Johns Yamaha V50

johnnyfive

Oook, so I bought this off a friends brother.

1978 V50, 3 speed, 'AUTOLUBE', mental front forks, little bit rough, but with some lovin should suffice for chortling around.

IMG_20120209_173752.jpg

IMG_20120209_173830.jpg

Is currently unregistered, and looks to have been registered as a motorbike in its past sometime, so will try re-reg as a scooter perhaps, will see what I can suss.

IMG_20120209_173948.jpg

Also, what is this shaft with collar on it on LH engine cover, it has two positions it can slide to/be fixed into, but doesn't appear to do anything in either, I was hoping it was going to be for 'high-ratio' or something, but alas, it appears to do nothing.

IMG_20120209_173902.jpg

• Like 2

I'm unsure what I want to do with it, gonna try tinker round a bit and get it running better / going faster than 60, and go from there.

Seems to run really smooth and quiet, but has a slight flat spot (or just runs out of power?) towards top of RPM, and gets stuck at 60. Shocks no longer absorb shocks, otherwise seems ok though.

• 3 weeks later...

Start chopping so you can go from this

quake2.jpg

to this

P6261652.jpg

Chopped bars,

chopped seat,

bobbed,

hard tail,

painted wheels and engine,

new exhaust,

new front tyre.

Has a new expansion chamber that actually works now, a bigger piston and higher compression.

Your hitting 65 standard imagine the posibiltys with some mods.

Mine struggled to 55 now it hits 70 and runs out of gearing.