Ned's 10cyl 310cc 2 smoke

Ned

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you need to turn the cylinder?

for example. a 2 stroke motorcross bike just needs a bump start backwards to run in reverse.

Having pulled many 2 smokes apart i dont see a reason to turn the cyl.

Just curious btw

and Ned, circle or two banks of 5, two motors on common sprocket one running backwards ftw.

Sometimes the piston has an offset gudgeon pin so during the power stroke it is pushing more uniformly down on the conrod and reducing lateral forces on the piston.

If you run in reverse, the piston will get mashed into the cylinder wall a lot harder, creating more friction / heat / wear / less power.

Rotating piston is generally a good idea if you want the engine to run backwards.

Or something like that anyway.

Motors clean, thanks John!

IMG_20110929_212527.jpg

Took me 2 hours to blow all the remaining water out of them though but gave me the opportunity to inspect the insides of all the motors.

CUTE!

IMG_20110929_195208.jpg

I took the primer pump mounting off while i was at it to be able to mount the motors closer together :P

IMG_20110929_195230.jpgIMG_20110929_195404.jpg

Cleaned the plugs too, as this one looked POOS! and this was after an initial brush with kero too :/

IMG_20110929_205940.jpg

Took 5 of the cabs apart a few days ago and soaked them in kero as well. Put them back together tonight too. Was actually a lot of fun puzzling them back into 1 piece :) lets hope they still work/work better.

Just some of the main bits

IMG_20110929_195201.jpg

and 5 nicely reassembled carbs :D

IMG_20110929_224809.jpg

p.s. are these image sizes ok for everyone? as i can make them any size by editing the link (Picasa is sweeeet)

like so (pic from bike summit)

IMG_20110820_132113.jpg

IMG_20110820_132113.jpg

IMG_20110820_132113.jpg

IMG_20110820_132113.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you lot are enjoying it so far :)

Another small update;

Will be trying to get them all running this weekend so to not give myself a dead arm, i decided to make up an electric start. Went out and bought a nice freewheel BMX rear sprocket to use the sprag clutchyness of it, but turns out starter motors already have one... a proper one and not the lame clicky one thats in a BMX sprocket. So got a 2J starter motor from Ryan (cheers buddy!) "Ned likes this" and machined up a sleeve to go over the started motor gear and over a 1/2" drive extension. This was to be welded onto both ends but due to the level of intoxication, the holes weren't quite the right side and there is a little play in them. Not enough to piss me off too much, but enough to be annoying to get straight. Plus can't get the welder into the starter motor side as the housing is in the way so will grub screw them into place tomorrow and hope that works.

Some pics of course;

IMG_20110930_200748.jpgIMG_20110930_205708.jpg

IMG_20110930_205702.jpgIMG_20110930_205719.jpg

And i drew up how i want to mount the motors. (click to enlarge)

6 motors on one side and 4 on the other. That is to make it easy to run the chain and give me some room to permanently mount a starter motor on it :) Rough size is 600x400 without the final drive gear mounted to it (centrifugal + CVT?) so not too large really. Will likely mount the motors closer together but want to see how large the sprockts are and how well the chain runs between them at different spacings etc.

Motor%252520Layout%252520Bike.png

• Like 1

Got the electric start working just fine

as_E1gIOUxQ

Only got 5 motors going so far, but thats 5/5 motors i've tried so thats fine. Still need to reassemble the carbs from the other 6.

Spent $175.49 on sprockets :( but the guy who i dealt with was awesome to deal with and extremely helpful! Craig from Supply Services.

IMG_20111007_121224.jpg

So will hopefully get to machine out the sprockets so they fit on the shafts tonight and start designing the plate that holds the motors :D

Also picked up a 2 speed scooter box but the centrifugal clutch is missing so will have to hunt down another one. Not sure if i can actually mount the 2 speed box anywhere, but i'll sure try!