TIG Welders. What are you using and where to buy Argon?

andy

Up until a year ago I have had access to a TIG and gas through work but a change of jobs has put an end to that. Im looking to purchase a TIG in the near future. Where abouts do guys using TIG at home get your Argon? Are you using owner bottles or renting? Does renting work out cost effective when using the welder for project work ie every weekend?

Also does anyone have experience with either of these units?

http://www.bocworldofwelding.com.au/wel ... c-185.html

http://www.esseti.co.nz/xatig180p-inver ... -p-93.html

Ive used older more basic models by both brands in the past and both seemed alright. These are around the $1200 mark. There are also AC/DC Jasic machines on TM for just under a grand. Anyone got one?

Cheers.

Andy.

I've got one of the cheap trademe tigs. It is the older model of this http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 567624.htm

Only problems I have with it is the HF sometimes refuses to arc at anything further then a mm or less away from the metal. The argon hose was junk bin material. The pre flow and after can't be backed right off. The manual is in chinglish.

All in all I still think it is a good product for the money.

The price for the end of year stock last year was $900.

You can take any good condition bottle, including a Boc i think, to supergas in manukau, they send them to hams and get them filled and sent back.

You might need to ring and check on this, as i heard BOC was getting grumpy about peeps doing this as there are some owner bottles of theirs out there and they dont like supergas filling them as they want them back so they can rent them to ya. I used to have a BOC bottle for argon, was way cheaper to fill, but $30 a month rental.

i have used older model xa tig and it was good orange in colour. my mate has the tall version of the welder above and i used it to weld up his stockcar manifold worked fine i have never used a smootharc welder before. the xa had a better dutycycle than my kempi.i have an xa mig at home and if i had the money would be at tradezone buying 1 of there tigs lol i have boc gas only cos its from my old place of work.

You can take any good condition bottle, including a Boc i think, to supergas in manukau, they send them to hams and get them filled and sent back.

You might need to ring and check on this, as i heard BOC was getting grumpy about peeps doing this as there are some owner bottles of theirs out there and they dont like supergas filling them as they want them back so they can rent them to ya. I used to have a BOC bottle for argon, was way cheaper to fill, but $30 a month rental.

Any idea on where in hams they send them?

You have to be careful though if you plan on using a fire extinguisher as a gas bottle, I have just been refused a fill by supagas because it is painted red not grey? or something, it would have been cheap though about $80 for 5 m3 of argoshield, I just took the bottle into the local tradezone store and they send it away to supagas. I got the people that check the extinguishers at work to fill it with co2 so not really a problem. This is for mig though, but just sharing my supagas experience.

I own my CO2 cylinder and reckon it's the cheaper way to do it. Not sure what an Argon cylinder is worth though. I've had it 2 years and paid no rental, makes sense to me. CO2 cylinders seem to be oodles cheaper than argon ones though on trademe. Can't see anything 2nd hand and new is spendy as (argon). I'd give the likes of supergas a call and see what they can source cylinder wise.

Just had mine filled this week and asked about pricing. They are around the $500 mark filled with CO2 for 6.8kg. Don't get them in often though. They said the only gases they can't put in my cylinder are oxygen and LPG. Gas change would require fitting of a new valve though. So PERHAPS you could get a CO2 cylinder and get the valve changed to suit argon. Worth asking anyway.

I used to have a BOC bottle for argon, was way cheaper to fill, but $30 a month rental.

How big was your bottle? I have 3 'D' size bottles(MIG and oxy) rented from BOC in Petone. It's about $15 each per month. It does add up if you are not using it often and you have more than one bottle.

Cost me $90 to fill up my Argoshield a month ago :shock:

As far as I know, you have no choice in Wellington area, you have to rent.

Dropped into Air Liquide in Penrose today. They gave me a list of their distributors around Auckland. Air Liquide themselves, only deal with accounts using more than 5 bottles. Small users use the following-

East Tamaki. Welding Technology 09 274 1246

North Shore. Wairau Engineering Supplies 09 478 4520

Manukau. Steel South Auckland 09 263 5806

Papakura. Tool and Engineering Warehouse 09 296 2227

Penrose. Weldwell 09 579 2729

Pukekohe. The Tractor Centre 09238 7179

They have 2, 4.5 and 10 cube bottles.

Hire for 3 months on the 2cube is $50 and $70 on the others. 12 months $125 on the 2 and $160 and $170 on the others.

Argon gas fills are $86, $150 and $230 and are available ex-stock.

its a pain in the bum waiting for fills.

i sent my oxy/acy to supergas 13 days ago, its a 14 day turn around, sure could have used it today!

but they are easy to deal with, make sure you speak to someone in advance there who knows whats up

if your dealing with boc cylinders, (while i was at the counter with the guy there saying "yes" and accepting them for filling, i got an email from a rep saying "no they cant".)

imagine its a week for argon/argosheild, which is usually about 6 days too late.