Truenotch's-Old-Man's MX5 - MX5RacingNZ

Truenotch

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

There are at least 20 cars built now (Craig has done 20+ cages) and the guys are deciding what they want to do for summer. We're going to try and get a grid of 20+ MX5's to the Taupo IRC round in early January. 

There are regs here: 

http://www.motorsportmanawatu.org.nz/events/mx5-spec-racing-nz

Wanna build one? 

• 3 weeks later...

There are at least 20 cars built now (Craig has done 20+ cages) and the guys are deciding what they want to do for summer. We're going to try and get a grid of 20+ MX5's to the Taupo IRC round in early January. 

There are regs here: 

http://www.motorsportmanawatu.org.nz/events/mx5-spec-racing-nz

Wanna build one? 

If you know, what would it cost to build a competitive car and then campaign it for a season?

A fresh car costs $8500 from Craig including new tyres and brakes, but you can build them for as little as $6k.

Last Season I spent $5k on everything including entry, fuel, accommodation, transport, tyres, brake pads etc (needed a new set of tyres mid season because dad leases it out quite often).

Basic breakdown:

- car $6000-$8500

- entry $280 per round ($1680 total)

- brake pads $150-$300 *will need at least one replacement

- tyres $1050 (won't need to buy any of you start with fresh ones)

A fresh car costs $8500 from Craig including new tyres and brakes, but you can build them for as little as $6k.

Last Season I spent $5k on everything including entry, fuel, accommodation, transport, tyres, brake pads etc (needed a new set of tyres mid season because dad leases it out quite often).

Basic breakdown:

- car $6000-$8500

- entry $280 per round ($1680 total)

- brake pads $150-$300 *will need at least one replacement

- tyres $1050 (won't need to buy any of you start with fresh ones)

Hmmm, interesting.

You would have already had a tow vehicle and transporter I'm assuming?

Seems pretty damn cheap for an entire season.

Yeah man, dad's trailer and his LS400 or my ute to tow it. It's the cheapest form of racing I've seen from a running costs point of view... especially since none have had serious engine issues!

Brent - the series is still on the back of pro7 this year and will always run with IRC in summer. It's true that most come from the manawatu/Wellington/Hawkes Bay/wanganui area, but that's just a sign of where the heads of the class are based. Apparently there are a couple coming together in Hamilton (excluding the ones in bits at wintec), but we just need to keep plugging away to grow the class.

We run a sub-class for the MX5s within the SF cup at manfeild in winter, but you have to do the IRC rounds to win the MX5 cup in summer.

20 cars built so far! With more on the horizon.

• Like 1