Mrs shavenYak's 1985 Mitsubishi L200

shavenYak

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah you can remove them entirely. If there's no balance shaft off the back of the oil pump then that's half the job done already. You want to put a new balance shaft bearing back into the place of the one which came out, but rotate it 90deg or so to block off the oil gallery to the bearing otherwise it will have low oil pressure.

This is for a twin cam VR-4 engine but it's all the same in regards to deleting balance shafts - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

Right, so seems the oil pump side shaft has been ground down to a stub, and has had a journal bearing from something else installed (there's no oil hole)

DSCF1160Large.jpg

The other side, however, has a shaft, but is missing the bearing. I don't think the balance shaft would do a very good job of balancing with that much play in it.

DSCF1161Large.jpg

So dunno might go ahead and attempt to eliminate it, or maybe just get a replacement bearing. Either way it needs to come out first, which will be my next task. Printing out the workshop manual parts I need.

holy crap just totally confused myself trying to collate/print both sides of the pages. pwned by printer logic

I would just remove the belt driven balance shaft entirely. Also I realised that the oil pump side doesn't need the bearing pulled out and turned as there is no oil gallery in the block, the shaft is hollow and gets its oil feed from the oil pump itself. Make sure the stump has been welded in the middle to close up the hole.

Pull off a couple of the big end and mains caps and check the condition of the crank and the bearings.

Think this was crank pulley end

DSCF1163Large.jpg

Think this was the next one along:

DSCF1166Large.jpg

Piston #1

DSCF1164Large.jpg

Here's the balance shaft - doesn't look too bad considering it would have been flapping around without the bearing.

DSCF1169Large.jpg

Haven't checked bearings before, so not sure how good is a pass? Pretty smooth overall, just a bit worn in the middles?

It will say on the back of the bearing shell if they are oversize - it will say something like 010 or 020 etc (thats thou oversize)

But it still may pay to wait in case the journals are worn and need a regrind (I doubt that would be the case unless one of the bearings has picked up)

edit - like this - it may be in the middle of the shell or at the either end - depends on manufacturer

bearing_20100903_0001.JPG

from memory you want the finest range plastigauge, I think it comes in the green (or was it red?) packet.

I had an L300 with SOHC 63 I picked up that had blown its head gasket between cylinders 1 & 2, and also ran the big ends on cylinders 1 & 4. I literally just ordered new standard sized bearings, rings, gaskets etc and slapped it back together giving the cylinder walls a hone with a drill mounted 3-stone hone and polished up the crank journals the best I could and it ran fine afterwards. That said I did sell it the week after so I don't know how long the engine would have truly lasted.

Personally myself I would drop the crank in to be measured (to make sure it's within spec or hasn't already been ground) and then polished up. They probably wouldn't go ahead and polish it if the measurements aren't within spec. Then assemble the motor with STD sized bearings and using plastigauge to check the clearances still. Make sure you use proper engine assembly grease or any moly grease.

The SOHC 63 is such a cheap engine to rebuild, the parts amount to no more than $200, they're easy to disassemble/assemble and require no special tools or procedures to assemble like the newer motors. I have a Mitsubishi workshop manual in PDF format for the 4G6x engines if you want me to e-mail it to you.

nah I would definitely use green because I'm pretty sure the tolerances for the 63 are on the lower end of the scale. This would be especially true when putting together the motor with NEW bearings etc.

*edit* found the specified clearance is 0.02 to 0.05mm with the absolute limit being 0.1mm - you wouldn't even be able to measure that with the red one.