I5oogt's - '72 Datsun 260C

Snoozin

Discussion - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30732

Following the departure of the red Trump (my oh my we had some fun old chap) the clear and obvious step to take was to fill the space left in my garage.

The obvious solution was to slap another red car in there. Who wouldn't? The particular red car that I've purchased to fill the right hand bay of my shed is none other than the ex-Old Man Southern '72 H230 Datsun 260C/Nissan Cedric if you're JayDeeEmm inclined. 95000 original miles, very solid original condition if not a bit patchy paint wise. Massive bonus of a very clean, original interior - possibly one of the most important features in an old car for me.

Bloody hell, I hear you exclaim, but that car is all the way down in Invercargill! How on earth are you going to get it up here?! The answer - roadtrip! You see, some time ago during a beer fuelled conversation forum member "sheepers" and I made a pact of sorts that yeah, we're going to go for a hoon around the South Island in his glorious 1UZ powered RA28 Celica to visit not often visited folk, drink some beers/cider and generally not go to work. Essentially, everything tied in neatly to pick up a car from the bottom of the earth, and bring it back ever so slightly more towards the centre. Of the earth.

And so begins, the chronicles of El Cedrico.

Anyway - on with some photos I suppose?

Poised for departure with the Celica, outside it's old home in Invercargill.

6498141817_a08a5c60b1_b.jpg

IMG_1619 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6498142211_c72745eacf_b.jpg

IMG_1622 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Stopping next to Lake Wakatipu, to enjoy some breathtaking scenery and take advantage of a photo op

6498142665_89fbec7b46_b.jpg

IMG_1623 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6498143047_2141d04b2f_b.jpg

IMG_1628 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Parked outside a historic building in Arrowtown... I heard the girls inside talking about it when I jumped back in... "that's so awesome... what is it?" "I think it's some kind of Datsun...?" so yeah this is a great start.

6498143495_1e3977aab9_b.jpg

IMG_1637 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Up on the Crown Range Road... awesome climb to some absolutely fantastic panoramas of the surrounding areas.

6498143985_e4196ddaa5_b.jpg

IMG_1656 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Further up the Crown Range Road, those twisties in the distance were the more tame ones...

6498144423_50e47e06bb_b.jpg

IMG_1665 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Me not drinking Speights. Outside the famous Cardrona Hotel! Note crafty camera angle to alleviate the obvious Mexican stance the car was exhibiting throughout the journey due to a boot chock with the stock steel wheels and other parts.

6498144901_ba5bab680f_b.jpg

IMG_1670 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

More scenery... mountains, snow, bridges and rivers. Just out of Fox Glacier Township. Those of you who have been viewing attentively will notice that the hubcaps are missing, and beneath them is a set of 14x7 low offset Bogan Uglies. Reason - one hubcap flung itself off the right rear rim with reckless abandon as I was negotiating a bend alongside Lake Hawea. That hubcap ended up pitching itself off the cliff, and into the lake. Rats.

6498145367_cc2932c54d_b.jpg

IMG_1737 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Just proof that the car actually has a rear, as well as a front. This was shot just out of Hokitika, after an officer of the law kindly stopped me on the roadside and informed me that I was travelling at 103km/h in an 80km/h area. After claiming ignorance of the local area, I was let off the fine. He was still grumpy nonetheless.

6498145801_fd782fa2ca_b.jpg

IMG_1753 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Family shot, in the campground where Alex (yoeddynz) is based in Nelson. The Viva is way, way too cool for school.

6498146251_d32764d00b_b.jpg

IMG_1802 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

And finally... queueing to board the ferry in Picton. At this point, the fuel pump was playing up and the car was dying intermittently. Massive thanks to KK for organising a replacement electric pump when I got to Wellington!

6498146661_d598985067_b.jpg

IMG_1838 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

That's me for now. Car's safely tucked away in the shed, awaiting a good clean ready for the run this coming weekend. Then, we'll get into doing some work on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A month down, and not much has been happening with the car. Thus far, I've binned the cracked original tyres from the steel wheels, and replaced them with a fresh set of 195/70/14's which is basically the same as the original spec 175 SR14's as far as diameter is concerned. Horrendously uncool, but great for retaining the originality. Had these whitewalled just prior to New Years by Dave Hawkins in Mt Wellington, great old joker who's done an equally great job.

6699835531_4534d8b706_b.jpg

IMG_2598 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6699835239_093ded62da_b.jpg

IMG_2632 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6699837137_9630d47e68_z.jpg6699836145_af4fc31891_z.jpg

6699836799_69610ccdce_b.jpg

IMG_2661 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6699836489_e01fe51a46_b.jpg

IMG_2623 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

If you recall the previous update, I lost a hubcap while en route to Fox Glacier via the Haast Pass... well, as fate would have it, during our journey South in the Celica, we happened upon a small outfit called "Hinds Motor Services" operating out of an old motor garage in South Canterbury. This chap had mountains of weird and wonderful old car stuff - the majority being British - but as I was rummaging through a stack of hubcaps, I did notice some that to my (at that stage very vague) memory belonged to an H230 Cedric. However, because at this point I didn't realise I needed them I made sure to make a mental note that they were there, in the case my memory served me correctly.

6700015785_7684f6128d_b.jpg

IMG_1537 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6700016235_2f995efb23_b.jpg

IMG_1543 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Long story short? Well, I called the proprietor of this Aladdin's cave of discarded automotive treasures, who promptly packaged and sent me what were a set of NOS hubcaps to suit none other than an H230 Nissan! How stoked was I.... Lastly, I've added a wooden Nardi Classic steering wheel to the cabin, as the original is Interislander spec and interferes with my lanky frame!

6700059181_fd942cc5f6_b.jpg

IMG_2547 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6699837957_681ced5183_b.jpg

IMG_2546 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6699835849_e7ebf4db26_b.jpg

IMG_2647 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, talk here http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 18&t=30732

• 2 months later...

Have gone from Mexican to Cemi Ced Sled this week... was gonna be all "roll up at Nats with unannounced slam" but I suck at secrets.

552767_3048199406494_1308476848_32906460_1271667440_n.jpg

Not final height, it will be going slightly lower yet. But a crappy pic anyway. Wheels are not a final solution, but I think they're kinda ok you know.

Lower this evening, then I'll have a burn at getting some actual good pics later/tomorrow.

Thanks for looking, talk here http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 18&t=30732

• 2 weeks later...

Update with photos...

Thanks to Simon

6936595446_00ca55205e_b.jpg

And chees-

7082574831_8199201820_b.jpg

Result of a couple of late nights before Oldschool Nats getting the height just right on the old girl, got my springs back from Archers at 4:50pm on Thursday night so was cutting it pretty fine!

For those interested, the front is using a set of HQ Holden shocks, matched to a pair of Dobi springs also intended for an HQ. These are a substantially uprated spring rate, and a substantially lower free height (125mm shorter) than a stock H230 spring, however they are extremely captive and with the modified bump stops (still have 30mm on them) it has around an inch (25mm) of travel, so for the most part rides really well.

Rear is simply a set of 2" solid alloy blocks, extended U-bolts and a 25mm reset on the leaf springs. Shorter shocks originally intended for a Landcruiser keep it all in check.

Next stage of this creation is looming, this will entail some much needed maintenance consisting of rust work (bottoms of guards, and rear edge of bootlid need attention), some minor repairs to the drivers seat vinyl and removal of the head, installation of new head gasket, tensioner, cam chain, waterpump and new valve stem seals.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as there has been some discussion, this old Japanese diecast I acquired a few weeks ago is basically the inspiration behind how I have visualised this car ending up.

7117766041_1b2d6810b5_c.jpg

IMG_4809 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

6971688974_74f28f9ec1_c.jpg

IMG_4818 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Of course, think lower, less tyre, more dish... probably not the siren as I'm definitely not going to drill holes in the roof... but will a 6' whip suffice instead?

• 1 month later...

As some will know, it turned out the the small, relatively innocent looking bubbles of rust that were making an appearance near the base of the front guards/leading edges of the sills (see photo in 2nd post of the hubcap/whitewall for an idea of what they looked like prior to investigation) were in fact representative of a far larger and more aggressive colony of rust, hiding away in the sills having a good old munch on solid metal.

I enlisted the services of a well recommended craftsman metalworker/panelbeater to assist in rectifying this problem - I guess it was only once he'd had a poke around and emarked on the job, that the expense of having a job well-done was apparent. So the story thus far goes as such - the old girl was dropped into the panelshop, panelman has a gander and starts work on the car, several days into it I get a price update, and freak out and suspended progress whilst my already derelict bank account (due to other circumstances) recovers and I can afford to have the job completed.

Today being a beautifully clear, mild mid winter morning, I decided to roll the car from it's cosy little spot in the shed, and attack what little I am able to do on the panels (as per panelbeater instructions) with some modicum of "vim and vigour" associated with the recent mojo I've been experiencing (the KP has seen a share of progress also...).

Pictures speak a multitude of words - so I am told - so below I've taken the opportunity to share some shots of the depressing, expensive, progress hampering mega shitcunt of a thing, rust.

7423582042_e39a61170b_b.jpg

IMG_8362 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7423582562_5cec3425dd_b.jpg

IMG_8359 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Passengers side rust, the brace/bracket which is part of the guard has been rebuilt on this one, and the end of the sill/inner guard is only tacked in place at this point, requiring final fitment.

7423581578_f1668676d6_b.jpg

IMG_8366 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7423581084_7883368abc_b.jpg

IMG_8371 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Drivers side rust. Apparent here, is the state in which the end of the sill on the passengers side was also in, prior to being rebuilt. The brace/bracket on this side is yet to be completed. Overall, the steel on the inner sill on this side is actually better than the passengers, with no holes through the steel or close to it.

7423585628_ea7139f223_b.jpg

IMG_8389 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7423585072_75172605eb_b.jpg

IMG_8393 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

After a clean and removal of all the scaly crap with a range of wirebrushes on the drill. First coat of PA10 applied as per the panelbeaters instructions.

7423586188_4850274544_b.jpg

IMG_8383 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7423586804_1de6619e3f_b.jpg

IMG_8381 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Drivers and passengers patch panels, all steel and handmade. Fit well, and look good, should be very little bog required in the finished product.

7423584210_fed61ec022_b.jpg

IMG_8405 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7423584688_9c4be09835_b.jpg

IMG_8398 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

2nd coat of PA10 lies beneath these panels, which are now mocked up and the car's basically ready to drop back in for completion once my wallet feels up to the task.

Hope to have the car solid again within a month, then the next point of attack will be the bootlid, which is the only other part of the car to have any real rust issues.

I've acquired a set of 4 XA Falcon wheels at long last following a few months of searching for the right ones - you'd think such a task would be simple, given how common these things are comparatively, but alas the lions share of these wheels appears to have gone to FoMoCo heaven as they've been overruled by the might of the 12 slot (or something to that effect anyway...). Also in my possession is a set of mint XA/XB poverty spec hubcaps, these are a small centercap style with a slight pointed shape. Eventually, the plan is to have the 14's taken out to around 8" wide, run a small tyre, polished hubcaps and the wheels in a colour which has been decided upon...

There is another wheel possibility in the pipeline, but not yet confirmed... you can never have too many sets of wheels anyway, right?

Discussion link in my sig if you wish to talk about it :)

• 1 month later...

PICTURELESS MUDDERPHARKIN UPDATE!

I've done a few small jobs on this old thing. Bex's new Hyundai Soulfree required a new CD stereo thing, so out of the kindness of my heart I removed the one from El Cedrico and placed it with extreme care, into the plasticky depths of Korea's finest dashboard.

This of course, left me without a music generating device, and as we all should know this is simply unacceptable. Thankfully, I had a JVC KDR-926 CD unit with MP3, USB, Bluetooth and all sorts of bells and screechers sitting brand new in it's box from a time when I purchased it, because it was cheap. So into the Ced this has gone, it's quite a neat thing being able to stream music from the phone to the unit without unsightly cords and such. In addition, I can also colour match the illumination to the pale green dash lights of the car. Nifty. Shortly I'll add some more serious bits to it, so I can listen to music HEAPS louder than the current pissweak "Radion" 3-way speakers of shitness allow me to.

In better, and more important news, with the assistance of sheepers (ok he did like almost all of it since I'm super inept at metalwork) some of the holes/would be holes have been tidied up and repaired in preparation of finishing the outer sills. This Friday I should be dropping it off at the panelbeater so he can work his magic and seal up the gaping chasms in the sills... then in theory I should be able to have a damn good crack at obtaining a WOF.

I also acquired some Enkei "5 spoke" (apparently this is their actual name) 14x6 +10 alloys for it, which once stripped, polished and painted should look pretty period awesome on the old girl.

Pictures soon perhaps - I just wanted to appear like I'm not totally useless when it comes to progress!

In light of wanting to eventually widen a set of steels for this, I've borrowed a couple of 14x8 -10 offset 12 slots (lolololol) from drftnmaz/Todd... and the result is as follows.

7862245332_d12ea950fc_b.jpg

IMG_3966 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7862245864_89707b7b9b_b.jpg

IMG_3956 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The tyres are a 195/60/14 and fit damn near perfectly, still large enough to keep the car driveable also. The rears are rubbing full time on the guard lips, so I'm thinking a touch less offset (maybe run 0) and I'll be home dry, with a safe fitment that'll mean zero rubbing issues after having the guards rolled.

• 2 weeks later...

Postin' pitchers for the bitchers.

Car's all welded now, the sills are super solid and shouldn't trouble me again for the duration of ownership. They're currently in primer, but will be dropping the car in to our mate Grant at GT Refinishers for a lick of paint (just a touch up, not bothering to paint full panels as it's patchy anyway....)

7935156864_d9cbd70b03_b.jpg

IMG_5997 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7935156166_e6fd640f35_b.jpg

IMG_6002 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7935155144_6b8c9d3d9e_b.jpg

IMG_6007 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Looking haggard as with it's shitty primer patches...

Secondly, I picked up some new wheels several weeks ago, from "frosty" en route back from Palmerston North. Enkei "5 spoke" in a super modest 14x6 +10 offset. The only size they come in... Shades of Astro Supreme/Hustler/Cragar etc, for a bit of a Mooneyes Japan influence. Plan with the wheels is to get dipped, polish the lip up to a mirror finish and spray the rest a bright silver. Have a full complement of centre caps coming by way of our favourite ex-pat Kiwi in Japan, Ewan of Hayatonka fame. May team them up with some half headlight covers or something, for an alternate "look."

7935154176_53e15de1ee_b.jpg

IMG_6015 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

And finally, thanks to Simon and his closing down wrecker discovery post, I contacted the wrecker in question and scored this early spec 240C grille, which is much simpler than the fussy stock item. Some minor alterations will be needed to the grille, to get it to fit but it should be pretty straightforward.

7935152318_442d6b33e8_b.jpg

IMG_6030 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

7935153298_59aa0c01b4_b.jpg

IMG_6027 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, discussion thread below...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enkei wheels partway through restoration, lips all polished to a mirror shine by the fine folk at Aywun Metal Polishers in Henderson - cheap rates, great work and quick turnaround. Win. Should be getting a coat of paint this weekend, by which time they'll be 95% finished with just the centercaps to tidy up to complete.

8184561655_341a507f7a_b.jpg

IMG_3651 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8184561477_9809a27713_b.jpg

IMG_3652 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8184561237_00544c9506_b.jpg

IMG_3654 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

One lip is pitted beyond saving, so sadly up close looks a little haggard... however from a short distance the pitting is imperceptible, so it'll do for the time being.

Initial tyre plans will be the whitewalls as the car sits on now. Future Richy would like to be rolling on a set of some form of raised white letter tyres. Budget wise though, these seem to be retardedly expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You may have been aware, I haven't posted any engine bay shots of this steed as yet... even though I've put some serious hours into cleaning it, as when I took possession of the car it pretty much had the entire road surface of Southland coating the under bonnet area. Well, it's always had a niggly oil leak from between the head and block, which has become worse as I've put more and more km on it (I've done almost 8000km in this thing during my ownership which I think isn't too bad for a weekender!).

On Friday evening, with the help of two certified Datsun fiends, Shannon (shandawg) and Craig (vegie) we embarked upon the mission to remove the head and rectify this problem. As the valve stem seals are also a bit worse for wear, I figured a complete top end recondition was in order. Here's a pic of the engine sans rocker cover, air cleaner and various other things so this post has visual impact:

8526040212_86c0942cc9_b.jpg

IMG_3506 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Some problems were encountered. Not least of which, was the head bolts being secured with some kind of loctitey/shellac spec goo. All bar one came out intact (although not without a fight) but the last one snapped, thankfully leaving almost an inch proud of the block. Fingers crossed I can chase the threads and clean them up appropriately to accept the ARP head studs I have just ordered... (more money... sigh).

The head has been dropped off to the lads at Taylor Automotive for the work, they come well recommended and also provided me with a written quote prior to undertaking any work.

Otherwise, plans include a thorough clean of the radiator, new timing gears, chain, guides and crank seal, new waterpump, some judicious cleaning and polishing of various engine bay parts to dress things up a bit.

Deadline is Leadfoot - this could prove problematic.

Thanks for reading, motivational comments welcome in the discussion thread linked below :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snoozin

Ok guys I'm trying to fix this alright.

Anyway, with the deadline looming, I still haven't had a finished head yet (turns out it needs new valve seats also....) and neither have the new head studs arrived.

But I have made some things a bit nicer to look at. Inlet manifold has been blasted, and coated with some good ol' VHT silver. Carb has had a minor strip and clean, and plated a few things as seen by the splash guard thing that sits beneath the carb.

8556839906_10307f749f_b.jpg

IMG_4738 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8555729569_139141e787_b.jpg

IMG_4739 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8555729903_03234f1039_b.jpg

IMG_4741 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

I've acquired a new timing set, which looks like this... there was a waterpump in the box as well, but that looks boring to be honest.

8556841200_5bcee6684d_b.jpg

IMG_4744 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

And I also bought these off kicker a while ago, they can be a new restoration project in the works I think. 14x7 front and 14x8 rear. All going to plan I'll run a smaller tyre than I currently have on these.

8555730903_946c59c109_b.jpg

IMG_4756 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

• Like 3