Anglia4's CB650

anglia4

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anglia4

Its not that its too noisy, WOF man just wanted some muffler on there to fit with the way the law is worded. (was just open pipes)

something like "must have an exhaust being a pipe which transmits gasses to atmospheric pressure via a silencer or resonator"

He said its actually not too loud. But I found since I put some restrictor pipes on it actually has a nicer tone so might improve them a bit.

Guest anglia4

Got all the WOF items sorted so I'll take it back on Monday.

For the dead cylinder I have cut the end off the lead and re-fitted it, might help might not.

Found the source of the oil leak, its not several leaks, its just one massive one from my home made tacho drive blanking kit. So have tried making a new gasket to sort that.

Pulled the carbs, they had heaps of gunge in the float bowls from the tank treatment shit. So have cleaned them and all the main jets. Hopefully will help, have got a fuel filter to go on as well.

Looked at lifting the needles to richen it up a little but its a bastard of a job, complete carb tear down, have to split them all to get at the needles. So if I can get the other issues sorted then I will look at doing that to improve the tuning a little.

If its still missfiring on that cylinder tomorrow then I'll buy new leads. Pretty sure its not the coil as the other plug that runs off the same coil is fine. Narrows it down to either the lead (quite likely) or a burnt valve or bad rings etc, but it doesn't seem to blow smoke.

Fingers crossed I can get it running right for nats!

• Like 1

Guest Rookie

I'm pretty sure that the saying "jap bikes don't leak oil" is a myth.....

Turns out I was wrong, I recant my statement. You just have to find the seal that is leaking/ replace all of them.

• Like 1

Guest anglia4

Rode it to my parents place today, bike is running smoother through the normal riding rev range, managed to give it a hounding along the windy road they live on. Feels good bro!

Seems to foul up a little riding around town, going to tune the pilot needle tomorrow after work, hopefully that will get it running better.

Oh and the dead cylinder that kept carboning up the plug is alive again :) not sure if it was the lead or the dirty carbs but its fixed now anyway.

Just tuning to go!

Might need to go up a size in the main jet but I think it will get me to nats so long as I don't thrash it too much.

Guest anglia4

Just rode to work. Brrrr.

Hopped off the bike at work to find the number 4 carb pissing all my fuels out the drain.

Will check the drain screw at smoko time, otherwise It will be float bowl off at work to fix whatever is hindering the float from closing :(

Guest anglia4

It was never going to be easy was it.

Just checked the function of the bowl drain screw and it performs as it should, that means the fuel is coming through the overflow. Therefore it must have a bit of rubbish on the float needle or something.

Well I know how I'm spending my lunch break today anyway!

Guest anglia4

So many red herrings!

Went to ride home from work today and it would only run on 3 cylinders! So I automatically thought that the float that had stuck open, had now stuck closed. Was a slooooow ride home. Hard shoulder down the motorway with the scooters...

Pulled the plug from that cylinder and it was looking as it should, pulled #3 and it was black as again, so checked the spark and had no spark on that cylinder. Put in a new (old) plug and got spark, did have some weird things going on so will pick up another plug or two tomorrow and get some new leads. Hopefully this will solve some of the issues, other than that I will have to start looking at the coils.

Guest anglia4

New leads are installed and bike seems to be running well.

I tried tuning the pilot needles but it wasn't behaving as the workshop manual said it should so I put it in the too hard basket, will work a saturday some time after nats and then pay someone to tune it.

Guest anglia4

I had another crack at tuning the pilot jets as per the manual last night and just couldn't get it to behave.

So I loaded my plug spanner and special screw driver into my back pack and went for a fang.

Stopped after a bit of general 110km/h corner riding, so sweeping bends, on and off the gas riding hard but fair in top gear (how I usually ride - and what its generally like between here and Manawatu).

Pulled 2 plugs and both looked a little lean, gave it half a turn on each pilot. Went for a bit more riding, bike felt a little happier, but was hesitant if I sat just below 100 for too long, pulled the plugs and they were nice and brown. But by the time I got home after riding at 50 they had fowled a bit, so turned them in quater of a turn and put the bike in the shed.

I also found that it runs like shit if I take off the exhaust restricters that I put on for my WOF (sounds like shit too) so I'm going to make some nice ones after nats.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't done anything at all with this since nats haha have had zero money since then so haven't even managed to fix the clutch cable that I broke on the way down to Palmy.

Bike went really well at nats despite having no clutch. There is a photo of me somewhere running down the road with it in my race leathers pushing it to get it moving before I kick it into gear haha.

I really felt like going for a ride the other night so I took it for a strop on my usual loop (actually the first time I have ever done it on this bike). Still no clutch so was a few moments where I had to run down the road coming back into town lol

Crappy cell pic, was getting dark.

null_zps448e9742.jpg

Tidied up my shed and took a photo last night. Must tidy it a little more and replicate this photo better cos I likes it.

null_zpse6238c5b.jpg

My mrs is having to work very hard at the moment to convince me I don't need/can't afford another bike project. I've been getting bored now that this is pretty much finished and have already sketched up what I want my next project to be haha. Trouble is, its Italian and hence expensive.

Need to start working more on my Anglia I think.

• Like 1