MZ10 Toyota Soarer restoration

Roman

Heh yeah it's been a while, the car is buried under a mountain of crap in the garage at my Dads place currently... We're just working on clearing it all out so we can get stuck back in this summer.

Always on the lookout for soarer parts though, shout out if anyone's got some Z10 junk lying around!

Or a 1JZGTE VVTI downpipe/cat converter.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just now looking at some pics of an 89 soarer that I wrecked back in early 2000 for the 7mgt and leather interior for my ms75 crown.. being the douche I am I left a lot of goodies on it.. i.e. lsd diff.. Like you say it was full hi tech, spesh for the 80's. Sat nav, full heads up crt, or something, display for said sat nav/audio/climate control/suspension control, auto dimming rear vision.. the doors had these massive ali hinges which blew my mind.. 

• 6 months later...

Where do you live - that pic of the trailer behind the truck is fucking dope, looks perfectly peaceful.

That was when we were leaving from, not where I live unfortunately!

But yes an awesome view from there.

It was about 45 mins drive north of Auckland (Kaukapakapa)

Yeah I dont think we need a 5M for anything, but will see if it's healthy before making any decisions.

Either way the car will stay as is, in one piece for a while yet until it's needed as an organ donor for the other car.

And yeah I shat bricks when I saw it was a 3.7 as well... We'd better treat it nicely, wont be easy to replace haha.

• 4 months later...

Oh just saw this...

We're keeping that spare car together until we're at the point of putting the other car back together.
So no parts up for grabs but I'll keep you in mind if it comes time to get rid of it or whatever.

• 1 month later...

Well we havent done any work on it in a long while, but things are heading in the right direction.

Rather than it being cramped up in a small shed completely full of car parts and stuff stacked on top etc, it's now in a workshop where we've got heaps of space. Awesome!

The other Soarer has it's own garage now too, out of the elements. So hopefully that should keep the interior in a good state. 

Realistically thouuuggghhhh Soarer project is going to take a back seat behind getting tow vehicle version 2.0 sorted.

Dad has had a dual cab truck for towing his boat around, which we use for trackday towing too. However it's been dunked in and out of the ocean a few too many times and ended up with some structural rust thats uneconomical to repair.

So when looking for replacements, wanted a single cab and shorter wheel base. Found out that there's a common type of rubbish truck that an auckland company uses and always wants lots of parts for.

So... bought a rubbish truck!

lb1soihp.bgs.jpg

The intent is to strip the compactor etc off the back and sell it to recoup some costs for fitting the 5th wheel and a regular tow bar etc.

This will be a bit of a project in itself obviously, not quite sure what the plan is for removing the compactor just quite yet... I dont think the 2 tonne engine crane is going to be up to task! haha.

At some point I'll CAD up some plans for building a trailer that fits the Soarer and Carina nicely too.

I'm slowly convincing him to buy a Link for the Soarer as well, for maximum tinkering / graph drawing ability :D

But after my last experience of "she'll be riight maatttteee" driving to Taupo trackday without a trailer and blowing up the clutch... I'll be happy to see a working tow vehicle again haha.

• Like 2

Since I was thinking about making a trailer at some stage, and there's all of the cool hydraulic stuff from the compactor... Hmmm how about a self lowering trailer or ramps or something like that.

But then I thought... Imagine getting to a trackday and you cant drive, because your trailer has broken down hahaha.

Dave - Yeah I'm sure we can arrange!

• 1 year later...