Andre's vauxhall magnum into Firenza droopsnoot project

yoeddynz

Shit Andre this Is looking wicked. The photo you sent a while back to my phone never worked as I'm pay as you go.

How many bolts hold that nose cone on?

Droid you get the HB door seals from Rare Spares? Are they a good profile compared to the originals?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it just me or does this look like a baby trans-am

The head designer for Vauxhall back in the day was an american, Wayne Cherry who went on to work for GM USA, so not hard to see his influence in both breeds.

I have actually mocked up some trans am type arch flares for the rear that looked ok and I might do something more with them, depending on comments here! :-)

RIMG0277_zpsa097c9e8.jpg

Shit Andre this Is looking wicked. The photo you sent a while back to my phone never worked as I'm pay as you go.

How many bolts hold that nose cone on?

Droid you get the HB door seals from Rare Spares? Are they a good profile compared to the originals?

I just figured you must of fainted and hit your head..

There's 6 fastenings across the slam panel, 3 down each guard flange, 4 to the brackets underneath. Enough to hold it on at high speed! Or at least when overtaking blue Viva's....

The rubbers are on TM, listed for LC-LJ Torana 2 doors...packaging is Betta Rubber. They are a different profile around the frame I think, but they seem to work ok. I am toying with getting a length of pinch weld trim that has a built in seal via Para Rubber, would guarantee no drafts.

long time reader first time poster :) .its looking good,and on the subject of the transam-esque rear flares,i think you should at least get them painted up to match the car,i think it could pull them off,especially with the nosecone :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ow wow, frothing looking at that!

What did the Lotus sting you? Last time I saw some Vauxhall Twincams show up, they were out of a A grade race car from down here, and he wanted 10k for two - in various states.. (To be fair they were dry sumped, methanol ones..)

Lovely!

Cheers, happy with how it came out.

The engine was a bargain really, but like most things european buying them is the cheap part, repairing or buying bits for them is where it gets expensive! Hopefully I can get this running without doing a rebuild for a while, when that time comes I will be doing the 2.3 crank swap and get some real hp out of it, well around the 200 mark at least.

Sad part is that this car once had a genuine Vauxhall TC unit in it, but was was swiped for an HSR Chevette by previous owner. Apparently the Vauxhall head out performed the Lotus one too. Oh well, the weight saving should balance things out.

This is the Vauxhall unit.

2010_04230039.jpg

• Like 3

Cool! Wicked to see updates. Yeah will for sure help out getting the twink installed. Anything to avoid another boat anchor going in... :-)

Did you find out more about those other two Hbs shane found?

Yet to get hold of the homeowner, will keep trying this week. Might need some help to pull them out too, one is fairly well entrenched within the pines!

Yea, the funny thing with the Vauxhall vs Lotus,  

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall---the-slant-four-engine-story

From memory it all started with Lotus hearing of this new Motor vauxhall had come up with, and it was remarkably similar to one they were developing at the time, and a deal was struck, where Vauxhall supplied blocks for Lotus in exchange for developing motorsport derivatives..

They were using Lotus for the motors for the HSR's, until you weren't allowed 3rd party engines, at which stage Vauxhall took over, and made even more power!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey @nzvohc there's a better way to bring all your pictures back, it'll just take a bit of time. 

If you right click "open link in new tab" it'll bring up your photo in potobucket. Then you can download it, edit your post, upload the images directly to the forum and be done with it. Then you shouldn't have to worry about this issue happening again. 

This car is awesome by the way. I'd forgotten it existed. 

• Like 1

Yay for updates!!!!

Boo for Photobucket destroying yet a nother really good photo packed thread!

Yay for latest Lotus Twink. Please do tell all about the history of this engine- its a good one :-)

Looking good Andre. I bet you breathed a small sigh of relief when you found it only to be surface rust under that battery tray.

11 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Yay for updates!!!!

Boo for Photobucket destroying yet a nother really good photo packed thread!

Yay for latest Lotus Twink. Please do tell all about the history of this engine- its a good one :-)

Looking good Andre. I bet you breathed a small sigh of relief when you found it only to be surface rust under that battery tray.

So many ways to rhyme naughty words with Photobucket to describe them it hardly seems fair...

Definitely good to get that battery tray off with minimal damage. I have seen other cars have far worse to deal with stemming from this area. I ended up taking the window washer bottle bracket off too and will remount that down lower where a bit less visible.