Mrs shavenYak's 1985 Mitsubishi L200

shavenYak

So the missus decided she needed a ute to transport our wet dogs, so after a very brief hunt on trademe we found this:

183681017_full.jpg

183680953_full.jpg

183681059_full.jpg

183681113_full.jpg

183681157_full.jpg

183681212_full.jpg

Amber picked it up from Herald Island in Auckland and drove it down to Ashhurst - went sweet, used about 11L/100km.

Fast forward a couple days, the ute was driven to Hastings, where it decided to shit it's pants. Oil pump died/blocked and motor seized.

Ute is now in Hastings, in need of new engine or block. Been looking at my options - easiest and cheapest would be to replace with standard 8v SOHC 4g63, but open to alternatives. What you got OS?

• 1 month later...

So as per discussion thread, short block has been sourced (thanks fuel), new rings and bearings installed, and THIS weekend it will be getting plonked into the engine bay.

Successfully extracted a bunch of snapped bolts using weldy-screwy technique. Made a mess of it, but it was my first time!

web_DSCF1211.jpg

Here are some photos of new things:

web_DSCF1209.jpg

web_DSCF1212.jpg

• 1 year later...

just to fill in the timeline gap: Replacement block was sourced through Fueeeel. Got a hone and new bearings, reassembled and after a couple of trips back to Hastings the thing was back in action.

Has been pretty good apart from some carb troubles and losing water from somewhere. Managed to let it overheat a couple of times, which leads me to present day - got a bit hot on the motorway, pulled over to take a look and top up water etc and noticed poo brown milkshake oil. Grr..

Got the head looked at - as it turns out I could have spotted the issue pretty easy had I had a look.

Here's a photo of my big gaping crack: (NSFW)

DSCF2770_zpsdbb8f32c.jpg

Bought a new head and will be installing it this weekend.