Truenotch's-Old-Man's MX5 - MX5RacingNZ

Truenotch

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good weekends racing , there's a reasonable field there to drive through.

Do they always run the pro7plus among the mx's (pro7 ?)

Whats the rev limit on the mx5's seems to peel through the revs no problem.

And cheers again for dropping my guards off.

We run within the RX7 grid at the moment. It gives us a home in summer and helps them to fill their grids (series 1's were lacking this round). It means there's always action around the track too.

The MX's top out at almost 8000rpm and get there quite easily. They're only 80kw at the wheels though, so you're not going anywhere in a hurry... The key is to not slow down for corners.

Is Mike Dunn from Envirosafe?

Nah, he's a baker who used to have a green UCOL starlet and is big on Canoe polo.

Brent - don't regret it, you're going to end up with an awesome car. Ours are fun, cheap, easy to build and cheap to run, but the RX7 is still a cooler car :P .

• 4 weeks later...

Dad's also part way through a second car - $4700 takes it in it's current state with a homologated cage. All it needs is a seat, belts, wheels/tyres and some brake pads to get started. Currently on cut Honda springs and standard shocks, but we can work something out for a set of coilovers.

484389_532539260108281_929886526_n.jpg

224066_532539266774947_1737025878_n.jpg

Managed to extend my lead at Round two of the championship at Manfeild with two wins and a second. Not too bad!

We had rain again... In fact, the races were exactly the same as at Taupo - Dry race one, damp race two and a TORRENTIAL race three. We were unable to see through the mist at various points on the track (such as the back straight) and I was using land-marks that could be seen out the side window for braking and turn-in points.

403084_559226694090836_1945253339_n.jpg

228370_559227384090767_419398838_n.jpg

429391_559227387424100_1754113386_n.jpg

I've changed the seat and the rear springs since last time. I got a deal on an Racetech Saker seat (thanks to Vivaspeed for helping to acquire) which is more leant back and allows my head to sit a lot lower. My shoulder is now below the door line!

It took a wee bit of getting used to, but it feels normal now and is much more comfortable than the old seat (and safer...).

Here's the video from race 1 - having a great battle with a S1 RX7 that had gear selection issues: