Rear Shock choices AE86

NicT

So ive boned out my car, sorta by accident as the Craftz 6kg drift springs in the rear of my car has made it much lower.

I notice now that the car is a bit bouncy/skatey and want to get a softer valved rear shock. At the moment i am running Hilux front shocks in the back but this is over valved to be in the rear of a 900kg car.

Any suggestions on a short eye/stud shock? I am currently on the lookout for trd adjustable AE86 rears as well if anyone sees some pop up

Shocks are relatively new, maybe 1500km old?

I thought softer valving would allow the spring to work more as a harder setup would make the rear more ridgid causing the rear wheels to leave the ground over bumps making the rear hop about, but the harder spring rate would mean that the spring would deform less under similar loads.

Or am i way off?

Pretty much / sorta / kinda depends.

Most road shocks will only really work on rebound, hopping around will only happen if you have super tight bump or if the shock is overpowered by the spring. Are you sure it isn't hitting the bump stops or bottoming out the shocks?

Hopping round can be either shock or spring but most of the time it's the spring rate.

If you're running a very hard spring you pretty much just have to deal with it as no amount of shock can fix it if there is hardly any travel.

Edit, oops, yeah what Tom said.

Pretty much / sorta / kinda depends.

Most road shocks will only really work on rebound, hopping around will only happen if you have super tight bump or if the shock is overpowered by the spring. Are you sure it isn't hitting the bump stops or bottoming out the shocks?

Not hitting bump stops, prpberly a good 50 - 60mm travel before it contacts them.

It isnt bad to be honest, i just havent driven a car of its nature in a while and my current daily is a luxurious couch that floats over bumps.

Is it sweet when you give it a thrash around corners? If so I'd just leave it.

Simon - heavy springs can be overcome by a good shock. Richies old Torneo rode nicely while being slammed on very hard springs... But that said, 6kg will always feel hard in the back of an AE no matter what. I only run 5's in the race car and it's pretty bloody firm in the rear!

Yeah for sure. But if you drove your race car down Tremaine Ave it would be bumpy as no matter how many shocks you put in it haha

Richies car was great though. Looked like it drive nice from behind.

I took my car for a drive with 10's front and 8's in rear so my idea of a hard spring may be a bit skewed.

May as well of had the wheels welded to the body.

Yeah for sure. But if you drove your race car down Tremaine Ave it would be bumpy as no matter how many shocks you put in it haha

Yeah, agreed. Point was that 6kg must feel pretty rugged in the back of an AE on the street, so it's probably a condition that can't be overcome.

With 6kg in the back a softer shock will likely make it feel even worse.

tried hilux shocks in the starlet at one stage. they were horrible. did similar to what you explained. maybe the combo of the hard springs stiff shocks has done it. they would be way off dampering wise i would think, coming from the front of a hilux. probably have way to much bump dampering to be combine with 6kg spring, in rear of a corolla

6kg drives fine on the road if shocks aren't super stiff. with the damper turned down on my bc's it actually drives fairly nice. 8/6kg

tried hilux shocks in the starlet at one stage. they were horrible. did similar to what you explained. maybe the combo of the hard springs stiff shocks has done it. they would be way off dampering wise i would think, coming from the front of a hilux. probably have way to much bump dampering to be combine with 6kg spring, in rear of a corolla

6kg drives fine on the road if shocks aren't super stiff. with the damper turned down on my bc's it actually drives fairly nice. 8/6kg

My reason for asking was going for a ride in a MX5 with similar spring rates to my AE and much much lower to the ground rode quite nice down the same stretch of road im having issues with.

Yea prolly just some shitty unmatched set up. Try get some adjustable bump/rebound shocks for the rear so you have some tune-abilty. TBH its always gana be hard to horey up some set up and hope it handles nice. You might be able to buy a BC rear shock separate?

I have trd 6kg springs with trd ajd 86 shocks in mine and is pretty stiff and bouncy if on shitty roads,

highways or nice smooth roads is fine whether cruising or when you are trying to drive hard.

Light car, heavy spring, bad roads and shock may matter less.

That old guide I think is still on dori which listed a few, many just used normal 86 one.

Think as Dell'orto mentioned ke70 wagon were another common and I think there was a pugeot and camaro common one too although would think camaro would be sim to hilux as prob weighs in a bit

Used the crown for towing rolla yet ?

Old cresta was mean couch daily cruisers and if a 1j tows sweet could maybe sell ute and get another...

Yea prolly just some shitty unmatched set up. Try get some adjustable bump/rebound shocks for the rear so you have some tune-abilty. TBH its always gana be hard to horey up some set up and hope it handles nice. You might be able to buy a BC rear shock separate?

Wasnt intending to hori something up, was just how parts got upgraded as i went along. Now with the new rear springs i need new rear shocks. Was looking at options.

For now ive been putting up with it and the more i drive the car, the less i care. Handles mean, just a tad skatey over bumpy as hell road.