Truenotch's-Old-Man's MX5 - MX5RacingNZ

Truenotch

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So keen for lease racing.

If enough people were keen would you guys consider taking the cars to a trackday or similar event for practice prior to the main event? Seems a bit daunting a prospect turning up to your first race event, stepping into a car you've never driven before and going out on the track with other people in a competitive event.

Just had a thought that we may be able to get all of them to Manfeild for OS Nats 2013. Would chuck old tyres and brakes on them to keep the costs down and everyone who wants a fang can chip in.

Sound like a goer? Provided there's no clash between Nats and IRC racing.

**EDIT: Summer series finishes over easter weekend - April 1st is the Monday, so it'll work out well.

Hah, only as bad as any other track. It used to have a reputation for killing WRX's and Evo's, but I'd say Taupo and Hampton have more of an engine-killing reputation than Manfeild. I'd never killed an engine until I ran my MR2 half a litre low on oil - RHS sump + LH corners + low oil = run bearings - but that will happen anywhere.

And who said the corners are flat? You'll have to come for a walk around it one day. We have one flat corner and the rest are fairly heavily banked.

Arrive and drive packages are $500 a round - just sort out your entry and license, we do the rest. We can also do sprint meeting for $300 that you don't need a license for. Either way, it often works out better than taking your own car.

who pays for accident damage?

• 4 weeks later...

Shit's growing - locally at least. Cheers to Stew Wood for the photo.

548402_264979423607390_482492862_n.jpg

Managed to win the MX5 class in all three races and set a new "in spec" personal best time (and possibly record?) of 1:25.5 - nearly half a second quicker than the next MX on the day.

Threw the old tyres on for the half hour "all in" race at the end of the day and improved that to 1:24.9 . The pressures must have been low because it took 4-5 laps for the tyres to come on, and once they did the times dropped. Stoked to break down another barrier into 24's.

I was surprised with the 1:24 to be honest. Was using the old R881's that are way past their used by date and I hadn't checked the pressures in those tyres since OS nats... Obviously got something right! (low start pressures = tyres "coming on" later = win for a longer race).

I think the key to that time was getting a good tow behind an AE86 for a few laps. You could actually feel the pull and hear the difference in the tone of the engine.