power steering into an HQ holden

J2Racing

if you want hq p/s bits try macgors...alot of stockcar guys run them

i had hq stuff in mine...

you can buy brand new GM pumps for them through rare spares and segedins etc, its the p/s box thats the hard bit to get.

again try rare spares... i wouldve thought that commys had rack and pinion?

As Paul has said, Commodores are rack and pinion. The pre-commodore holdens used a steering box setup. The easiest way would be to fit the power steering setup from another HQ-HZ into your car.

Does anyone know of a bolt option for power steering in an HQ holden. Yes I realise factory stuff will bolt in but it is proving hard to find.

Keep trying, you'll find it eventually. It's by far the best option for what you want.

Scroll down to question three:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=430306851

if your gonna piss around with modding something to fit you may be alot better off trying to fit a hilux surf or terrano box,alot easier to get hold of and usually alot less fucked.

falcon boxes blow seals when the get old,hilux boxes arent as old,but if you get one check the pitman arm spline cos if its been in a crash the shaft will have twisted...ive used some of those in a stockcar...they run sweet on the GM pumps too..

• 2 weeks later...

When i converted my hq to power steering i had alot of trouble finding a factory power steer pump etc. So i just bought another complete HQ holden kingswood, and swapped out the power steering with my manual box then sold the car again for the same price.

End result = free power steer.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Sorry for dredging up an old topic. I have an HQ 6cyl that I want to fit power steering to, trouble is I'm not sure how many of the steering components need changed.

I know the following:

Power steering box - have one

Power steering pump - hoping the vb commodore one I have can be used

Pump hoses - will get generic items made or buy second hand

Double pulley - have one

Pump bracket - hoping I can adapt the vb commodore one or make one

Belts - easy found locally

Pitman arm - will need to find

Shaft coupling - will need to find

What else will I need to find and swap out???

Cheers Steve