Toyota 2e Timing marks...

BAR118

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that to as the rotor is sitting at number 3 on the dizzy cap at tdc , it sounds like it’s really waning to go it’s just not firing up... I’m really stumped at this point it’s been quite a hassle having no car the last few days 

how would I go about adjusting the dizzy 180 degrees ?

It does have a plug coming off the carb it is connected , 

i was trying to start it earlier while I had a buddy of mine adjust the dizzy back and forth it was backfiring badly and spitting smoke out the carb and even spat a flame out thec carb at one point but we got it to stop backfiring and smoking but wouldn’t start still 

Was it running before you took it apart? 

If so it can't be something you haven't played with. 

Are you certain the distributor is pointing at 3? Are you sure it's not pointing at #4?

If distributor is pointing at #4, then #1 cylinder is on exhaust stroke. Take off the belt and turn crank 360.

Camshaft, #1 cam lobes should be furthest away from valves, #4 intake should be just closing, exhaust just opening (rocking).

1 3 4 2 firing order, #4 will be on the opposite stroke to #1 cylinder. Same with 3 and 2, but that's not important for timing. 

• Like 1

yes All plugs are on the right way 

yes it was running beforehand but leaked oil like no tomorrow 

the rotor is pointing half way between 3 an 4 at tdc 

does the 10”btdc matter ? Because I didn’t do this and have just been aligning it to the marks and not 10” before top dead centre