Japaneses Diesel cars running on New Zealand Diesel?

curtains

Since I'm a car guy, my boss has asked me to find him some new diesel work vans (Hiaces), but I only really know stuff about petrol engines (cause that's all I play around with) now I keep hearing that Imported diesels from japan doesn't run well on NZ diesel (all from dealers) is this true or whats the story?

Or who knows much about this subject?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NZ diesel is very shit compared to other countries, and a lot of the new high tech diesels have some issues running on it. Sometimes wrecks the fuel pumps / injectors / doesn't like being under 44,000PSI pressure etc.

Solution = '88 Hiace with a turbo 3L

^^ no offense yowzer but that's not really good advice.

NZ diesel is fine. Like all diesel if it is stored in terrible conditions then it is going to absorb moisture and sediment into the fuel. The newer common rail diesel engines don't like moisture and aren't as tolerant/resilient as the older rotary pump diesels. Newer engines are getting to be more complex and precise - the same could be said about the newer petrol engines with direct injection.

Moisture and impurities in the fuel are causing issues the world over - not just in NZ. NZ's diesel has been cleaned up significantly with the introduction of low-sulfur diesels too, bringing it into line with European standards. As Japan doesn't have such high emission standards on diesel engines, Japan is still running a higher sulfur content fuel and therefore the older Japanese diesels did not cope so well with worn out or semi-worn out seals suddenly not being lubricated so well with low-sulfur fuel. Newer common rail models from Japan are fine with low-sulfur fuel.

Nah it was pretty shitty advise.

I read an article awhile ago about BMW (I think) not releasing their latest diesel models in NZ due to the substandard fuel, and the one they did finally release was basically an NZ only version that had an older model engine in it.

From what I've heard Gull sells the best quality diesel. Would like some confirmation on this, but they are the cheapest.

I would love to know more about this Gull diesel as I run modern diesel daily's

have experienced a few bad batches from small owner operated garages in Seaview, only buy diesel from high volume sites now.

That BP ultimate diesel made zilch improvement to the Rover's performance

Nah it was pretty shitty advise.

I read an article awhile ago about BMW (I think) not releasing their latest diesel models in NZ due to the substandard fuel, and the one they did finally release was basically an NZ only version that had an older model engine in it.

From what I've heard Gull sells the best quality diesel. Would like some confirmation on this, but they are the cheapest.

BMW NZ (as do most of the other European makers) have the same diesel engine options as offered in the European and Australian markets - as far as I know the diesel BMWs sold new in NZ don't have the old technology engines.

phil nz diesel IS of sub par quality.

but yeah, the best you can hope for is more regular than normal fuel filter changes, and adding a good sized extra filter/water trap. most common rail engines run tiny filters which dont help when you're trying to push shitty fuel through them.

BMW NZ (as do most of the other European makers) have the same diesel engine options as offered in the European and Australian markets - as far as I know the diesel BMWs sold new in NZ don't have the old technology engines.

Pug use the same engines. The 308 did 13XXkm around Aussie on a tank of diesel, so even with the average diesel quality you can still get good returns.

phil nz diesel IS of sub par quality.

but yeah, the best you can hope for is more regular than normal fuel filter changes, and adding a good sized extra filter/water trap. most common rail engines run tiny filters which dont help when you're trying to push shitty fuel through them.

qft our diesel is cheap nasty shit but may be getting improved soon, uncle up marsden pt

reckons they're about to blow a shitload on upping their processing capabillites.

When i was in hawaii i could not believe some of the ratty piles of shit that blew absolutely no diesel smoke, apparently due to the high ethanol content of their fuel.

Brothers new 5L van is ace too cheers to the fellas that lent advice on his purchase

k. all trucks still run on the same diesel just as well as they do elsewhere in the world . maybe its shit . but i still see truck go over 1mil with no fuel system issues .

these trucks are fleet trucks that are serviced at the proper intervals .

its like saying nz petrol is gay when you lose power in your car but wont change the 200,000k fuel filter

there was an issue when nz bought out low sulphur fuel which didnt keep the seal quite as well 'moisturised' and they started leaking like sieves/ wearing the bushes in the pump .

there is no ethanol in diesel its not oil soluble. and if there is someone need to be hung because ethanoll attracts water

Ethanol will mix with water. But are you sure you aren't confusing Ethanol blend with biodiesel made with other fuels? They grow it with algae. I did a research project on this last year, forgotten everything though...

qft our diesel is cheap nasty shit but may be getting improved soon, uncle up marsden pt

reckons they're about to blow a shitload on upping their processing capabillites.

our local crude is so lush that it's only one small distillation from very lush diesel.

yet the diesel we get is often black, straight from the pumps.

hemi, I agree, servicing is EVERYTHING, however, there's a shitload of newer trucks that've shat pumps and other fuel system parts in the last 5 years due to the quality and/or handling of our diesel.

When i was in hawaii i could not believe some of the ratty piles of shit that blew absolutely no diesel smoke, apparently due to the high ethanol content of their fuel.

When I was in Hawaii, I couldn't beleive that nothing I saw anywhere blew any smoke. Here you can't drive around the block without being gassed by some late 80's-early 90's shitheap. But nothing I saw there emmitted jack shit.

Well i work at toyota, and it is all about the servicing with these new common rails diesels.

ive worked on hundreds of new and older shape hiaces, hiluxs, prados etc.

They will run on our diesel fine, (its the petrol direct injection engines that dont like our shitty petrol)

Most of the ones we have problems with are the ones that dont get serviced. Although you do get the odd one thats filled up at a station with contaminated fuel, or from their own source.

You can run new toyota common rails on biodiesel with 5% ethanol, it will be fine. but a higher percentage will absorb and hold alot more moisture, and the injectors are very precise and nothing in the system likes moisture.

Id recommend buying NZ new diesels, that way you know you have a warranty and then service it regularly, on the dot from new.

The manufacturer will look after you, well, toyota will!