Brennan's 54 Chevy kustom - Discussion

Brennan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope not Steve's lol.

Im considering buying a 1uz, trying it in this to see how it fits. and if it does not look like a easy fit keep it for the cressida??

Chevys of this era only came out with 6 cylinders tho so the v6 isnt so bad :P

Also since it has no room for mufflers or evan exhaust underneath, Im thinking i will run lake pipes,

and was told that turbos muffle the exhaust note by quite a bit so was thinking twin turbo the v6??

Would be a really simple very low boost setup with no intercooler??

22250500002_large.jpg

+

5608801340_b35ffbaa53_z.jpg

=

draggin_000.jpg

???????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Thanks Kyteler. Yes, That was what started the thought process.

I will be taking a bit longer than 3 months, and spending a bit more on it.

I am also being a lot more careful about how much i cut out.

The biggest worries i have from his, is the diff/subframe needing to move back 2 or so inches.

And the track width being soo wide.

The Renault Espace on the ls400 floorplan helped convince me to give it a go too

http://build-threads.com/build-threads/renault-espace-lexus-ls400/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Lack of steel in sills is likely because the roof is/was structural. 

Is this going to be on the road here @cletus is this possible?

I guess i was expecting a steel tube, a bit like the side extrusion bars in the doors.

There should be more than enough strength in the chevy body, to make up for what i have removed.

Will be adding RHS in too, as weight will not be a worry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Lack of steel in sills is likely because the roof is/was structural. 

Is this going to be on the road here @cletus is this possible?

Is doable, I started a job for someone doing the same sort of thing with a mercedes donor and studebaker body, we did a torsional twist test on the donor before he started cutting, the idea was to have no more deflection than the donor started with  

The only concern is when you use a body that was designed to have a full chassis, as a monocoque, then its probably not strong enough,  as the body was not intended to be as structural as the lexus body was  

But it's not difficult to add some strength as you are building it  

• Like 6

21 hours ago, oftensideways said:

looking good man.  I hope you keep all that body damage as is!

That had not crossed my mind, i have got a couple of replacement panels, and looking at getting a couple more if the us dollar ever improves.

It will be left in oxide red primer for quite some time. I expect it to be fairly rough and mongrel in appearance.

Somewhat along the lines of my brothers pickup, but rougher.

While still keeping it looking like you would expect a slammed kustom 54 chevy to look like. And impossible to tell its on a lexus from the outside.

Still on the fence about two dooring it too. Would make it so much stiffer, welding up the rear doors. But i would need to find some soarer/sc400 doors to allow access to the back seat.

• Like 2

do you mean soarer seats to allow access?

should be really easy to get your hands on, plus they are pretty comfy seats, but they may not suit the cars style? mk4 supra seats could be an option too. the rear seats in a mk4 are black leather too and awesome deep buckets. 

9 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

do you mean soarer seats to allow access?

should be really easy to get your hands on, plus they are pretty comfy seats, but they may not suit the cars style? mk4 supra seats could be an option too. the rear seats in a mk4 are black leather too and awesome deep buckets. 

Yup, Would be uzz30 soarer seats of similar age to the lexus. 

Yup, mk4 might be an option, but the back seat should be great in the lexus, and i would prefer the heavier , electric, luxury lexus/soarer front seats.

Have just uploaded some concept photoshops to show what i expect it to look like.

• Like 1