rotorhoe's Mazda 808/RX3

rotorhoe

Discussion Thread > viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30968

Hey all, thought I'd share with you my little project which has been ongoing for about 3 years now.

I present you all my Mazda 808/RX3 4 door 12A Rotary

6618784205_c00bf12bb9.jpg

6618786541_4b04e22f9d.jpg

It is being completed by myself, my brother (BDA780) and our Dad.

We've done everything ourselves including rust killing, sanding it back for painting and prep, taking everything out and of course putting it back in. Trying to keep it original as possible.

If you have any suggestions or questions feel free :)

It took me a while to find but here is a picture of the car originally.

We had it sitting in a garage for about 4 years I believe for my cousin to race in the states but he found another so finally one day I asked if I could have it if I built it up myself.

Did not think it'd take over 3 years but it'll be worth it!

Before:

6619184065_5cbcfa6a4a.jpg

During painters:

6619184221_d1733380ea.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

sorry about slow update, haven't really done much lately due to other cars gracing/taking over workshop. Added a badge to it, great success!

however, we are going to get the hotwires done so I guess that's an improvement and the drawings of wiring loom are getting placed on walls around work.

so I googled "how to get paint off hotwires" and it sent me to oldschool and acid dipping was suggested so gonna do that and polish em and hand paint em.

and that's the update! don't have many more pics other than these

6913582201_1b373c8380.jpg

6913588661_dc69f38d91.jpg

7325222344_ce1ed4a8b1_z.jpg

Successful long weekend!! Got taught the basics of cutting, stripping and rejoining wires in the wiring loom and wired up front and rear speakers, stereo, alarm amongst other bits and pieces. Also placed indicators and glove box so extremely pumped with progress! Pics are all from Sundays work.

Gonna get wheels polished this week then hand paint them. Have five hotwires but one is really quite messy so looking into buying one or two others in better condition. Feels amazing to get back working on it again.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Filled and bought fuel for myself for the very first time today, for awesome reasons!

Dad and I mixed the fuel up and did other things in preparation then started it up to get spark and man it sounded sweet!!! Then I connected the fuel tank and unfortunately that's as far as it went for today..

7990832945_bf804e4a1f_z.jpg

Immediately flooded the carburetor (ultimately annoying when it's something we haven't done that goes wrong). Found the issue though so Dad's sussing new parts for it this week to do ourselves this time to hopefully give it another go over soon.

Despite a small setback, could not be happier right now

Fucking love this car (and Dad of course)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got wheels back from being polished and they did a sweet job (Metal Polishers, Sunnybrae Road, Glenfield)

Also bought paint and other bits and pieces to start painting them up.

8188983739_89629e3991.jpg

And as well as that, ordered in more carburetor parts as the ones we got to replace weren't right.

Hopefully get it top priority before Rhys' RX7 comes in haha.

• Like 4

Hotwires are all painted, took two half-days and came out better than expected but will see when they're all finally fully dry and on the car. Deciding now whether to paint behind the spokes, probably won't be seen but might make it look better and there are a few paint runs.

Pics of wheelz (during and after)

8208290022_50a6422070.jpg

8208291460_5f8d706e1b.jpg

8208292714_7f1d952a3c.jpg

• Like 2

Rewarded myself from study and went and got this done:

8223225656_4ab22cd799.jpg

Brett at Firestone Browns Bay is such an awesome guy (highly recommended), he was asking whether I had centre caps and I explained I had been looking for them with no luck so far and he went away and came back with one and gave it to me for free. So happy about this!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest rotorhoe

On my birthday I received a unique/awesome gift, a render of a 3D printed gear knob that Karl was gonna make me.

Render:

8598178669_d091da7fee_z.jpg

Yesterday I got given the newly printed Hotwire gear knob itself and it is simply too awesome for words.

8598181625_d34f427b4d_z.jpg

We thought maybe the strength would be compromised but it is completely solid and will look so badass.

The stats are ACD 7/3 R94

Cheers Karl!

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Karl and I got home last weekend and that night Dad wanted me to go down to workshop to pick up some wiring diagrams with him but he mentioned that my car hadn't been touched since I last saw it.

Usually I go and lift up the car cover anyway and as I did I was thinking the engine bay looked tidier but didn't want to offend him by asking so put the cover back on to which he came out of the engine room and laughed at me for not looking hard enough.

With thanks to parents and their awesome friend as a huge surprise I now have windscreens, a tidy engine bay, dash and beginning of interior and we are starting to piece together all missing bits.

9390241518_479610b236_z.jpg

9390242276_982fd68a18_z.jpg

9387467811_e0e179dba7_z.jpg

9387467447_09a614e6c9_z.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...