Cheerio's AE86 of omfghax

Roman

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yep iv thought of that, can you see in one of my pics where the door corner intercepts the guard? I want to cut it there and run it as in the above pick. as thats pretty much where my intrusion bars run. I'll cut it off some time this week and put a pic up and see what you guys reckon, the only thing hindering it is the now mono door hinge. I can make it work but would be the same effort as a gull wing.

Will be a laugh making a door card for half a door...

Just check the MSNZ regs again because it talks about "door opening" for the rollcage design (not allowed to be over halfway up the door opening). I wonder if some power mad scrutineer could ruin your day because of this?

One factory toyota hinge isn't ample mr kk, she aint no holden lol. Needs a reinforced hinge. Yep i checked the regs on the cage/door scenario and designed the cage to comply, not having the side intrusion over half way up the door, its currently under the (with factory door) by 18mm. I do wonder though in by cutting the door would that change the 'half way cage/door' rule in my favour ;)

I think that the rollcage will be well UNDER half way up the door opening as the door opening is moving upwards.

I would guess the rule is made to make escape gaps big enough. As long as the opening is more or the same as a comparable car they shouldn't have a problem.

Edit. Cheerios onto it.

For some reason I thought you were making molds, so you could pop out new fiberglass panels as needed? Or do you plan to do this? Or am I missing something? Wouldnt you want to be able to replace a gaurd easily, rather than have to go through this whole process everytime you have a little rub/incident and damage the gaurds/kit?

Yep thats correct, this is the 'plug' (male mold note the vents in the top of the guard are filled in to make casting a breeze) off this i'll build the female mold which will then come off in 6 pieces for the entire side. Every little defect now is one more snowball you have to worry about latter so it needs a smooth glossy finish. I'll certainly be keeping the molds as im casting the kit in carbon fibre which doesn't have and much impact durability as the old fibre glass. Estimate this side will be 2.5~3kg when finished.

yes a good point you raise there! the Mercedes SLS has an explosive charge in the hinges that detonates and dislodges the door if the car senses a roll over. Check this vid out. Fast forward to 2.15. In this test they drop it on an angle so maximum impact is on the door itself, the charge is isolated for testing purposes. In a real situation its all automatic. The special tool they use to remove the door is just a load sensor so they can gauge how much effort is required to remove the door.

Bugger any kind of electronic solinoid or anything like that. Even with backup power in a sweet crash I wouldn't trust it.

Some Helicopters have a similar issue with forward and up folding doors. They just have a quick release pin system so if you get in the shit you just pull a cord and off they come. I've seen them used a bit because the pilots often remove the doors for flying. Very simple and nice and light. Unfortunately I can't get any decent pics, but you get the idea no doubt.

IMG_0214.jpg