DIRTY6's 1978 C331 Datsun Gloria

CUL8R

Guest D1RTY6

The L26 in the prvious post wsa no good and after much frustration

i bit the bullet and found a new engine.. It just happens to be surrounded by a car

img201304101236391.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brought this H330 260 Brougham off John (broke) I'm sure a few of you have seen it before.

Plan is to use the L26 out of it for the Gloria.

I will keep the brougham front as they are difficult to find and put the rest with my two spare engines on trade me for a $1 reserve. Keep an eye out!

With that said i'm am quietly confident that the Gloria will be back together hitting the roads this weekend.

Discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=31099

Guest D1RTY6

What a weekend!!

Pretty much just finished up! where to start.

Cracked into the engine transfer on Saturday morning nice and early.

89340210152403915592837.jpg

Managed to pull the old L26 out pretty fast and unbolted the gear box and chucked the engine to the side (confirmed it was seized)

Unbolted the engine and autobox from the white car (rusted together bolts caused me a lot of frustration) and bolted the flywheel, clutch and manual gearbox back up to its new home on the New L26! :) had alot of trouble unbolting the filler bung on the gearbox ended up giveing up and bolted the engine and gearbox into the Gloria!

90205710152403914907837.jpg

So that pretty much ended day 1

next morning pretty much bolted up all the bolt on parts alternator power steering etc finally had everything on so thought i would give it a we start see if it would kick into fire, but nothing after a quick look around we noticed the fuel pump wasn't working! after a few texts from Brock ended up rewiring it and Boom engine runs!! big smile on my face

finished off the plumbing bolted everything and it runs pretty good! stoked

Gearbox was the major frustration of the day, couldn't get the filler bung of no mater what we tried, ended up some will probably laugh at this attaching the engine crane to the tow bar jacking it up ans high as we could so the gear box was on an angle and very VERY slowly poured the 1.8 litres of gearbox oil down where the driveshaft goes! Took a long time! :lol:

90415010152403914757837.jpg

Jacked the car back down double checked the important parts and for the first time in a year the car drove under its own power! was a extremely good feeling!

89384410152403915792837.jpg

have a few little things to adjust before its road legal

We video!

Nathan

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Been a while since i have posted here, So ill give a breif update of the last few months 

• Got this running 
  • Daily driver got stolen 
  • Needed car to get to work so took Gloria for WoF, failed on stupid stuff (exhaust been classed as lowest point, a couple of minor dents)
  • Took it for recheck at different place, only failed on a few minor bulbs etc, 
  • Got a WOF
  • Proceeded to be stoked that it had a WoF
  • Alot of fucking around with the fuel system as it was causing problems

and that about brings us to last weekend were i fixed the fuels issues! still needs a tune but its running alot better! 

So i have registered for Old School Nats in March, need to make sure the old girl is up for the trip! would be nice to have her sitting on some new rims before then but that will depend on how much i can save of the xmas break 

8fw1.jpg

Discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/31099-dirty6s-1978-c331-datsun-gloria/page-4

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

So haven't really updated in a while sorry guys 

Got it a new WOF the other day 

Also have sourced another bonnet from RBlover (Ivan on NZDatsun) he kindly gave me to front guards aswell, they arent in that great condition but panel beater might be able to use parts of them 

Also picked up these the other day, they are 14x6 +11 Long Champ  3 piece welded rims (unfortunately they aren't genuine but oh well)

sdilahym.5zt.jpg

snc5hvs3.1vi.jpg

plan is to get Pine Engineering or Elite to make some new outer lips to make them into 14x7.5 (front) and 14x8.5 (rear) and hopefully they end up looking like this :):)

0ttszzv3.ucn.jpg

Discuss 
//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=31099#p722313

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much has been happening with this unfortunately 

Still sitting on the fence on weather to run 14s or 15s and have been putting cash aside for a panel beater 

Smashed the chin spoiler to pieces on our chch roads :( dont think ill bother with another one till i get a proper one from japan 

u55x3zg4.1wd.jpg

So here it sits...will get some more attention once i sell the SA22
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys, 

Not much has really been happening with this lately got it a fresh WOF the other day and i brought an L28 a while back that im slowly (read extremely slowly) building up, in the mean time i am having cooling issues (again) and im at a loss 

The problem: 

The car sits at perfect temp at idle/50km/h (about 1/4 on the gauge) 
Cruising round at 70-80km/h and it gets to just over 1/2 on the gauge 

100km/h its sitting over 3/4 (very close to the H but it has never gone passed that mark) 

The temp gauge changes very fast i.e stop at at intersection after doing 100km the gauge drops from over 3/4 to below 1/4 in 10 seconds (i timed it) and vice versa when you take of again back up to 100km it heats up to over 3/4 in about 10 seconds. 

Current set up

New alloy radiator (replaced last week to try fix issue)

New temperature sensor 

Solid engine driven fan

No thermostat (Put one in but it overheated within 100m of driving it) 

by passed the heater core as i thought there might have been a blockage.

i'm at a loss, i have in the back of my mind that it has to be the head gasket but its odd that it doesn't constantly overheat/no milky oil/loss of power? 

Tell me its something simple here

Nathan