KLR250, The build

KLR250

Starting trial fitting the EL dash, looks like its going to fit nicely (Once i trim and mod it)

suprisingly, the curvature at the top match's the XF

101_0509.jpg

101_0508.jpg

101_0510.jpg

not quite sitting right yet, gotta do some mods.

Managed to score the sunroof ive been after (EL XR). These dont require a rolled edge like the old style ones do, just a hole to be cut, then the rubber seal slips over the cut

101_0507.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just found a front set of shockwaves on ebay, At least $250 cheaper than normal from airide melbourne so i bought them.

SKW_1022.jpg

now i just have to chase up some rear shockwaves.

Ill be using SKW8000 series for the back with a stud mount top. These will go where the factory shock's would normally bolt. Because of the diameter of the shockwaves ill have to extend the lower shock mounting on the diff housing to acheive the travel i want, the body of the shockwave will not fit up inside the factory shock tower, so i need to pancake the shock tower (make it shorter) and gain the extra travel on the diff.

Finished welding the cowl back on, few more welds to go around the windscreen, but apart from that the hard yacka in that department is done. Just about ready to smooth the firewall with filler, so ive stripped the firewall and cowl to bare metal. The corner peices i welded and and blended them into the innerguards etc. I also cut the top lip off the cowl where it joins the firewall

some pics

blended corner peices

101_0535.jpg

in this pic i welded a small strip in to join the inner guard to the cowl lip

101_0534.jpg

stripped

To ensure everything is really smooth the whole lot will be covered in filler, obviously 95% of it will be rubbed off

101_0533.jpg

101_0536.jpg

so, the plan is to start smoothing the firewall and work my way forward, ive still got plenty of welding to do, so ill just keep poking along

More pics. The corners are tricky, its slow going, but i spent 5 hours sanding and filling today beleive it or not, bear in mind, im not what youd call efficient at using filler lol, im learning as i go

still more coats to go, then a glaze coat once ive gotten things close

101_0544.jpg

101_0543.jpg

101_0541.jpg

101_0538.jpg

I had to epoxy the firewall, Im far from finished the filler work, but i needed to keep the surface rust away,and also get an idea on pinholes,edges,corners etc.

I reckon i have 15 hours left just in the firewall

I feel like doing what glenn suggested and removing the rib on the passenger side of the firewall, and also cutting those heater box mounting bumps out of the centre and the passenger side, will clean it up a heap nicer.

also have to get into the trans tunnell and sort those wrinkles out

Im wrapped at how its turning out,considering all my filler work is only roughed in

Front airbags will be here tommorrow, dunno why im excited, its not as if i can use them for ages lol

101_0545.jpg

101_0546.jpg

look what greeted me at work this morning

101_0547.jpg

The Quality of this stuff is unbeleivably good, the finish, maching etc is just awsome. You know what its like, you see pictures on the net, looks bling, you get it, its not quite as bling as the pictures suggest, this stuff is awsome

101_0548.jpg

101_0549.jpg

101_0550.jpg

101_0551.jpg

101_0552.jpg

I couldnt help myself, had to put them together lol (I put the tops on upside down lol)

101_0553.jpg

101_0554.jpg

Ive been pretty busy over the last couple of days, I wont have pics till saturday though, just gotta sort them out. Ive stripped the front suspension out completly and am slowly welding up all the seams. Ive welded the strut towers inside and out, and have also welded up the outide of the chassis rails. Im about to fill all the holes on top of the strut towers and redo them to look better with the allloy billit tops of the shockwave airbags. I also want to make some strut braces from the towers to the firewall lip

Also found some Tribal graphic vectors online and have done a few photoshops of a few ideas

Georges car gets photoshopped for the 1000th time ;)

Im thinking a mettalic silver graphic painted on, Im really liking the two tone now, excuse my dodgy photoshop skills, Im really considering the two tone option

Tribal.jpg

blackcopy.jpg

Update time

Bear with me as my keyboard is buggered and i cant find my spare the fullstop doesnt work

Suspension removed so i could start welding the other side

100_0717.jpg

100_0715.jpg

100_0716.jpg

Started welding up the front end to get the thing a bit stiffer

100_0731.jpg

100_0733.jpg

100_0737.jpg

100_0728.jpg

Then started welding up the top of the shocktowers to get a smooth uncluttered look

I repositioned the mounting holes

100_0727.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0739.jpg

100_0735.jpg

100_0741.jpg

100_0743.jpg

100_0744.jpg

100_0730.jpg

Lots of other shit but im having issues lifting the pictures of my memory stick ill give it another crack tommorow

Today i decided to get rid of some surface rust, so i applied some phosphuric acid and rubbed everything with a red scotch brite pad, then i deactivated it by using a damp cloth (damp with water) then finally applying some wax and grease remover, ill repeat this a few times before i lay down some epoxy. this procedure for surface rust removal works really well.

100_0752.jpg

100_0754.jpg

100_0755.jpg

100_0756.jpg

Then i started on smoothing the drivers side shock tower reapeting the procedure id previously done on the passenger side shock tower, I welded in some 1mm sheet

100_0757.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0760.jpg

100_0761.jpg

The filler i neglected to prime on the firewall will now be removed, bare filler left to long should not be painted over, as its porous and can allow rust to start underneath, not to mention any moisture that the filler will absorb over time, so ill have redo it

More soon

By flipping the bump stop around I can get them to sit at a better angle, I dummied up the upper wishbone and airbag so i could double check it all worked. The factory bump stop touch's the wishbone 5mm before the internal shockwave bump stop touched, and once all the weight is put on both bumpstops are firm, so it worked out perfectly

100_0774.jpg

100_0773.jpg

Finished welding up the passenger side today, Bump stop plate is welded in, nearly ready to use some filler on the inner guards

100_0775.jpg

100_0780.jpg

also had to do some shrinking on the inner guard, i put to much heat into it and warped it good, so i did a series of spot welds and quenched them with a damp cloth. Normally you would use an oxy to heat things up, i dont have one. its come up pretty good, just needs some finnessing with a hammer and dolly now

100_0777.jpg

100_0778.jpg

100_0781.jpg

Hopefully i can get a start on my strut brace this week

i decided to dummy up my suspension to double check a few things. Because ive moved my bumpstop plates up they end up moving further out, so there is a concern the tyre may hit it. Looks like its all worked out, no clearence problems so far. The suspension will squash lower than this with the full weight of the motor and drivetrain

all in all im pretty happy, im able to retain the factory bump stops, but still get it slammed, the factory stops will stop the shockwaves ever getting damaged,, added insurance, and the bump stop plates strengthen the front end by quite a lot being welded in on 3 sides.

100_0782.jpg

100_0783.jpg

this picture shows the steering almost at full lock ( couldnt quite get the last bit as the trolley jack is in the way)

100_0784.jpg

100_0785.jpg

One thing i definatly will do is alter the radius rod bushings, ill either replace them with a big rose jont and cross bolt them through the factory bracket, or buy the rrs bearing assembly's, as the bushings really put a lot of tension on suspension causing quite a bit of bind. Interestingly, the factory ball joints still have a fairbit more movment in them before they bind, they have a lot more travel than a lot of the aftermarket ball joints ive seen

Ive had 0 Motorvation this weekend :(

Pick up a steering Rack of gary next weekend all going to plan.

Am about to start on my engine mountings, this is where i wouldnt mind some opinions.

I want to fabricate something like this to weld onto my mounting plates

12431861951.jpg

and make something like this to bolt to the engine

12431861962.jpg

Id weld these things directly onto the engine mount plates

100_0920.jpg

100_0921.jpg

which will utilise a urethane bush with a grade 8 bolt through it.

is there any reason everyone puts the urethane mount on the engine, with the receiver on the chassis? i want the urethane mounting on the chassis with the receiver on the engine...get me?

Went down and picked my steering rack up from gary (XdEE) today, Thanks Gary

It bolted up, and so far i reckon my measurments were pretty good, rack height seems ideal. Need to shorten the arms slightly and tap some thread

Uni joint angle looks spot on to.

Tie rod taper appears to be the same as X series which is handy.

i didnt really clean anything, just bolted it up, Once i shorten the steering arms i can start on bump steer measurments

100_0926.jpg

100_0925.jpg

100_0923.jpg

100_0922.jpg

100_0927.jpg

Okay, pressure washed the rack today, all the paint came off and it looked like brand new, Gary really looked after me on this one, its immaculate!

100_0929.jpg

100_0932.jpg

For the first time ever my measurments were spot on with everything, this NEVER happens when i use a ruler or tape lol

With the 6mm spacers i made between the rack and the cradle it fits beautifully

100_0938.jpg

100_0935.jpg

100_0936.jpg

Here you can see how well the steering shaft is poitioned, uni joint angle is minimal, there should be no bind whatsoever

100_0937.jpg

Height is spot on, tie rod angles look really good

100_0930.jpg

100_0934.jpg

Got both the rack ends shortened this week, bolted them up last night to check steering lock etc

I dont quite get the maximum lock yet as i still have to shorten my steering arms on the stub axles, theres another 10mm before it hits the steering stop on the stub axle. Danny (Xdrift) has kindly lent me his 7deg reamer so i can ream out new tie rod holes.

Initial bump steer measurments are no where near as bad as i thought they were going to be, from full droop through 4" of travel shows a maximum of 2.5mm toe change, but so far things look promising, as the actual area of travel you would be driving the car in wouldnt be to bad at all. This is with the stock lower control arms, so im pretty happy. Mind you, ive only done this with a tape measure, im going to set up a better measuring rig with a laser level

100_0949.jpg

100_0948.jpg

100_0946.jpg

100_0945.jpg

100_0944.jpg

100_0943.jpg

100_0942.jpg

100_0941.jpg