How to Wire up a 1UZ engine (VVTI and non-VVTI)

NaN

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the O2 sensors, OXR1 and OXL1 where you piggy back the wiring for OXR2 and OXL2 to clear major code......could you maybe use an inline resistor so that the values are different to clear the minor code?

Or maybe connect OXR1 to OXL2 and vice versa so that the ECU see's 2 different value's to clear the minor code?

Or is that a bad idea if the L2/R2 value goes higher than L1/R1?

Hi Nigel , I've been sorting the wiring on my motor , have marked up the wires with grafoplast numbering ( great kit care of work) just read your post above I might keep it in mind and see if there's a difference later on . Am waiting for my sump to be welded then will get the motor to fire up soon. Took the dash off the Pajero which really didn't help much re getting it to work off the Lexus , am thinking I may just have a separate system of warning lights and gauges , I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Am thinking my next project will be a Capri , just seem to offer the classic look and ability to take the 1UZ

• 2 weeks later...

Have had fun turning over the motor tonight , my relay box works well. Still to get fuel pump ,but not far away now . I used the diagnostic method you've outlined and think by the count of the engine light it has two fault codes 31 and 56 . 31 looking like vacuum sensor and the 56 is the hydro fan so I'm pretty happy . I'm going to prime the oil pump tomorrow and play some more , your thread has been a godsend Nigel , thanks again. I think I'm counting the flash of the light correctly cos I assume it can't be 3 , 1 , 5, then 6

Cleared the 31 fault ........bloody had the sensor feed on the wrong pin so afm had no power haha , also have oil pressure ,sussed out just had to take the filter off ,hold my thumb over the centre hole and crank then , out comes the oil. All I have now is the 56 fault that apparently is the hydro fan . I can't find where it connects to the ECU , it's coming down to my old adage ...there's always one!!!

I'm champing at the bit to get a fuel pump now ........

I'm thinking bout the 56 fault . As there is only the 56 and not the left and right O2 faults. Do you reckon then it must be the fan not connected , as opposed to something else , have you tried shorting the pin 1 to earth to clear it . I suppose I should trace the fan solenoid wires , but I can bet they just go to the dash . I wonder also if there are other wiring diagrams out there that mention the fan , you would think so as it seems to be a common item on these engines

I might trace them and determine what pins they go to , I have a theory that the hydraulic fan wiring is some sort of pressure switch , no pressure no fan then code 56 tells you the fan is disconnected. Mind you if the motor goes ok who cares! Had another sale on trademe so will have funds to get my fuel pump , motor running on YouTube soon

I'll check out the "solenoid" it looked connected the other day , if it is a solenoid I suppose it gets told to energise by the ECU and allows the fan to turn when at the correct temp. My intention is to use the Pajero electric blower fan and maybe two sucker ones. Pajeros have shit loads of fans already so another two wont hurt!

I signed up to say thanks for a great write up, I used this info to wire a 95 1UZFE with CE70 W56 box in my 1985 Daihatsu Charmant ( basically a ke70)

One thing id like to add was after wiring it I got fault codes for the o2 sensors and afm and it ran very badly using a lot of fuel, after a lot of head scratching I discovered it was not getting switched live at the airflow meter, I think when I chopped off the automatic transmission plug at the back of the left cyl head before installing the engine I might have cut the power feed to those sensors as it was the only mod i made to the engine harness. The sub o2 sensor trick works great too!

Thanks again and here are some pictures of the V8 Charmant from Ireland

normal_Photo0589.jpgnormal_Photo0534%7E0.jpg

Have played with the solenoid (definitely a solenoid ) I put 12 volts on it and it opens or closes a valve that allows the oil to flow. Am thinking that in this model there is suppose to be a reservoir hence the 56 fault code but not knowing what pins are meant for it , I can only guess. Fuel pump could be there tonite yay .

Got the motor running tonight will put up a vid tomorrow , the code 31 came back , little bit worried I may have had the battery on the wrong way ! Took awhile to start then I traced the problem to no igniters due to me not wiring the injectors and igniters to separate relays as your how to says to I need to learn to listen to the master .........thanks heaps again Nigel for a great thread