Toyota 2e Timing marks...

BAR118

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a paint pen and make your own marks.

Otherwise the crank mark is obvious but the cam one can be confusing. They use the same pulley for 1e/2e with different timing holes but its clearly marked. I use a split pin or similar through the (2e) hole in the cam pulley and it lines up with a hole in the casting. You cannot see this very well and its done by feel. Really should only need to do it this way if the belt has broken or you have the motor apart.

Way easier to create your own marks.

PS in answer to your question

- the timing mark for the crankshaft is a small notch in the back lip of the cambelt drive sprocket and a raised bump in the aluminium timing cover. You'll need to degrease the area (with brakekleen or similar is best) and use a torch to see those marks - should be fairly easy once its clean.

- the timing mark for the camshaft is a hole in the cam pulley (there are 2 holes, one for 1E's and the other for 2E's - but IIRC they are marked as such) This hole should sit around 3 o'clock and if you use a mirror you should be able to see through the hole and see a small dimple in the top lip of the head. You can't see the dimple with line of sight cos the guard is in the way - so you will definitely need to use a mirror.

If you set the engine on TDC before you remove the crankshaft pulley but after you loosen the pulley bolt then you will be 95% there with lining up the marks.

If the marks have been lined up incorrectly in the past I would say it would have a couple bent valves so it is unlikely that the marks are wrong if the car is running on 4.

Wherever the dimple in the head should tell you that - once you know where the dimple is then line up the correct hole with it (the hole should be labelled 2E or 1E IIRC)

Its pretty ruthless and difficult to get the cam timing out by a quarter of a turn TBH..

• 2 years later...

Hello guys,

Ā 

I know it is a little bit old topic but I was wondering if somebody can help me.

I have a Corolla ee80 with 2e engine and the other day that I was trying to change the water pump, I checked the timing belt and reallized that the timing marks don't coinside with the service manual. When the crankshaft is on mark the 2E hole on the cam shaft is a couple of teeth ahead.Ā 

Is it a fault of the mechanic that had replaced the timing belt, or is it normal? Should I reset it to the manufacturers positions or can the set position be correct?

Ā 

Thank you advance

Thank you very much for the info.

Ā 

In that case I will bring the camshaft to the correct position.

Ā 

Could that be the reason that I had to get the distributor almost full retard to get normal idling and no ping?

I double checke it and I aling the notch with the dimple and the cam shaft pulley is off by 3 teeth.

Ā 

I thought that the engine was aging and that why it lost full power, but now I guess it will go back to that great acceleration it used to have...

Ā 

By the way do you find carburator kit's in New Zealand or you cut your own gaskets if necassery? My engine wears the variable venturi carb and I can't find anyone that has some rebuilt kit here in Greece.

• 6 years later...

Hi guys I know this thread is really old but Iā€™m having trouble with my 1990 Toyota starlet 2e carb , Ive just installed a new crank seal and gave the engine a nice clean .and now Iā€™m having trouble starting Ā On the cam gear pulley there are 2 holes one with 2e and one wIth 1e ,and there are also two dimples on the head housing One at 12 o clock and one at about 10 oā€™clock I aligned the 2e mark with the 12 oā€™clock dimple and Ā I aligned the crank to the rise in the crank housing #1 is at tdc on the marks and both exhaust and intake valves are closed on #1 , In this position the distributor rotor points to number 3 spark plug lead is this right ?Ā 

Ā