. Although I kind of have too because I want it to be easy to get the engine in and out, and installing the turbo system requires me to remove the inner fenders forward of the stut towers and install 'rounded' arches. (space). I guess it's an evolution thing, you reach a point with some cars where it just makes good sense to go that route.

I'm probably missing something here/not hip to what i'm looking at but I much prefer the nose that is currently on there? But then I have always been a fan of them there vauxhalls

*prepares to be flamed/educated* lol :)

All good mate, these cars have not been real visible in NZ so not appreciated so much here. For me the more I look at them the more I like them. So keep on looking, it will grow on you!

Cheers

I could be wrong but Im sure Ive seen a drophatch before in Nz?

Either way, very cool car, alway had a soft spot for viva's, still trying to get hold of a magnum I know of..

Cheers.

I recall seeing a Firenza snoot at Pukekohe Racetrack carpark many moons ago, but never seen it since, who knows where it is now.

FYI. There were only ever 204 of these cars produced, and about the same number of snoot hatches, of which about 1/4 have survived. The nosecone I have is off one of those deceased cars.

Keep chasing that Magnum down.

• 2 months later...

It made my week to have a viva in the shop. Such a awesome shaped car with nice curves.

I too, like many others, thought hmmm not sure about that droopsnoot look but now it's done the more I see it the more I appreciate it. Will look awesome once finished with the lights in place.

Now all it needs is a 3 rotor to fill in that bay.......go on Andre...you know it makes sense....

Excellent stuff andre, kept the old front end? Where did you manage to find the front clip?

Cheers, happy with it too. Yeah the guy that did the work made sure to make minimal cuts to bodywork and kept offcuts down to just 2 pieces, which if needed could restore car back to original.

The nosecone I sourced out of the UK via a guy on the Droop Snoot Group, including the bumper, lights, and light buckets. Unfortunately one of the buckets is stuffed from an old accident and poor repair, and the lights were too rusted to use, so I have since bought a second set of (hens teeth) lights which are in better shape. Of course now somebody over there has had a batch of brand new lights manufactured and selling them for NZ1k for set of 4....trying to decide if I can justify that cost right now.

The DSG are re-manufacturing the buckets at a reasonable cost and will be ordering a pair of them.

It made my week to have a viva in the shop. Such a awesome shaped car with nice curves.

I too, like many others, thought hmmm not sure about that droopsnoot look but now it's done the more I see it the more I appreciate it. Will look awesome once finished with the lights in place.

Now all it needs is a 3 rotor to fill in that bay.......go on Andre...you know it makes sense....

Thanks Alex, will get finished quicker once you come over and help paint strip it!

And if I was to use anything but the slant 4 it would be a UZ V8...bloody tempting already.

Hmmm yeah a Lexus would drop in so sweet. Would be hardly any heavier if not even lighter?

something like 168kg (ish), dry, add 35-50 for the gearbox and stuff. Two men can lift the engine easily enough.