automatic transmission help needed

gto1973

recently our 02 mitsubishi galant station wagon just stoped going foward (done 300k)... like it was in neutral or park just reving no movment in any gear

we were told it was either the pump or the torque converter and to remove the hoses on the gearbox and if they were squirting it was the torque converter they were squirting in the end got a second hand transmission 80k with torque converter weve put that in the car BUT STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!

we made sure the torque converter was rightin properly so i checked the oil hoses on this box and theres no fluid squirting out is this likely to be the problem am i missing something or is the pump fudged? any input much appreciated thanks jesse

Yeah as much as it pains me to say ' just pull old one out and put another unit in'. ..just put anther one in .

generally once one part fails even though they have filter the shit seems to go through the whole transmission and buggers everything

often the splines strip out on the torque converter but I guess you would have checked for that before putting the box in.

may be a silly question - but you did fill the transmission with fluid after putting it in? wreckers often drain them completely, some times it can take over 10L to fill up the trans and torque converter again.

yeah if over-full it will froth up and spew out of the breather. One thing to do would be to unplug the transmission ECU (or even unplugging wiring loom to transmission itself) which would put it into full limp-home/fail-safe mechanical mode. Had an earlier Galant which due to a faulty transmission ECU would not engage reverse gear or it would engage the lock up torque converter immediately in low gears stalling the engine - unplugging the ECU enabled it to select reverse or not stall the engine again. Though that wouldn't explain why the oil pump is not pumping fluid through.. I would perhaps check to make sure the torque converter is indeed engaging on the splines and that the flex plate is attached to the torque converter.

yeah flex plate is in place of the flywheel. Basically the torque converter would be on the splines if it can be pushed right in, to the point where the torque converter rubs on the inside of the bellhousing - the flex plate brings the torque converter back slightly. Was it difficult getting the transmission to get closer to the engine block when doing up the bellhousing bolts?

haha yea i have al he saidthe whole convo was you must have wrecked it an that i had to fix it mechanic is gona look at it tomorrow if he thinks iv dne nothing wrong ill be taking it back. i dont know how well this is gona turn out for me but i thought he was a wan### on the phone