Quinn's 1970 Simca 1501 Station wagon

simcaclub

Uh, yeah discussion. I had to sell all my Simcas in Holland, that was a bit of a bummer. The cars which I had at that time were a 1960 Simca Aronde Oceane (convertible), a 1960 Simca Aronde Artisinale (station wagon, cheapest model at that time) 1975 Simca 1501 station wagon and my daily car was a 1988 Celica Cabriolet (convertible) The Celica was one of the nicest cars I ever have had :(

Pictures of the Celica I made for the Dutch TM >http://www.simca.nl/oldskool/celica/index.html

Pictures of the Simca I made for the Dutch TM >http://www.simcaclub.com/oud/peter/1501/index.html

I drove 4 1501's sedans from 1993 until 2003. Never had any problems. The 1501 station was very popular with the builders in Holland. The spare wheel is hidden under a plate, which is in fact a pick-nick table. The French (Simca is from France) are having the habit to stop on the side of the road when they are traveling to do there lunch. The pick-nick table was quite convenient for this.

The guy were we bought the Station had also a 1501 sedan, 2 Arondes, a Simca 1000 and an eight cylinder Vedette in the shed.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

That 3D model is awesome! What software did you use for it? 

Thanks! I used 3ds Max. I am all self taught, Been modelling since 2011ish. I do it mostly in my spare time with a goal of getting it into Assetto Corsa as a mod. I've actually started about 2 or 3 other simca models which are at various stages of completion but usually I start a new one before I complete the other.

• Like 2

how closely related are these to the Fiat 1500-2300 family?

I know Simca and Fiat had commercial relations at various times and there are several details that look very similar to my wagon, and many that are quite different.

Same era of design i guess?

Great modelling too!

Im also stealing the boot floor to table idea!

• Like 1

how closely related are these to the Fiat 1500-2300 family?

I know Simca and Fiat had commercial relations at various times and there are several details that look very similar to my wagon, and many that are quite different.

Same era of design i guess?

Great modelling too!

Im also stealing the boot floor to table idea!

I LOVE your wagon! Wagons are my thing, it looks like my car's long lost brother!

To be honest, I have no real clue how close they are related to the Fiat counterparts. I know for a fact that Simca was owned by Fiat until the early sixties. But according to Wikipedia (the Italian article), design on the 1501s predecessor (1500) started in 1957, but was actually halted by fiat to not hinder the sales of their 1300/1500 models. I know that in the eighties there was a member of the Dutch club who put a 2 litre Fiat engine into his 1501, and there was also a guy in New Zealand who managed to do it earlier, so I'm thinking that the engines would probably bolt directly onto the transmissions. My dad seems to think so anyway. But in terms of design they look pretty close. I wouldn't be surprised if Simca "borrowed" some of the design from the Fiat.

The boot floor table thing is really awesome and probably the best part of the design. Surprisingly useful too, simply use the boot lid as a chair and you've got yourself an impromptu picnic, without even having to sit on the ground. I reckon the best part is though that mine has never even been opened. It is in perfect condition. All of the interior is. Well was, right up until I scratched the fake leather on the driver's seat with my broken pants.

Anyway, I seriously love your 2300, probably because it is the car that looks the most like mine!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Return the taller perch in so you don't have to concern yourself with rub and then introduce your springs to one of these cheeky fellas...

31CWNE0Y5ML.jpg

Yeah, but isn't cutting the spring illegal? I would do it but I also don't have any money to pay fines. Then again, the law here is more like guidelines than it is like actual rules, and I do have a lot of spares.

OR can you somehow slot the holes 5mm in the spring perch so that it sits further inward?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that? I'll ask my dad when he comes home from work because he's smarter than me.

If the spring perch bolts to the top arm then make it bolt down in a slightly different place.

There's not enough space to do that on either the arm or the perch. I'll probably go with spacers and then either cutting the racing springs or hoping with the original springs that the tire doesn't scrape the inside of the wheel well.

On another note, turns out the guy I bought the car from did have his wheels widened outwards as shown by this picture here:

edomKyo.jpg

Anyone know here I could get something like that done and how much it would cost?

• 1 month later...

Great stuff. Know nothing about these cars but enjoying the thread. We need more wagons with built-in picnic tables...

Thanks! It's one of only 25 sold in New Zealand and as far as I know there are only 2 left in New Zealand so most people don't really know anything about the car. They used to be reasonably common in Europe where you can come across Simcas in most photos from the '60s and '70s. And yes, the picnic table is probably the best part.

• 5 years later...